Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Work our how many slabs I need.

• 21-04-2020 12:54pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,880 ✭✭✭

Hi. I have an Area approx 9 feet x 16 feet to patio.
    I got a guy to price job.
    He reckons I need 30 square meter slabs. ( is that calculation approximately correct?)

So ..

If I get 18 x 18 inch slabs which I think is the standard .slab , how many slabs do I need ?

Thanks
    Paddy

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,674 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

9*16=144 sq feet=13.3 sq m
    18" sq slab is 2.25 sq feet
    144/2.25= 64 slabs
    so I don't see where the 30 sq m comes from

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,880 ✭✭✭2012paddy2012

9*16=144 sq feet=13.3 sq m
    18" sq slab is 2.25 sq feet
    144/2.25= 64 slabs
    so I don't see where the 30 sq m comes from

I am wrong there a bit , I walked it this morning that what I came up with ! On putting a tape on it now after your reply it’s actually 21 feet across the garden and 9 feet out from the rear of house ...

Is that nearer 30 square meters !?

How many slabs now ( 18 x18) would you think I need ? Thanks , sorry for wrong measurement

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,276 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

Thats still 20sqm rather than 30

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 830 ✭✭✭who what when

I am wrong there a bit , I walked it this morning that what I came up with ! On putting a tape on it now after your reply it’s actually 21 feet across the garden and 9 feet out from the rear of house ...

Is that nearer 30 square meters !?

How many slabs now ( 18 x18) would you think I need ? Thanks , sorry for wrong measurement

If you look at the metric side of the tape it will tell you the distance in meters. Just measure the distance both sides and multiply together to give yourself the area in sq meters. Much easier than calculating sq meters from feet and inches.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,468 ✭✭✭ALS

• Advertisement

If you look at the metric side of the tape it will tell you the distance in meters. Just measure the distance both sides and multiply together to give yourself the area in sq meters. Much easier than calculating sq meters from feet and inches.

Oh ok I will thanks , I think if they can’t get the measurement correct... not a good sign !! Thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,522 ✭✭✭hesker

If it’s a rectangular shaped patio you don’t need to worry about sq m. Just work our what each side needs and multiply the two

I get 14 x 6 slabs = 84 slabs. So 90 slabs should sort it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,745 ✭✭✭muddle84

Ask the guy that priced it why he is saying you need 10 square meters more than what you need. Unless you are using some super delicate paving slab that you need to allow for 33% breaks or fallout there can't be any good reason. If he was allowing an extra 10% for breaks that would be fair enough but it looks like he is pulling the piss.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,052 ✭✭✭Cerco

I think he must have just made a mistake or misunderstood what area you want slabbed.
    It would be very obvious after the job was done to see how many slabs were used, no way to hide that. He would be foolish to try and get away with charging for more than was laid.

Ask him to check the quote. If he is genuine he won’t mind.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 615 ✭✭✭AnRothar

I think he must have just made a mistake or misunderstood what area you want slabbed.
    I agree with this.

He reckons I need 30 square meter slabs.
    To clarify what you have been quoted for.
    30 slabs of dimension 1m * 1m?
    or a paved area of 30m sq?

Also verify the agreed dimensions
    I have an Area approx 9 feet x 16 feet
    as oppose to
    it’s actually 21 feet across the garden and 9 feet out

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,236 ✭✭✭Up Donegal

Hi. I have an Area approx 9 feet x 16 feet to patio.
    I got a guy to price job.
    He reckons I need 30 square meter slabs. ( is that calculation approximately correct?)

So ..

If I get 18 x 18 inch slabs which I think is the standard .slab , how many slabs do I need ?

Thanks
    Paddy

Did the guy actually see the patio or did he quote you without seeing it?

Up Donegal wrote: »
    Did the guy actually see the patio or did he quote you without seeing it?

They were here with the tape out etc as it transpires i got a quote one third to do same job mad it requires 80 slabs 400 x 400 x 40 To do the area roughly ...
    I’m glad I went elsewhere as this was a bad sign !!! Thanks for all help ...
    Mods you can close this now.

Advertisement