Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Granny Flat for Dependent Adult Child

Options
  • 21-04-2020 11:18am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 686 ✭✭✭

Hello

I am now caring for an adult dependent child.

There is little space in the house and I know there is an adaption grant but don't know if it's suitable for what we need.

https://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/housing/housing_grants_and_schemes/housing_adaptation_grant_for_people_with_disability.html

Essentially the granny flat would be an extension to have a bedroom and bathroom at ground level.

We have an old garage to the rear of the house and I was wondering could this be converted, this would allow us to put in proper washroom and also have no ramp access and also provide direct access into the garden.

I am wondering how much a granny flat would roughly cost?

Thank you

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,013 ✭✭✭dazed+confused

This is impossible to guess at without more information
    or seeing it an the cost could be anywhere from €20k-€120k depending on the standard of finish and who is doing it, but from what you're describing €80k before grants would be a guesstimate.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,656 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

A bedroom, separate shower room and small kitchenette / living space could be about 600 sq ft.

Depending on many factors including where you are and ease of access, this could cost in the region of 75,000 with very basic finishes.

The adaptation grant is max 30k AFAIK, and you would need planning permission and an assessment by an OT as to the specific requirements of your DA.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 686 ✭✭✭0xzmro3n4y7lb5

Thank you both very much.

Have no knowledge myself so only thinking in long run how to make life easier.

A lot to think about.

Thanks again.

I wonder would the -snip- meet the building regs for the Grant Adaption scheme? -snip- can also build it as an extension but I'm sure that would cause a big leap in the base price for the largest -snip- 25 from €33,000.

I'm not able for the sales pitch so try to avoid it until I know information.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,324 ✭✭✭JustAThought

Sounds a bit cetic tigerey pricey - a few of my neighbours have had extensive ground level extensions including breaking through exterior walls and extending roofs and interior remodelling of walls, lighting, etc done and new bathrooms put in and it has come to less than 45k. I was getting quotes for an attic conversion staircase (only) and they ranged from 6k to 30k for the same style and spec - builders putting in ‘it wouldnt be worth my while to do it for less’ quotes. My down the road neighbour built a small ( 50 ft long ‘small’) one storey dwelling with bathroom and living room/ kitchenette and bedroom at the end of his garden for his adult disabled child and with his kitchen extension and other newly added bathroom that all came to less than 50k. You really need to shop around and get a lot of different people in to quote. TBh having dealt with fair deal I’d also be wondering the limits of converting or building for someone to live in - it might be worth checking if it could limit your access to nursing home care for yourself should you need it as it might be seen that their exposure to risk to get their payment is tied up with another much younger adults lifespan. You might be better getting a council list listing for them as ‘homeless’ and leveraging the states resources to provide them with a cost efficient tenancy (ie e20 a week for life with everything paid for) even if that takes 6 or 8 years to materialise. You could then negotiate with the HSE for independent living care hours for them ( we got the max of 5 a day spread across different needs per day - getting up and personal needs, breakfast aNd dressing, preparing and eating lunch, dinner and washing up and bedtime needs. Might be worth a fight over - particularly with yiur own ling term needs and thresholds physically to cope in mind - if you don’t mind me saying.

Personally I am always utterly disgusted at the governments ( all of them) refusal to give those most in need the basic support they and their children need while festooning who can work but will not work with houses for life beside their mammies paid for by the hardworking poor. It totally disgusts me that you should be in this position.

Alone and Age Action used give a hand with grants and also with some building support and volunteers. Might be worth a call. :(

You migh also get an exceptional needs grant if you apply on your adult childs behalf through the local social welfare office - eg a boiler to heat their dwelling , a fridge , a cooker, an adapted bed etc - each application made seperately as they will only give so much per each item to a maximum per application. People moving into brand new council houses all get a ‘furnishing grant’ of 2k no questions asked - they yhen add to this unit by init until their place is complete - courtesy of the taxpayer.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,468 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

I wonder would the Shomera's meet the building regs for the Grant Adaption scheme? Shomera can also build it as an extension but I'm sure that would cause a big leap in the base price for the largest Shomera 25 from €33,000.

I'm not able for the sales pitch so try to avoid it until I know information.

No they don’t.

*i base that opinion on the 99% of people that associate the cabin/pre fab construction type. If you mean something else, please post a link to what you mean.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 10,140 Mod ✭✭✭✭BryanF

As per forum charter posts from/about specific companies by PM thanks

Sounds a bit cetic tigerey pricey - a few of my neighbours have had extensive ground level extensions including breaking through exterior walls and extending roofs and interior remodelling of walls, lighting, etc done and new bathrooms put in and it has come to less than 45k. I was getting quotes for an attic conversion staircase (only) and they ranged from 6k to 30k for the same style and spec - builders putting in ‘it wouldnt be worth my while to do it for less’ quotes. My down the road neighbour built a small ( 50 ft long ‘small’) one storey dwelling with bathroom and living room/ kitchenette and bedroom at the end of his garden for his adult disabled child and with his kitchen extension and other newly added bathroom that all came to less than 50k. You really need to shop around and get a lot of different people in to quote. TBh having dealt with fair deal I’d also be wondering the limits of converting or building for someone to live in - it might be worth checking if it could limit your access to nursing home care for yourself should you need it as it might be seen that their exposure to risk to get their payment is tied up with another much younger adults lifespan. You might be better getting a council list listing for them as ‘homeless’ and leveraging the states resources to provide them with a cost efficient tenancy (ie e20 a week for life with everything paid for) even if that takes 6 or 8 years to materialise. You could then negotiate with the HSE for independent living care hours for them ( we got the max of 5 a day spread across different needs per day - getting up and personal needs, breakfast aNd dressing, preparing and eating lunch, dinner and washing up and bedtime needs. Might be worth a fight over - particularly with yiur own ling term needs and thresholds physically to cope in mind - if you don’t mind me saying.

Personally I am always utterly disgusted at the governments ( all of them) refusal to give those most in need the basic support they and their children need while festooning who can work but will not work with houses for life beside their mammies paid for by the hardworking poor. It totally disgusts me that you should be in this position.

Alone and Age Action used give a hand with grants and also with some building support and volunteers. Might be worth a call. :(

You migh also get an exceptional needs grant if you apply on your adult childs behalf through the local social welfare office - eg a boiler to heat their dwelling , a fridge , a cooker, an adapted bed etc - each application made seperately as they will only give so much per each item to a maximum per application. People moving into brand new council houses all get a ‘furnishing grant’ of 2k no questions asked - they yhen add to this unit by init until their place is complete - courtesy of the taxpayer.

Thank you so much for such a helpful reply. I know nothing about quotes but I did have palpitations at the quotes coming out.

Gumbo wrote: »
    No they don’t.

*i base that opinion on the 99% of people that associate the cabin/pre fab construction type. If you mean something else, please post a link to what you mean.

If you mean a stand-alone unit, you need certification prior to commencement of works. The architect needs to sign a cert when lodging to the council for the grant. Part of that cert is to confirm that it’s planning exempt or planning is granted and the works will comply with the planning and building regs.

If you get planning for a shed then it will be conditioned for non habitable and you won’t get your grant.

I’ve done many of these over the last few years.

Apologies I had the name of the company I didn’t realise I wasn’t allowed.

Advertisement