Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tractor for small holding

Options
  • 21-04-2020 11:35am
    Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭

I am looking for a tractor to do topping and spreading fertilizer on a small holding. Land is in west if Ireland so I assume I will need a 4wd. Plan on spending 7-10k. Was looking at hi 895 but not sure if I would be buying trouble. Any advise would be appreciated. Not to worried about comfort. Just mime thing that’s realizable and easy to maintain. What should I look out for when looking. Not that experienced with tractors but need a starting point.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,429 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

hotrodder wrote: »
    I am looking for a tractor to do topping and spreading fertilizer on a small holding. Land is in west if Ireland so I assume I will need a 4wd. Plan on spending 7-10k. Was looking at hi 895 but not sure if I would be buying trouble. Any advise would be appreciated. Not to worried about comfort. Just mime thing that’s realizable and easy to maintain. What should I look out for when looking. Not that experienced with tractors but need a starting point.

You won't need a 4wd

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭hotrodder

You won't need a 4wd

Would 4wd not be better if ground is soft in places

• Registered Users Posts: 19,429 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

It would of course.
    But if the ground is wet an alternative is to wait for it to dry up a bit before going out topping or spraying. You're not going to be topping in the middle of winter

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,292 ✭✭✭TheBoyConor

If the ground is soft then you shouldn't be in there anyway, 4WD or not.

In general when buying a tractor, you are buying trouble and there is no avoiding that. It is just a case of choosing wisely to buy the least possible amount of trouble.

Stick with something as basic as possible. Perhaps an ex grounds care tractor would suit? It would be nice and light and mechanically simple and should top and spread with ease.

What about a quad, would that do the job for you?

Or could you just get a local lad to do it for you in exchange for a few quid or pints?

The less machines and things you have the less hassle and expense you draw upon yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 542 ✭✭✭gomamochi1

If the ground is soft then you shouldn't be in there anyway, 4WD or not.

In general when buying a tractor, you are buying trouble and there is no avoiding that. It is just a case of choosing wisely to buy the least possible amount of trouble.

Stick with something as basic as possible. Perhaps an ex grounds care tractor would suit? It would be nice and light and mechanically simple and should top and spread with ease.

What about a quad, would that do the job for you?

Or could you just get a local lad to do it for you in exchange for a few quid or pints?

The less machines and things you have the less hassle and expense you draw upon yourself.

http://www.adverts.ie/19699873
    Your only job.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,702 ✭✭✭muddle84

Its hard to beat a MF 35 or a 135 or 240 if you want something a bit newer. If the ground is soft put double wheels on it and it will get the job done.

A quad would do just as much though depending on how many acres you're looking after.

4wd compact tractor your only man

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,292 ✭✭✭TheBoyConor

I'd advise him to stay away from machines that are too elderly like those MFs. everything will be going in them and it'll have your heart broke.

I'd say stick with a quad. Simple, lightweight and will get the job done.

Or if you must have a tractor I would suggest a small light tractor such as something that is ex golf club or something like that. Will only have done light work.
    Small farm tractors will have been neglected and abused all their lives so I'd be triple wide about them.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,891 ✭✭✭enricoh

Don't know about staying away from old masseys- I've a 35x that's probably 60year old and I wish any of the newer stuff was as well built and reliable!
    No need to plug in the laptops and parts dirt cheap.

I'd advise him to stay away from machines that are too elderly like those MFs. everything will be going in them and it'll have your heart broke.

Or if you must have a tractor I would suggest a small light tractor such as something that is ex golf club or something like that. Will only have done light work.
    Small farm tractors will have been neglected and abused all their lives so I'd be triple wide about them.

I have a 35 myself thats been in the family for about 30 years. Serviced every year and all i've had to put on it was a front wheel, an exhaust and rebuild the hydraulic pump about 8 years ago! I don't think they come more reliable than the old masseys. Thats the first time i have ever heard anybody say they would have your heart broke!!!!

Have you had bad experience with an old MF?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,197 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

There's a reason theres so many left. Tough as old boots and have lasted decades. Simple with next to no unecessary electrics to go wrong. Easier to find parts for those than a weird make or the shiny new quad (down the road when the manufacturers have conveniently stopped doing spares for them with the newer model).
    Quads are disposable, get some years out of them, once knackered throw it away.

compact tractor with 4 wd is better for this size site especially if you have difficulty getting out of boggy/ hilly ground! can attach finishing mower/ wood chipper/ rotovator/ small trailer/ land leveller/ link box etc to her and can access small sheds etc with a scraper that a bigger tractor like a MF cant. Though as everyone says the MF are great all round tractors also just fond of the compact tractors myself had several over the years with loaders / etc

• Registered Users Posts: 1,419 ✭✭✭hopeso

First thing is to establish what size of tractor you need? Do you have the machinery already, or if not, what acreage is involved? If a 6' semi offset topper and a 10 bag fert spreader is all you'll be using, then a 60 hp tractor will be plenty. Will you be feeding livestock with bales of silage? If so, you'll need a bigger tractor to cope with the bales. 4wd will always be an advantage in the west of Ireland, but probably not essential on a smallholding, where jobs can be put off until a suitable day. 4wd will also be one more thing to service and maintain, as well as a potential repair expense at some stage. Another thing worth thinking about is who will be servicing and repairing the tractor? Do you have a local mechanic, and if so, does he seem to favour one make of tractor? If so, that's the one to go for, as he'll be experienced. The 895 you mentioned would be more than enough on any smallholding. As for buying trouble....that's a risk you are taking with any second hand tractor. MF would be my personal choice for a tractor for the work you're doing. Your budget should get you a good 265 or 290......

• Registered Users Posts: 641 ✭✭✭lanod2407

hopeso wrote: »
    First thing is to establish what size of tractor you need? Do you have the machinery already, or if not, what acreage is involved? If a 6' semi offset topper and a 10 bag fert spreader is all you'll be using, then a 60 hp tractor will be plenty. Will you be feeding livestock with bales of silage? If so, you'll need a bigger tractor to cope with the bales. 4wd will always be an advantage in the west of Ireland, but probably not essential on a smallholding, where jobs can be put off until a suitable day. 4wd will also be one more thing to service and maintain, as well as a potential repair expense at some stage. Another thing worth thinking about is who will be servicing and repairing the tractor? Do you have a local mechanic, and if so, does he seem to favour one make of tractor? If so, that's the one to go for, as he'll be experienced. The 895 you mentioned would be more than enough on any smallholding. As for buying trouble....that's a risk you are taking with any second hand tractor. MF would be my personal choice for a tractor for the work you're doing. Your budget should get you a good 265 or 290......

Agree with all of the above. My place is soft - I'd go 4WD all the way. If you have soft land for a good part of the year you'll curse a 2WD or quad that can't travel it when you need to.

Also consider the spend versus how often you'll need to use it. Hiring in may be a better option in terms of cash spend over time.
    Now, I was told that by my wife and still bought a tractor ...... so it may not be what you want to hear - it certainly wasn't what I wanted to hear!! 🙉😂

• Registered Users Posts: 4,320 ✭✭✭arctictree

Im thinking of buying a few implements (topper, spreader etc) and then just hiring a tractor for a couple of weeks a year when I need it. Anyone do this? Hard to justify forking out 10 or 20k on a tractor when I could hire for 500 a year?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,980 ✭✭✭Genghis Cant

arctictree wrote: »
    Im thinking of buying a few implements (topper, spreader etc) and then just hiring a tractor for a couple of weeks a year when I need it. Anyone do this? Hard to justify forking out 10 or 20k on a tractor when I could hire for 500 a year?

Would it not make more sense to hire in a lad to top as required, and spread fert etc as required?

No outlay on implements then.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,320 ✭✭✭arctictree

Would it not make more sense to hire in a lad to top as required, and spread fert etc as required?

No outlay on implements then.

I've done that for a while but they never come when you want them and every year they top further and further from the ditch.

arctictree wrote: »
    I've done that for a while but they never come when you want them and every year they top further and further from the ditch.

Ive bought my own spreader and topper and in the process of buying a sprayer for that very reason. When moving the sheep from paddock to paddock you want to top or spray or whatever you want to do straight away after but the local lads won't show up for four weeks after that.

If you're no good with spanners and want a tractor that works everytime you need it, maybe hiring a tractor is a good option for you. I've a 35 and recently bought a DB 1490 but i'm only too happy to be tinkering with them so it suits me!

Owning implements might be a good idea as they are reasonably reliable, but eventually they will let you down if they're laid up for most the winter and not maintained right.

Advertisement