Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Congratulations Leo Varadkar

Options
  • 21-04-2020 10:21am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 136 ✭✭

Today is Leo's 1039th day in the office of Taoiseach, which means he has overtaken both Albert Reynolds (1038 days) and Brian Cowen (1036 days).

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,401 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Wonder does Michael Martin really think Ireland wants him to step in? I'm sure he'd like to but I can't see any real desire to see him as Taoiseach.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 136 ✭✭Long_Wave

lawred2 wrote: »
    Wonder does Michael Martin really think Ireland wants him to step in? I'm sure he'd like to but I can't see any real desire to see him as Taoiseach.

If they go ahead with their rotating taoiseach idea, Martin will end up being the shortest serving taoiseach of all time, as most people expect him to retire to the backbenchs after doing his 2 and a bit years as taoiseach.

Long_Wave wrote: »
    If they go ahead with their rotating taoiseach idea, Martin will end up being the shortest serving taoiseach of all time, as most people expect him to retire to the backbenchs after doing his 2 and a bit years as taoiseach.

What's the point then? Just a vanity exercise...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,743 ✭✭✭micks_address

if i was Martin.. i think i'd be leaving Leo in there and come in when things might have improved in 2 years.. i suppose the counterpoint is that you come in now and let Leo be in charge for the second half leading into a election... not sure whats best for either..

• Registered Users Posts: 14,383 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

Wasn't it ever thus? The whole 'only FF leader never to be taoiseach' malarkey...

• Advertisement

swinging back around - surprised Cowen lasted longer than 2 and a half years. He didn't deserve to.

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,120 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

Politicians are entitled to a pension after two years' service - which is based on half their final salary plus a lump sum.

https://www.thesun.ie/money/2642266/irish-tds-and-ministers-will-be-able-to-claim-state-pension-at-65-after-qualifying-age-is-raised-to-68/

Am I being a bit too cynical? (Sorry for the rag link - googled Taoiseach vs Minister pension and this came up...)

• Registered Users Posts: 27,971 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

MarkR wrote: »
    https://www.thesun.ie/money/2642266/irish-tds-and-ministers-will-be-able-to-claim-state-pension-at-65-after-qualifying-age-is-raised-to-68/

Am I being a bit too cynical? (Sorry for the rag link - googled Taoiseach vs Minister pension and this came up...)

"Politicians are entitled to a pension after two years' service - which is based on half their final salary plus a lump sum"

That quotation simply isn't true.

They don't get a pension of half their final salary after just two years.

Like all public servants, they do get a pension after two years service, but it is very much smaller than that. While there are slightly different accrual rules for politicians, a public servant who has two years service is entitled to 2/80s i.e. 2.5% of their final salary as a pension. That is a long way short of half the final salary.

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,120 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

Big difference all right. That's what I get for quoting red tops!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,013 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

Today is Leo's 1039th day in the office of Taoiseach, which means he has overtaken both Albert Reynolds (1038 days) and Brian Cowen (1036 days).

The global pandemic was a god send alright.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,160 ✭✭✭Huntergonzo

Leo has done well so far to be fair to him but people will expect some relief in 2 weeks time otherwise opinions will sway again very quickly.

• Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭TragicJohnson

Leo has done well so far to be fair to him but people will expect some relief in 2 weeks time otherwise opinions will sway again very quickly.

It's not about what people expect, it's about what's the right thing to do.

Absolutely, but 'doing the right thing' may still make him unpopular, that's why politicians often go with the populist option over the practical option.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,013 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

Follow the advice of medical/virus professionals or don't. It's that simple.
    Photo ops aside he seems to be behaving responsibly. He should be commended for not ignoring the medical professionals. What a guy.

• Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭Nitrogan

Bowie wrote: »
    Follow the advice of medical/virus professionals or don't. It's that simple.
    Photo ops aside he seems to be behaving responsibly. He should be commended for not ignoring the medical professionals. What a guy.

Doing his job.

And volunteering.

Only Trump supporters or Brexiters wouldn't see the value in that.

We're lucky.

Nitrogan wrote: »
    Doing his job.

And volunteering.

Only Trump supporters or Brexiters wouldn't see the value in that.

We're lucky.

Wouldn't pay much heed to Bowie, I think he fancies Mary Lou ;-)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,659 ✭✭✭Floppybits

if i was Martin.. i think i'd be leaving Leo in there and come in when things might have improved in 2 years.. i suppose the counterpoint is that you come in now and let Leo be in charge for the second half leading into a election... not sure whats best for either..

Leo won't be in charge after Meehole, I fully expect him once the government is formed to do 2 years and then call it quits. Either way both will be gone by the mid term of the next government.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,778 ✭✭✭The J Stands for Jay

Big boost to his pension and benefits.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,005 ✭✭✭✭AlekSmart

True,and as is often misunderstood in all of this,members of a 'caretaker' government cannot resign.
    ARTICLE 28 BUNREACHT NA hÉIREANN 28 11 1°

If the Taoiseach at any time resigns from office the other members of the Government shall be deemed also to have resigned from office, but the Taoiseach and the other members of the Government shall continue to carry on their duties until their successors shall have been appointed.

2° The members of the Government in office at the date of a dissolution of Dáil Éireann shall continue to hold office until their successors shall have been appointed.

Our little Republic is,by no means,a paragon of Covid virtue,but when one looks at the state of some of our so-called superpowers,then yes I believe the current Government have performed above the bar.

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

Charles Mackay (1812-1889)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭Risteard81

Today is Leo's 1039th day in the office of Taoiseach
    Would that be the office he was evicted from several months ago by voters?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 439 ✭✭paddythere

Congrats Leo. Over 1000 days as Taoiseach despite leading your party to 3rd place in the only general election you faced as leader. Some democracy we have going on here eh

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,524 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

Risteard81 wrote: »

Nope, he's still Taoiseach.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 136 ✭✭Long_Wave

Yes and the Irish public choose to leave him there because they are scared of a virus that's effected less than 1% of the population.

Amirani wrote: »
    Nope, he's still Taoiseach.
    An unelected one leading an unelected junta.

An unelected one leading an unelected junta.

Nope, he was elected by the Dail.

Amirani wrote: »
    Nope, he was elected by the Dail.
    The assembly at Leinster House has not elected him any time recently.

In fact Regina Doherty was expelled from Leinster House and yet still pretends to be a "Minister".

• Registered Users Posts: 9,420 ✭✭✭splinter65

In fact Regina Doherty was expelled from Leinster House and yet still pretends to be a "Minister".

He was elected by the Dail. “anytime recently” is irrelevant. If you can point to another elected public rep who WAS elected as Taoiseach who Varadkar is preventing from taking up the position then let us know who it is.
    If you can’t then you’re just another person who doesn’t grasp/can’t accept the basics of democratically elected government thus rendering your opinion irrelevant, as entitled to hold it as you are.

Yeah, the Dail should vote for a new Taoiseach every day so they stay recent enough.

splinter65 wrote: »
    He was elected by the Dail. “anytime recently” is irrelevant. If you can point to another elected public rep who WAS elected as Taoiseach who Varadkar is preventing from taking up the position then let us know who it is.
    If you can’t then you’re just another person who doesn’t grasp/can’t accept the basics of democratically elected government thus rendering your opinion irrelevant, as entitled to hold it as you are.
    Don't pretend that he is elected.

He is a failed doctor, a failed politician and a failed person.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,420 ✭✭✭splinter65

Don't pretend that he is elected.

He is a failed doctor, a failed politician and a failed person.

But he was elected Risteard. By his constituents only a few weeks ago.
    Before that he was elected by the Dail as Taoiseach.
    In this country as in many countries when an election is called the government is dissolved until another government has been formed by newly elected/re elected representatives.
    Until then the outgoing government stays in place until the new government in place in order to deal with the day to day running of the country. That would seem sensible. If you have another suggestion I’d love to hear it.
    I hope this explains things to you.
    He’s a qualified doctor, he hasn’t been struck off so I have no idea what your talking about.
    I don’t know what you mean by “failed person” that’s just waffle.

Advertisement