Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gig Regrets

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,138 ✭✭✭dinneenp

Frank Sinarta (get it?.....)

• Registered Users Posts: 21,040 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

Prince in Malahide Castle 2011. F**kin raged about it. My justification was that 100eu was way too expensive which it seemed at the time. Even writing this annoys me

100 was dear then and is now!!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,159 ✭✭✭rednik

My brother and best friend asked me to go the Concert for George in the RAH in 2002 and I declined, to this day I regret saying no and watching the concert regularly rubs it in even more. Great lineup on the night and some of the stars on stage have since passed away.

I regret being to young to see all the metal gigs in the Top hat circa 88-90

holly8 wrote: »
    Bob Marley Dalymount Park 1980 ... huge regret!

rough as a badgers b0ll0x i'd say!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,018 ✭✭✭✭adox

Saw Metallica there in 88 and Faith No More in 90. Both fantastic gigs.

FNM came on at some mad hour (near 11PM or something) because they had to do a last minute top of the pops recoding before flying over for the gig.

adox wrote: »
    Saw Metallica there in 88 and Faith No More in 90. Both fantastic gigs.

FNM came on at some mad hour (near 11PM or something) because they had to do a last minute top of the pops recoding before flying over for the gig.

great time to be alive :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,968 ✭✭✭furiousox

Looking back on it now, the SFX was an unbelievable venue for rock and metal back in the 80's.
    The amount of US bands that stopped off there on their way to the UK.....
    Seeing Metallica with Cliff on bass a couple of weeks before he died was a highlight.

CPL 593H

• Registered Users Posts: 19,018 ✭✭✭✭adox

furiousox wrote: »
    Looking back on it now, the SFX was an unbelievable venue for rock and metal back in the 80's.
    The amount of US bands that stopped off there on their way to the UK.....
    Seeing Metallica with Cliff on bass a couple of weeks before he died was a highlight.

Was there too. Anthrax playing support. Some amount of gigs there alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 324 ✭✭spindex

The first one off the top of my head was at Oxegen 2007 choosing The Killers over Daft Punk, to this day i have never forgiven myself

The only time I was grateful for noise bleed, myself and a mate were waiting for the killers to take the stage and could hear Daft punk starting off with robot rock and decided to head over. They were feckin mind boggling good

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,719 ✭✭✭4Ad

Nirvana ?? Or did they play ??

• Registered Users Posts: 3,625 ✭✭✭dasdog

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    Bb king London, shortly before he died, was just shy of buying a ticket
    He actually played a free gig on College Green in 1994 and it was glorious summer evening and a wonderful show. Actually Rory Gallagher did a free gig the year before there and I didn't go.
    Saw Metallica/Danzig, Death/Kreator, Faith No More, Suicidal Tendencies/M.O.D, Sepultura and Anthrax there in those two years. Loved going out to that place.
    4Ad wrote: »
    Nirvana ?? Or did they play ??
    They supported Sonic Youth in 1991. Apparently the audience just stood there with their jaws open.

• Registered Users Posts: 308 ✭✭spodoinkle

James Brown at Oxegen, he died shortly after, cant remember the year but it was the main stage after the headliners

• Registered Users Posts: 6,968 ✭✭✭furiousox

Rothko wrote: »
    Not any one particular gig but I really regret not going to see Leonard Cohen any of the many times he was over here.

The gigs he did in the Point were excellent but the gig in Kilmainham was extraordinary.
    I never saw a crowd reaction like it, people were in awe of him.

CPL 593H

• Registered Users Posts: 730 ✭✭✭holly8

rough as a badgers b0ll0x i'd say!!!

wtf?

• Registered Users Posts: 22,307 ✭✭✭✭endacl

PTH2009 wrote: »
    One gig I would of loving to see was Simon & Garfunkel supported by The Everly Brothers in the RDS in 2004. Anyone at that gig ??.
    I was at that. Would’ve been great if it wasn’t for all the D4 knobs at the show. It was a really weird experience. FOH sound was relatively low. Kinda what you’d expect from a theatre show, which meant the bulk of the audio experience was hearing all the Jeremys waffling away as if they were in the bar in Kielys.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,402 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

The RDS for such a rundown place has played host to many top artists down through the years and the horse show is world famous. Saw Bon Jovi x2, Foo Fighters and Bruce Springsteen there. The Food/drink areas are grand esp on a warm day but not a fan of the Anglesea stand for concerts. Its in a fairly bad condition

Remember Won tickets to the Linkin Park gig there but found out to late and could not go :(:(. Killer lineup with Queens of the stone age and Coheed & Cambria supporting. :(:(

What happend to the Ammbassator Theatre hosting concerts ??

• Registered Users Posts: 2,014 ✭✭✭Wooderson

spodoinkle wrote: »
    James Brown at Oxegen, he died shortly after, cant remember the year but it was the main stage after the headliners

Maybe I'm getting years mixed up but memory tells me he was in a tent.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,834 ✭✭✭griffin100

dasdog wrote: »
    He actually played a free gig on College Green in 1994 and it was glorious summer evening and a wonderful show. Actually Rory Gallagher did a free gig the year before there and I didn't go.

The Temple Bar Blues Festival if I remember correctly. The BB King gig was amazing, but like you I missed the Rory Gallagher one the year before. What makes it worse is that I was in a pub about a mile away and could have wandered on down but never did. I think Robert Cray also played a free gig as part of the festival one year.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,792 ✭✭✭hynesie08

Wooderson wrote: »
    Maybe I'm getting years mixed up but memory tells me he was in a tent.

He played 05 as second stage headliner, then played 06 as the main stage closer (first couple of years they'd put someone on after the main act on Saturday to stagger the crowd)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭afro man

AC/DC 1979 Dublin ( Bon Scott RIP) one of my biggest regets ever young and foolish :mad:

holly8 wrote: »
    wtf?
    irish bob marley fans in the 80s were notorious!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭kenmm

Prince in Malahide Castle 2011. F**kin raged about it. My justification was that 100eu was way too expensive which it seemed at the time. Even writing this annoys me

Prince in Budapest in 2011. Was there the whole week before and after as well..

Nine Inch Nails in the Royal Albert Hall, London a couple of years ago. I had tickets but couldn't find anyone to go with so flogged them and gave it a miss. I knew I was doing the wrong thing even as I was doing it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,625 ✭✭✭dasdog

griffin100 wrote: »
    The Temple Bar Blues Festival if I remember correctly. The BB King gig was amazing, but like you I missed the Rory Gallagher one the year before. What makes it worse is that I was in a pub about a mile away and could have wandered on down but never did. I think Robert Cray also played a free gig as part of the festival one year.

That's gas - I think I was only up the road in a pub in Dame Street myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,802 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

DukeCaboom wrote: »
    Nada surf in cork 2006, i skipped it to see a girl that wasn't that into me :) only after that i really got into them. Fecking kills me even thinking about it now.
    They are still back a fair bit. I have seen them in Whelan's twice (once fairly recently I think 2018)
    Brilliant live

• Registered Users Posts: 2,363 ✭✭✭Acosta

spodoinkle wrote: »

2008 and I don't. NIN were on at roughly the same time. Possibly the best gig I was ever at.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,792 ✭✭✭hynesie08

Acosta wrote: »
    2008 and I don't. NIN were on at roughly the same time. Possibly the best gig I was ever at.

Can't believe you passed up a once in a lifetime chance to see him, considering he died in 2006.....And NIN were 09

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 14,951 Mod ✭✭✭✭Furious-Red

Acosta wrote: »

NIN headlined the 2nd stage in 09

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

ONly thing I kind of regret right now, is not having seen Motorhead live while i had plenty of chances to. They were usually on the bill in Donnington whenever I was over, but was checking out other bands at the time.
    PTH2009 wrote: »
    One gig I would of loving to see was Simon & Garfunkel supported by The Everly Brothers in the RDS in 2004. Anyone at that gig ??. Obv none of those acts are touring anytime soon unless time travel or resurrection become a thing

I was working at it for packing the stuff away after. Was very odd to see them enter and leave seperately.

Advertisement