Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Sport and Covid 19

• 16-04-2020 1:25am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 855 ✭✭✭

I see on the GAA forum there is a thread that focuses on the COVID impact on intercounty championship & associated huge crowds but as a more general question, what are people's views about the impact on lower level team sports eg underage soccer, hurling, rugby and so on, where you have less than 30 players and possibly less than 60 people attending all told between players, coaches and parents, and less at training.

Are we really facing into a scenario where these sports will not restart in 2020 at all given the need for social distancing , or is there any chance that once kids go back to school that these might restart. Or am I just deluding myself. These games and training have been a huge focus for our family over the last few years, and a big source of enjoyment. Having said that, even though we all miss them terribly obviously the risk is significant and we need to protect the vulnerable in society.

Any thoughts??

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,480 ✭✭✭pgj2015

I read some article earlier about people under 25 being allowed back to play sport, they think this will be one of the first restrictions to be lifted, groups of no more than 30.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 855 ✭✭✭Deskjockey

Thanks. Can you remember where that was published?

no. i definitely read it though. hard to know what to believe though, the papers are all spoofing these days.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 855 ✭✭✭Deskjockey

Thanks for digging that out

• Advertisement

Deskjockey wrote: »
    Thanks for digging that out

no problem. was hard enough to find, so many articles these days. hopefully we will all get back to playing/watching sport as soon as possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,383 ✭✭✭Higgins5473

I keep hearing discussion of "but it could be played behind closed doors". Is closed doors an option for any contact sport? I don't see how any governing body of any sport could give the go ahead if 'social distancing' directives are still in place by government. It would be in direct contravention to what the public are being told to do, why would it be any different for athletes in any contact sport.

I keep hearing discussion of "but it could be played behind closed doors". Is closed doors an option for any contact sport? I don't see how any governing body of any sport could give the go ahead if 'social distancing' directives are still in place by government. It would be in direct contravention to what the public are being told to do, why would it be any different for athletes in any contact sport.

I think I heard that the bundesliga players will all have to be tested before matches. not sure how it will work for amateur teams.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,383 ✭✭✭Higgins5473

pgj2015 wrote: »
    I think I heard that the bundesliga players will all have to be tested before matches. not sure how it will work for amateur teams.

you're right...

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/04/08/sports/germany-soccer-coronavirus.html

seems like pie in the sky stuff.

what would they do, test them just before they run out on the pitch with an instant result? because that is the only way it would work. then what happens, one of them test positive so match is called off and the rest of them have to self quarantine for 14 days.

Services will reopen but I'd imagine social distancing will remain, it will have to until a vaccine is found which we all know will not be for a very long time. This disease is not just going to go away when authorities say you can go out again. Contact sports; I can not understand how this would be possible. Telling the general public to do something and then on the other hand letting contact sports go ahead, which in reality has a high degree of sharing bodily fluids and a far higher chance of infection than going to get milk and bread in your local shop.

Euro's and Olympics cancelled, two of the biggest global sporting events and the GAA announce yesterday "Championships unlikely to begin before July, says GAA". I find that to be fairly embarassing.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,172 ✭✭✭wadacrack

A thread for news on when Sports may resume at professional, amateur and for leisure.

• Advertisement

wadacrack wrote: »

Never will so many people have been interested in Hoffenheim vs Union Berlin

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 77,653 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Thread merged

Finally a clearing in South Korean football. This Sunday, the South Korean government eased social distancing measures and allowed outdoor sporting events to be held with certain restrictions. The go-ahead obtained, the K League unveiled its carefully thought-out recovery program throughout the crisis.
    Two dates have been set to mark the start of the season, namely May 9 for the first option and May 16 for the second option. No final schedule has yet been communicated, but two things are certain: the season will start without supporters and it will only consist of 27 games (22 regular season and 5 Final A and Final B equivalent to the title and relegation groups). In addition, in order to prepare for the coming season, the clubs have been authorized to play matches with each other, but also by respecting a few rules: absence of supporters, only three journalists per match, absence of press conference and interviews or lack of contact between players, coaches and the referee.

: Poland will re-start football matches on May 29 and complete the season by July 19 after the country's Prime Minister approved games behind-closed-doors
    One of few where the politicians actually approves ��

Advertisement