Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Dog pooing in public space.

• 21-04-2020 10:51am
    Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭

Edit - sorry must have accidentally deleted the thread name before I hit submit. Can anyone fix it please?

Ran into a situation today and unsure if I am in the wrong or not.

I usually walk my dog further away, but for the last few weeks I've just been sticking to walking around my estate. It's very big with loads of different areas so can still get a good walk in. I keep the dog on his lead at all times.

I was walking around one part early this morning when my dog decided to poo on some grass beside the path. It was no where near anyone's garden or anything. I took out a poo bag and picked it up. A few minutes later a man came out of his house and started calling "HEY HEY" and once he had my attention he began to question me about where I was from (lived in this estate for over 20 years, but fair enough it's not like I'd be walking around all parts of the estate on a regular basis) and that I should not let my dog poo here. I explained that I had cleaned up and held the bag up for proof. He continued to shout across saying that doesn't matter and that the dog shouldn't poo here. I didn't really respond as I had no idea what to say and just kept walking.

I always let him out in my own back garden in the mornings where he'll usually do his business, but often still needs to go a little on walks. I can't exactly tell him to hold it until we're home.

I never really walked the dog around where houses are before, so is it frowned upon? I totally understand if people are not cleaning up, but I did.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,291 ✭✭✭em_cat

Wouldn’t let it bother you. You picked up after and that person obvs is having a bad day so nought else you need to do, if it happens again just nod, wave whatever and walk on. Enjoy your walk with your dog :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,053 ✭✭✭✭tk123

This is similar to the time some auld was giving out that the dogs were trespassing on private property.. there’s a wall maybe 2 feet high and grass and the dogs would often jump the wall to sniff as we pass. I told her I didn’t care and she was outraged... when I told a passerby that the dogs “were trespassing” he nearly collapsed laughing :D

They go when they need to go as long as you pick up that’s all that matters. Next time ask the man if coming to
    give out to you is an essential journey and walk away laughing lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,007 ✭✭✭s7ryf3925pivug

Depends on the area and the neighbours. Last time I lived in an estate the kids laughed at me - "He's picking up the poo!"

He should **** off though tbh. Very unreasonable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,245 ✭✭✭Mumha

Seeing as it's probably a public road, even in a private estate, and you picked up the poo, he's just being an asshole....as it were... Carry on, and walk your dog.

That said, I've noticed a big increase in un-picked up dog poo since the lockdown, on the streets.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,053 ✭✭✭✭tk123

Mumha wrote: »
    That said, I've noticed a big increase in un-picked up dog poo since the lockdown, on the streets.

Yes definitely - my theory is that it's partly due to kids walking dogs as I've seen it in the park - they're off miles away not able to hear/strategically behind a tree when the dog is pooing... so i assume they're not picking up on the street either.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,172 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

tk123 wrote: »
    Yes definitely - my theory is that it's partly due to kids walking dogs as I've seen it in the park - they're off miles away not able to hear/strategically behind a tree when the dog is pooing... so i assume they're not picking up on the street either.

I think there's two things going on.

1. People who would normally not walk their dogs are now doing so. I imagine people who don't normally walk their dogs are the kind of people who don't pick up dog pooh.

2. There's less people about. Many people, if there's no one to see the act, wouldn't be bothered picking up but would do so if there are others watching.

Advertisement