Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gig Regrets

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 778 ✭✭✭no.8

Audioslave - Dublin (early 2000's)
    Daft Punk - various festivals

• Registered Users Posts: 7,427 ✭✭✭prunudo

Two extremes but as others have said, raging I missed Prince in Malahide but also had tickets to the Prodigy in and around Christmas 2011 or 12 and sold them as too much on. Never did get to see them properly :(

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,074 ✭✭✭LoughNeagh2017

Linkin Park, I only realised how good they were after Chester Bennington died and it annoyed me so much that I considered stopping listening to them but I figured that if I could see Mike Shinoda live that would ease my annoyance a bit. A saw him live last year which eases my annoyance a bit as he was band leader and main song writer but it will still cause me annoyance until the grave. It also caused me to go to concerts more often incase other musicians die.

For a normal person this sort of thing would just be an occasional thought but for someone whose mind is plagued by over thinking and OCD things like this cause me considerable annoyance.

I pity the people who had Linkin Park tickets for a cancelled show and I also pity people who were fans of a solo musician who died without having seen them, in that scenario you can't even see another band member in concert.

The other good thing to come out of it is that I appreciate seeing other bands live, I think that fans in 50 years won't experience seeing these bands live. Bands like Slipknot and Korn will have fans long after they die I would say.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,018 ✭✭✭✭adox

keith_d99 wrote: »
    Bowie's last performance in Ireland ... the Point 2003

Gave the pair of tickets (were O2 Club tickets) to mate ... who ended up sat beside The Edge for the gig.
    Have no recollection what was so important that I couldn't go

It was a truly brilliant gig. He seemed to have a brilliant time playing as well. Up there with the best gigs I’ve been to.

Prince for me as well in Malahide Castle is a huge regret. My folks lived about a mile and a half from the venue so could have walked to their place afterwards to crash.

Beth Hart has played here a a couple of times in the last half dozen years or so and I’ve missed both. I’ve never seen her love and she’s always been on my list. At this stage I’m nearly too old to be going to gigs.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,018 ✭✭✭✭adox

my biggest regret was not seeing crowded house live. i did see Neil finn and his son though we were right up front at the olympia

Saw them when they played The Point in 94. Brought my then girlfriend(now wife) and it was her first ever gig. They were fantastic and top of their game at the time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,719 ✭✭✭4Ad

The Smiths in Limerick 1984, I think...(though I try not to think about it)..damn.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,792 ✭✭✭hynesie08

Oxegen 05, went to see foo fighters instead of James brown, foos were great and all, but I regret that decision way more than I should.

• Registered Users Posts: 619 ✭✭✭Dj Stiggie

Linkin Park, I only realised how good they were after Chester Bennington died and it annoyed me so much that I considered stopping listening to them but I figured that if I could see Mike Shinoda live that would ease my annoyance a bit. A saw him live last year which eases my annoyance a bit as he was band leader and main song writer but it will still cause me annoyance until the grave. It also caused me to go to concerts more often incase other musicians die.

For a normal person this sort of thing would just be an occasional thought but for someone whose mind is plagued by over thinking and OCD things like this cause me considerable annoyance.

I pity the people who had Linkin Park tickets for a cancelled show and I also pity people who were fans of a solo musician who died without having seen them, in that scenario you can't even see another band member in concert.

The other good thing to come out of it is that I appreciate seeing other bands live, I think that fans in 50 years won't experience seeing these bands live. Bands like Slipknot and Korn will have fans long after they die I would say.

I was a massive LP fan all through my teenage years. I listened to them non-stop and had my auntie in America send me over a hoodie from Hot Topic or something because I could never find anything in Dublin. I saw Mike Shinoda/ Fort Minor in 2016.

Then in 2017 I went to Hurricane Festival in Germany. I was still a big fan but not nearly as fanatic as I was in their (or my teenage) prime. Anyway they were playing late on the mainstage and myself and my then-girlfriend had been in the arena area all day and by the time they came on we were shattered. We stayed way at the back for about three or four songs. I think we left after we heard one we knew and figured we'd see them again on tour, not a festival with dodgy sound. Less than a month later Chester was dead.

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭gabria

keith_d99 wrote: »
    Bowie's last performance in Ireland ... the Point 2003

Gave the pair of tickets (were O2 Club tickets) to mate ... who ended up sat beside The Edge for the gig.
    Have no recollection what was so important that I couldn't go

+1 my biggest concert regret ever. I was all set for his Oxygen performance the following year and that was cancelled as his health scares started

• Registered Users Posts: 3,625 ✭✭✭dasdog

U2 (1985) - One of the neighbours had a spare ticket for me but I was still in primary school and wasn't allowed go
    Slayer (1988) - I would have seen the big four of thrash in the space of a year but didn't go to Slayer (and Anthrax walked off stage when they played)
    Bootsy Collins (1995) - Mean Fiddler - Probably didn't go due to lack of funds and it was supposedly superb
    David Byrne (2018) - Just too many gigs on that year and I gave it a miss - looked like an amazing show

Also to my shame I never saw Motorhead and had my chances. A friend of mine from years ago was even a roadie for them at one stage.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,305 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

Springsteen at Slane in 1985. Myself and a guy I worked with talked about going and then he decided he didn't want to go so we never got tickets. Fcuker ended up going anyway when a mate of his was sick on the day and there was a spare ticket going. To be fair to him though, he did feel pretty bad about it. Or so he said!

The other one I regret missing is Alabama 3 at Tripod in 2007. I actually had a ticket for it but I had an accident and was still recuperating by the time the gig came around and couldn't go. Never managed to see them live in the end, and it just wouldn't be the same now since Jake Black died.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,305 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

dasdog wrote: »
    David Byrne (2018) - Just too many gigs on that year and I gave it a miss - looked like an amazing show

It was. Best gig I've ever been to, and probably ever will be.

• Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭garyskeepers

Biggest regret, Bruce Springstein. :(

Although Only reason I didn't go is my daughter was born that day. Way to ruin my plans Katie

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 2,254 Mod ✭✭✭✭Nigel Fairservice

Mine is not going to see Tom Petty in Cork in 2012. I really wanted to ask my gf to go but we had only been going out a few weeks at the time and I didn't know if she liked him or not so I never asked. Turned out she loved him.

I also regret not going to David Byrne and Incubus in 2018 and The Cure last year.

• Registered Users Posts: 284 ✭✭parttime

I also regret not going to David Byrne and Incubus in 2018 and The Cure last year.

Jesus, me too. I saw them in 92, and didn't see them since. Really hope they tour again. They probably will

• Registered Users Posts: 29,492 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

Bb king London, shortly before he died, was just shy of buying a ticket

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

Faith No More 2009 Olympia

Yeah, I was on holidays when that was on so missed it too. Not really a regret though as it was out of my hands.

My biggest regret is missing the Foo Fighters in the Olympia on the TTILTL tour. I had just started a new job and was told there was a 50% chance I'd be working away when it was on so I didn't buy a ticket. And of course that trip never materialised so I was around that night but couldn't get a ticket at that stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,968 ✭✭✭furiousox

Pink Floyd sometime in the mid 90's.
    A few friends were going, coach, ticket, accommodation all available.
    "Ah, I won't bother. I'll catch them next time..."
    Still waiting.......:(

CPL 593H

• Registered Users Posts: 426 ✭✭niallo76

Jeff Buckley played the Tivoli in 1995,was in January so I was probably broke after Christmas at the time,but regretted it not getting to see him.

• Registered Users Posts: 730 ✭✭✭holly8

Bob Marley Dalymount Park 1980 ... huge regret!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭showpony1

Drake last March.

I'm sure he'll be back though

I saw his last 4 gigs at 3 arena, that last was best since 2012 one and arguably better than that.

He seems to be back every second March.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,526 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

Prince at Malahide Castle. I couldn't get the day off work. I should have called in sick. What a huge mistake on my part.

David Berman played in Galway a few years back. I hadn't heard of him at the time, so I didn't bother going.

John Grant, also playing in Galway, back just around the time Queen of Denmark was released. I've seen him since, but I would have loved to have seen him in such an intimate space, just as he was about to blow up and he was still an unknown quantity.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭showpony1

My biggest regret is missing the Foo Fighters in the Olympia on the TTILTL tour. I had just started a new job and was told there was a 50% chance I'd be working away when it was on so I didn't buy a ticket. And of course that trip never materialised so I was around that night but couldn't get a ticket at that stage.

I was at that myself - only song i knew was Breakout at the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,014 ✭✭✭Wooderson

2003 was some year. McCartney, Springsteen in the space of 4 days in May. Springsteen still lives long in the memory. Slane in August had one of their strongest ever line ups - Chilis/Foos/QOTSA/PJ Harvey. Then the Stones and Bowie in the Autumn?

Mad, Ted.

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭Undercover

hynesie08 wrote: »
    Oxegen 05, went to see foo fighters instead of James brown, foos were great and all, but I regret that decision way more than I should.

The tent was packed for that one. Had to watch it through the gap from outside. If it helps you any, he had a fella hitting most of the high notes for him. Given his age that was no surprise. He still had the charisma though. Like a lot of the old timers, even when past their best, they're supported by the best session musicians in the business so you're still guaranteed a top show.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,183 ✭✭✭jobless

guns n roses in slane - wont get to see them this june now either :(

when i was a kid.... the prodigy in the point depot

• Registered Users Posts: 2,014 ✭✭✭Wooderson

jobless wrote: »

when i was a kid.... the prodigy in the point depot

The two NYE shows were a larf.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,834 ✭✭✭griffin100

Guns and Roses in Slane in 1992. It was a toss up between this and the Trinity Ball. I choose badly :mad:

Gary Moore and his One Night In Dublin tribute to Phil in 2005. I never even knew it was on until I seen it broadcast on TV years later. I was a huge Gary Moore fan and don't know how I missed this.

Paul McCartney in the Point in December 2009. Myself and the wife were on the way up to Dublin but had to turn back because of the severe weather (ice and snow). I still regret it.

I regret never seeing Phil Lynott at any stage, I am a couple of years too young :cool:

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 14,951 Mod ✭✭✭✭Furious-Red

The first one off the top of my head was at Oxegen 2007 choosing The Killers over Daft Punk, to this day i have never forgiven myself

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,891 ✭✭✭✭Rothko

Not any one particular gig but I really regret not going to see Leonard Cohen any of the many times he was over here.

Advertisement