Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gig Regrets

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 38,402 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

It's a pity the members of Led Zepplin cant settle there differences and tour again

There is a documentary in the making so they might help

• Registered Users Posts: 11,933 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

PTH2009 wrote: »
    It's a pity the members of Led Zepplin cant settle there differences and tour again

There is a documentary in the making so they might help

Not a hope....ever

• Registered Users Posts: 35 MosherRock426

Nine Inch Nails in the Royal Albert Hall, London a couple of years ago. I had tickets but couldn't find anyone to go with so flogged them and gave it a miss. I knew I was doing the wrong thing even as I was doing it.

I saw them in Manchester on the Hesitation Marks tour. Possibly around a similar time to that royal Albert hall show. They were outstanding!
    Hope they do a world tour again in Europe instead of letting the states have all the fun and dying to get physical copies of the latest installments of Ghosts they just dropped digital releases for.

The RDS

Remember Won tickets to the Linkin Park gig there but found out to late and could not go :(:(. Killer lineup with Queens of the stone age and Coheed & Cambria supporting. :(:(

What happend to the Ammbassator Theatre hosting concerts ??

I was at that RDS Linkin park/Queens/Coheed gig. It was immense! Arrived a tad late tho and missed coheeds set and was ragin. Queens were good tho and I despise them. Just not my bag. Was there for Linkin park and Coheed. Caught last two songs of coheeds set tho. Was one of the most life affirming gigs I was at and a concert that really shaped my adult years following. Think it might have been my first concert iirc

Few bands I missed over the years I would have liked to have caught - bear tooth the times they came and did Dublin
    Trivium not too long ago
    Rolo tomassi
    I wrestled a bear once
    Norma jean
    Slipknot that time they came with korn
    Lamb of god the times they came (I remember the time they played Dublin and had dying fetus supporting.. a friend was going and I was sickened as it sold out)
    Alice in chains
    Faith no more in 09
    Paramore during the after laughter tour
    The two deftones shows awhile back

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,037 ✭✭✭DukeCaboom

Wooderson wrote: »
    2003 was some year. McCartney, Springsteen in the space of 4 days in May. Springsteen still lives long in the memory. Slane in August had one of their strongest ever line ups - Chilis/Foos/QOTSA/PJ Harvey. Then the Stones and Bowie in the Autumn?

Mad, Ted.

Qotsa in slane is my favorite gig ever.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,014 ✭✭✭Wooderson

DukeCaboom wrote: »
    Qotsa in slane is my favorite gig ever.

They stole the show that day.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,285 ✭✭✭forumdedum

One gig I would of loving to see was Simon & Garfunkel supported by The Everly Brothers in the RDS in 2004. Anyone at that gig ??. Obv none of those acts are touring anytime soon unless time travel or resurrection become a thing

Sadly too young at the time and wasn't allowed go too gigs til a few years after that.

Regret not seeing Elton John live but hoping to pick a ticket for one of his Dublin shows on the current tour if it still goes ahead

Yes saw S&G, Everly Bros that time. Brilliant. I recall audience not wanting the Everlys to stop playing. I also remember people would start singing along to S&G, then stop singing so they could listen to the incredible vocals.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,402 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

forumdedum wrote: »
    Yes saw S&G, Everly Bros that time. Brilliant. I recall audience not wanting the Everlys to stop playing. I also remember people would start singing along to S&G, then stop singing so they could listen to the incredible vocals.

People singing along loudly is a pet hate of mine

I didn't pay to listen to you sing

• Registered Users Posts: 14,526 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

Few bands I missed over the years I would have liked to have caught - bear tooth the times they came and did Dublin
    Trivium not too long ago
    Rolo tomassi
    I wrestled a bear once
    Norma jean
    Slipknot that time they came with korn
    Lamb of god the times they came (I remember the time they played Dublin and had dying fetus supporting.. a friend was going and I was sickened as it sold out)
    Alice in chains
    Faith no more in 09
    Paramore during the after laughter tour
    The two deftones shows awhile back

I went to see At The Drive In at Vicar Street a few years ago, as soon as it was over I went to see Rolo Tomasi play a late show in Whelans. Ah, that was a great night.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,726 ✭✭✭SteM

Had a ticket for Sufjan Stevens in the Douglas Hyde Gallery in Trinity years ago. The wife was ill that night and we didn't go, still annoyed about that one.

At 17, I had the parent-imposed choice of either going to Menswe@r or the Bowie/Morrissey double header. I inexplicably chose the former. Worse, it was cancelled. This was late 95.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭blastman

Hope they do a world tour again in Europe instead of letting the states have all the fun and dying to get physical copies of the latest installments of Ghosts they just dropped digital releases for.

Definitely want the Ghosts physical release and the long-promised Quake soundtrack as well! I also regret not having seen them live yet, along with skipping both Thin Lizzy on the Thunder & Lightning tour (effectively their last) and Rory Gallagher at Temple Bar (his last Irish gig), as well as being too young to have copped on to AC/DC and gone to see them with Bon Scott.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,140 ✭✭✭mosstin

Rothko wrote: »
    Sufjan Stevens 2015 in the Helix

It was around the time Carrie & Lowell was released. It's an album that took a while to grow on me so I passed on the chance to go to one of the gigs he was playing there. Since then, I've grown to love it and I really regret not going to see him.

The first night there was the single greatest gig I've ever been at. Sorry.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭kg703

My mam and dad (both in 70s now) went to the Simon and Garfunkel gig - my dad said it was the best concert he has ever been to. Still talks about it non stop. Showed him recently what youtube was and they got a smart tv so he can watch gigs on it. I also bought them tickets to the AC/DC gig in the Aviva. I could only afford to buy two tickets at the time and bought them for them. Absolutely raging I didnt just make myself broke and buy two more. He said that was his second favourite gig!

Plenty of gigs I wished I had have gone to - I'd say Prince in Malahide was definitely one. I have no idea why I didn't?! I was only 17 when Bowie last played was it 2003? I'd love to have gone but really wouldnt have appreciated it.

When I was younger, I was offered a ticket to Ozzfest but the ol mammy wouldnt let me go because I was only 14 or 15. I was sore about that for years. Had to travel to see system of a down but was worth it! Was due to see them again this June in Rock im Park but alas.... wont be happening.

Went to see Elton John last year because of the fear of never seeing him again. Was a great gig - well worth it.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,760 ✭✭✭Effects

I regret never getting to see James Brown.
    Prince in Malahide Castle 2011. F**kin raged about it. My justification was that 100eu was way too expensive which it seemed at the time. Even writing this annoys me

I had a ticket for the Croke Park gig, and when it was cancelled I got a refund.
    Then in 2011 it clashed with something else, and I thought I'll just see him next time.

I was at the Simon and Garfunkel in the RDS. Think the tickets tickets were about €140 as we were in the best section at the front.
    It was good, but I wasn't blown away. Great to see them together though. I've seen Paul Simon a few other times and much preferred the gigs.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,737 ✭✭✭✭Penn

I was a huge fan of Velvet Revolver back in the day. They were finally coming to play Ireland.... right in the middle of crunch period for my college dissertation. Said I'd give it a miss, catch them next time.

The tour ended with them breaking up. Now Scott Weiland is dead, and Slash & Duff are back with GnR.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,423 ✭✭✭✭Outlaw Pete

Was at that gig. Only gig I was ever at in the Ambassador.

Remember reading a few months later how they had enough of Scott's antics on-stage but he was well behaved that night.

Can't believe it's been 12 years. They played the Point around 2005 also I think.

Oxegen 2009 is another regret as Jane's Addiction were on the lineup that year and I've always wanted to see them. Some bands are worth going to a festival just to see and they for sure are one. Was set to do that this year with the Sunstroke festival just to see Faith No More.

Another for me is maybe The Cure in Malahide. I say maybe as I chose Metallica that day over it and while I loved it, mates tales of how epic The Cure gig was has been wondering if I'd have enjoyed that more. Love both bands and so guess I'll never know. Worse gig clash ever.

Oxegen 2009 is another regret as Jane's Addiction were on the lineup that year and I've always wanted to see them.

I went to Oxegen that year to see them and Nine Inch Nails. Enjoyed both, but felt like just ticking a box with NIN.

Also got to see M83 on a tiny stage and Fever Ray in the dance hangar. She cleared the place out as it was a change from what was usually on in there!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭evillive

Was promised tickets to Sonic Youth in the Top Hat in early 90s, tix fell through so didnt go, some 3 piece called Nirvana or something like that were the support act :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 9,792 ✭✭✭hynesie08

Penn wrote: »
    I was a huge fan of Velvet Revolver back in the day. They were finally coming to play Ireland.... right in the middle of crunch period for my college dissertation. Said I'd give it a miss, catch them next time.

The tour ended with them breaking up. Now Scott Weiland is dead, and Slash & Duff are back with GnR.
    They played the point in January 05, with the datsuns as support, and it was incredible

• Registered Users Posts: 6,968 ✭✭✭furiousox

...Another for me is maybe The Cure in Malahide. I say maybe as I chose Metallica that day over it and while I loved it, mates tales of how epic The Cure gig was has been wondering if I'd have enjoyed that more. Love both bands and so guess I'll never know. Worse gig clash ever.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9slp4aTkEpw

CPL 593H

• Registered Users Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

My only gig regret that comes to mind was bringing the pregnant wife to Bruce in Croker 4 years ago. I never sat at a gig before and I never will again. Absolutely shocking sound up in the Cusack

• Registered Users Posts: 8,138 ✭✭✭dinneenp

Crystal Castles in Galway 2008 (I think), a Heineken Green Sphere gig. I had free tickets but couldn't make it.

Guy who went instead said it was amazing, extermely intense short gig, singer banging off the ceiling. It was in Cuba, small boxy venue which was perfect for a band like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,625 ✭✭✭dasdog

Oxegen 2009 is another regret as Jane's Addiction were on the lineup that year and I've always wanted to see them. Some bands are worth going to a festival just to see and they for sure are one.

Another for me is maybe The Cure in Malahide. I say maybe as I chose Metallica that day over it and while I loved it, mates tales of how epic The Cure gig was has been wondering if I'd have enjoyed that more. Love both bands and so guess I'll never know. Worse gig clash ever.

I'm not a fan of outdoor concerts or festivals but they had to be seen. Lady Gaga doing Poker Face in a muddy field with an afternoon slot just before she really exploded on to the world stage also tempted me down. I lasted two songs but the potential was there. And The Specials. I was pretty lamped by the time Jane's Addiction came on but part of the reason I don't like festivals is the muppets that are there for happy clappy time and there was more than enough.

Metallica had to be seen that day in fairness.

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭UI_Paddy

Too many to mention.

Off the top of my head Beach Boys 2012 reunion and R.E.M's live rehearsals at the Olympia spring to mind.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭ozzy jr

Went to Rock in Rio last year to see Iron Maiden. There was plenty of other bands on, Antrax, Helloween and a few others, but I really wanted to catch The Scorpions.

Went in to the venue during daylight, seen a few of the support bands, no sign of The Scorpions. I guessed they played on a stage at a different part of the festival, or maybe had cancelled months ago!

Anyway Maiden came on, played away, had a great time, end of set, fireworks, lights came on, so I made my way to the exit.

A couple of days later I was looking on YouTube and a link to The Scorpions set showed up. I opened it and it was on the main stage in the dark, so they came on after Maiden.

I was sick :D

Rock in Rio was a great experience though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,726 ✭✭✭Arne_Saknussem

Wooderson wrote: »
    Maybe I'm getting years mixed up but memory tells me he was in a tent.

It was a tent in 2005, we showed up half an hour early and went round the back to smoke a spliff, got chatting, and when we came back round the tent was rammed and we couldn't get in!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭august12

Rothko wrote: »
    Not any one particular gig but I really regret not going to see Leonard Cohen any of the many times he was over here.
    Me too and Paul Simon.

Advertisement