Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

No more cash refunds, Goverment wants to forse a voucher on you.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,209 ✭✭✭✭Purple Mountain

paddy19 wrote: »
    No requirement on you to reject voucher.
    Ryanair have to get your written consent that you accept the voucher under EU 261.

Just ignore it.

Just request a cash refund.

If you don't get the refund within 10 days you can complain to the regulator
    or lodge a claim with the small claims court, or try a chargeback with your bank.
    Thanks but I already requested it end of Feb and was told I was in queue, so how do I communicate with them now again?!

To thine own self be true

• Registered Users Posts: 1,144 ✭✭✭paddy19

Thanks but I already requested it end of Feb and was told I was in queue, so how do I communicate with them now again?!

No point in talking to Ryanair. No refunds until Covid has abated!

1. Credit Card Chargeback, great if you get your bank like N26 to give you an immediate refund. AIB have said a blanket no.
    2. Regulator. Slow but sure if the law doesn't change.
    3. Small claims court €25 non refundable, fastest <15 days for airline response.

• Registered Users Posts: 327 ✭✭Daisy03

Anyone have any luck with a chargeback with Mastercard?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,073 ✭✭✭✭JRant

If banks aren't playing by the rules then people need to start lodging complaints with the financial regulator.

For me it's clear that the government, banks and airlines have done a backroom deal on this. This is completely illegal and everyone receiving pushback from their bank needs to stand up for their consumer rights which asleep as black and white as it gets.

"Well, yeah, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

If the airlines want people to use vouchers then they should be allowable against future flights regardless of the price.

E.g. if I bought a fight that only cost 50 then I should be allowed in the future to use that voucher for the same destination even if the ticket price for the flight I want is priced at 200.

That way the voucher is nominally more valuable than getting a refund and is win/win for both airline and consumer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,415 ✭✭✭.G.

Daisy03 wrote: »
    Anyone have any luck with a chargeback with Mastercard?

I did. Money back today.
    .G. wrote: »
    Mastercard debit card issued by N26. Had to wait 30 days from date of refund request to initate the claim. Once I sent everything to back up my claim N26 took a day to send it to Mastercard and they took 2 days to review it and refund me. Ryanair now have 45 days in which they can dispute it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 312 ✭✭leinster93

.G. wrote: »
    I did. Money back today.

Will a charge back work similar for a Debit Card? or does anyone know. I'm not in this situation yet but expect to be come June.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭killbillvol2

If the airlines want people to use vouchers then they should be allowable against future flights regardless of the price.

E.g. if I bought a fight that only cost 50 then I should be allowed in the future to use that voucher for the same destination even if the ticket price for the flight I want is priced at 200.

That way the voucher is nominally more valuable than getting a refund and is win/win for both airline and consumer.

That doesn't make any sense. So a flight to Spain in February could be exchanged for a flight in July?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭masculinist

can one not make a credit card chargeback for services not received ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 832 ✭✭✭funkyouup

take a read back over the last few pages regarding charge backs

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,243 ✭✭✭Esse85

Irish permanent wouldn't do it for me in relation to a hotel that cancelled on me via booking.com

It's daylight robbery.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,426 ✭✭✭maestroamado

Esse85 wrote: »
    Irish permanent wouldn't do it for me in relation to a hotel that cancelled on me via booking.com

It's daylight robbery.

If you go into booking.com site you can cancel yourself.
    Then the money just be refunded automatic.
    I do not think this PTSB role, they just facilitate money out/return.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,541 ✭✭✭JTMan

Yeah, some AIB customer should lodge a complaint, to the Central Bank of Ireland, about the fact that AIB are not following the law about chargebacks. AIB are not acting on any legal basis with their travel chargeback policy.

That doesn't make any sense. So a flight to Spain in February could be exchanged for a flight in July?

You an if you pay? seriously i assume you talking July 2021 and flights not be up for a while..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,714 ✭✭✭firemansam4

paddy19 wrote:
    If you move fast to the SCC you will get your money for you.

I'm considering this option now, thanks for your suggestion.

I do wonder if new legislation might become a problem with any claims? I also wonder what the chances are Ryanair might contest it?

I'm standing to lose over 1000 euro at the moment so the 25 euro charge is not that huge for me considering that.
    A 1 year voucher for me is pretty useless so I may as well just accept I'm loosing the money otherwise.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,567 ✭✭✭Padraig Mor

easyJet seem to be doing this. Saw an email someone received on Facebook saying their cancelled flight could be exchanged for the same route at any time without any increase in fare.

easyJet seem to be doing this. Saw an email someone received on Facebook saying their cancelled flight could be exchanged for the same route at any time without any increase in fare.

Correct i got one the other day...

I'm considering this option now, thanks for your suggestion.

I do wonder if new legislation might become a problem with any claims? I also wonder what the chances are Ryanair might contest it?

I'm standing to lose over 1000 euro at the moment so the 25 euro charge is not that huge for me considering that.
    A 1 year voucher for me is pretty useless so I may as well just accept I'm loosing the money otherwise.

Legislation could definitely be a problem as it would have two laws on the books that are in direct conflict with one another.
    The lawyers will take forever to resolve the issue.

You need to move fast. The airline has to respond within 15 days.
    My guess, and that's all it is, is the Michael O'Leary doesn't want to contest this. Easier to pay up the limited number of people who will go to the SCC.

He will continue to row in behind the rest of the big guys like Lufty that he used to lambaste.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,715 ✭✭✭dennyk

The refund process could be automated by a junior programmer in a few days.
    (MOL has 300 hot shot programmers in Ryanair Labs.)

While you're not wrong about them deliberately making excuses just to justify delaying refunds in the hopes that passengers give up and just take the vouchers, you'd have to be mad to think that any company would trust whatever godawful mess of code some newbie grad whipped up "in a few days" to automatically give money to people with no human validation. That thing would be handing out millions of dollars in bogus refunds to various Chinese and/or Russian credit cards in a matter of hours.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,567 ✭✭✭Padraig Mor

Correct i got one the other day...
    A far better proposition than Ryanair's 'offer' in many ways but at least with Ryanair you can change routes I guess.
    You need to move fast. The airline has to respond within 15 days.
    My guess, and that's all it is, is the Michael O'Leary doesn't want to contest this. Easier to pay up the limited number of people who will go to the SCC.

TBH Paddy I think you're being optimistic re the SCC - and I say that as someone who also has a claim in. Yes, if it were a handful of people I think they'd just let it slide but there seems to be hundreds of people doing it so I think that they'll challenge the first few anyway in order for a precedent not to be set, and I'm sure they can afford good lawyers! That's if it even gets to the SCC proper - I wouldn't be surprised if some sort of backroom deal was done screwing over the consumer - seems to be the case with the government and banks so far, so why not one more?!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,959 ✭✭✭kravmaga

dennyk wrote: »
    While you're not wrong about them deliberately making excuses just to justify delaying refunds in the hopes that passengers give up and just take the vouchers, you'd have to be mad to think that any company would trust whatever godawful mess of code some newbie grad whipped up "in a few days" to automatically give money to people with no human validation. That thing would be handing out millions of dollars in bogus refunds to various Chinese and/or Russian credit cards in a matter of hours.

What are you on about?
    What's missing here is not the difficulty of automating the process it's the motivation
    to follow the law of a 7 day refund.
    Are you saying that if the moribund regulator got off it's ass and applied €100 a day penalty per each delayed refund
    MOL would not find a way to automate the process?

What does the human intervention do?
    The only reason I can see is that Ryanair hope they can find some excuse to refuse the refund request.
    In this case they have cancelled the flight.
    There is no out!

The refund can only be applied from a valid Ryanair account.
    The customer puts in all the information.
    The refund goes to the credit card used in the original application.

A junior programmer could write the code.

I'm sure Ryanair labs would validate and monitor the process to ensure it was in control.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,372 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

kravmaga wrote: »

I doubt too many people are bothered about the 7 days, it’s the lack of information on when and the making people jump through hoops twice that’s the sickening bit

• Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭limabromac

Ryanair have said they would give me a refund and I waited for 20 days and then they sent me a voucher..

Ryanair have said they will give me a refund at some stage so I went down the chargeback route...

This for me is the biggest issue, that my bank ( having an obligation under consumer law to issue a chargeback as I have not been given the goods I paid for (1000) and the communication has only promised a refund but the seller is stalling and using excuses, ) is not siding with me the consumer and is actually taking the side of the seller who has taken my money... That's what the killer is....

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭gct

Has anybody claimed their money back through travel insurance? Could I claim My money back this way? I'm guessing the travel insurance company will make it extremely difficult for me!

gct wrote: »
    Has anybody claimed their money back through travel insurance? Could I claim My money back this way? I'm guessing the travel insurance company will make it extremely difficult for me!

As far as I can see If you have travel insurance with added travel disruption then you can go down that rout depending on the excess imposed by your insurance company...travel disruption covers you for covid-19 but it's an added extra on the policy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭masculinist

Esse85 wrote: »

It's daylight robbery.

I meant chargeback with a credit card. I thought debit cards were very different from credit cards in this respect ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭rx8

Haven't seen this on the Ryanair site before... https://eu261compensationclaims.ryanair.com/

When you fill it out it says that you will hear from them within 10 Days.

rx8 wrote: »
    Haven't seen this on the Ryanair site before... https://eu261compensationclaims.ryanair.com/

When you fill it out it says that you will hear from them within 10 Days.

That form looks like it is a compensation form. For disrupted or flights of more than 2 hours, accommodation costs etc....it's covers you if you are looking for extra compensation which is different from a refund of the original purchase price of the flights...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 521 ✭✭✭maxsmum

I gave up on the chat bot and sent an actual letter to Customer Service asking for my refund, as previously promised. Wonder if I will ever get a reply.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement