Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Building shed against earth bank

• 21-04-2020 10:24am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,844 ✭✭✭

Hi folks looking for your recommendations

Have a cubby ally between barna shed and earth bank. It’s a nice shelter spot. Mainly for bikes, scooters and garden tool storage

Any recommendations on approach. Had been thinking of just a leanto roof but now thinking better to have walls and keep weather and damp out.

Will add photo

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,844 ✭✭✭49801

Photo attached of the big dig

COVID project

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,141 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Surely a lean to roof would just poor water on to your earth bank eroding it?

Hard to advise without pictures.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,276 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

You are still going to need a gutter and some sort of drain to take away the water, otherwise you will end up with a mess.
    Though, to be honest, I think you are going to end up with a sticky mess anyway!
    Are you planning flooring?

Whats going to stop water streaming down the bank into the new area?

Is it just a mound of earth or is that the natural ground level?
    Its looks like the natural ground level, so now you need to worry about that bank collapsing onto someone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,141 ✭✭✭✭listermint

hmm for me its a reward versus effort scenario.

Theres not alot of space there tbh for the effort required to get it right.

Id just use it to store barrows or outsidey things

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭jack of all

Looks like an ideal sump for a lot of unwanted surface water run-off the next time we get a period of prolonged heavy rain. Maybe put some crushed stone in as a base and use as listermint suggests.

• Advertisement

Ah ye lot are an awful lot of nah sayers :-)

Had thought concrete base... but thinking same as barna shed would be just as handy with boards on top of concrete blocks.

Its natural ground level dry enough. Not a mound and soil is shale stoney stuff. Not worried about collapse but did cross my mind alright. Water does not come off there now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,674 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

Naysayers!, another one for the ignore list

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,276 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

49801 wrote: »
    Ah ye lot are an awful lot of nah sayers :-)

Had thought concrete base... but thinking same as barna shed would be just as handy with boards on top of concrete blocks.

Its natural ground level dry enough. Not a mound and soil is shale stoney stuff. Not worried about collapse but did cross my mind alright. Water does not come off there now.

How long has the ground been open like that?
    Water follows the path of least resistance, I can't see why that won't be down towards your shed, unless you are sloping the ground away, but even then it's going to soak out imo.

Frankly it looks dangerous and I wouldn't have kids near the top or the bottom.

GreeBo wrote: »
    How long has the ground been open like that?
    Water follows the path of least resistance, I can't see why that won't be down towards your shed, unless you are sloping the ground away, but even then it's going to soak out imo.

Frankly it looks dangerous and I wouldn't have kids near the top or the bottom.

Ground like that since 2003. Engineer never mentioned it either when surveys done.

Advertisement