Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mac Air 2013 Options

• 20-04-2020 9:52pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,657 ✭✭✭

I have a Mac Air 2013 model bought it new and its been one of those possessions I really have grown attached too its always just worked. The battery life and it being so compact and lightweight is great.

However its biggest drawback is the 126GB SSD. In the last year I am always running out of memory and OS updates are a challenge as I always end up having to delete stuff to have space to download the update. Currently on Mojave and wondering the fact it's getting older should I stop updating it as will newer updates just slow it down more. It can be slow at times and I really think it is more down to me ending up being tight on memory.

My main question is what are my options with the memory. Is it possible to install a bigger SSD if so where would I get one and is it worth doing on an older machine.

Is there an alternative i.e. buy an external hard drive and just keep big files stored on that anyone any experience doing this or would it just end up being slow.

Or I suppose the other option is to call it a day with this Air which after 7 years it doesn't owe me anything and just buy a new Air with 256GB SSD or maybe even a Pro. Which either will be faster and solve my memory problems.

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,679 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Depends how cheaply you can do it. Personally I wouldn't invest any significant money into a machine that old. It has had a great run and may continue to work for years. It could also fail completely tomorrow. So if I were you I'd be looking towards getting one of the new MacBook Airs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭Irishphotodesk

Best option I would suggest would be to add a western digital my cloud to your broadband router at home, transfer and keep files on your mycloud and you can work away with your MacBook without using up space.
    It can be a bit slow to access the drive but it’s an option.

As you also suggested a plug in hard drive would be a similar solution ....but it would mean bringing a drive with you everywhere.

I have a 256gb drive on my MacBook and when working I clear it on a daily basis onto the mycloud.
    As the professor says, start looking at the newer ones - I had a 2012 MacBook which originally cost me 3k - it’s currently sitting in my office - have been quoted over 1k to repair, I picked up a secondhand 2017 MacBook to replace it ...total cost €800.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 895 ✭✭✭brav

If I was upgrading it I would prob just put a bigger ssd in there from https://eshop.macsales.com/shop/ssd/owc/macbook-air/2013-2014-2015

However the non Retina display would make that air feel really old so if budget allowed I would try to move up to the newer models.

In terms of ssd size, I think now a days 256 is still too small and the 480/512 minimum

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,657 ✭✭✭CIP4

Thanks all for the advice.

Yes I am thinking the best option is to just look at getting a replacement. Whenever I get around to buying one will go new as when I have kept my current one so long I think it is worth going new. I am very torn though between going for a Pro or a new Air. See below two I picked most likely spec wise. I like how light and thin the air is. But then I think the touch bar is really nice on the pro. What other differences should I consider do you reckon the Pro is worth the extra money. Is there much of a difference in screen quality between the two ?

Macbook Air 1.1GHz i5 256GB SSD €1,279
    Macbook Pro 1.4GHz i5 256GB SSD €1,799

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,992 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

Touchbar is a gimmick, I very rarely use it.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,679 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Yeah, I wouldn't get the Pro for the Touch Bar. It would actually put me off it tbh. The Air has the only really useful part of it: the Touch ID sensor.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,657 ✭✭✭CIP4

Yes just looking for an extra €80 you can get an i7 Air so that seems like at good option. Touch Bar aside I don’t see the benefit of the pro for the extra money when the air should be grand performance wise for my needs.

Advertisement