Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Booking.com Reservation - Hotel Cancelled

Options
  • 21-04-2020 4:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,243 ✭✭✭

As above title says, I made a hotel reservation in Portugal via booking.com
    They have cancelled because of COVID

They offered credit to be used within the year.

I requested a refund as I don't expect to be in Portugal within 12 months.
    Hotel is saying its a non-refundable booking.

I'd understand that if I cancelled, but the hotel did and the solution of offering credit to be used in the hotel within 12 months doesn't suit me at all.

Am I entitled to push for a refund?

What would you do if you were in this situation?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,517 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

Contact booking.com ?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,243 ✭✭✭Esse85

Have done, no reply, I guess they are inundated with similar queries.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,415 ✭✭✭.G.

Esse85 wrote: »
    Have done, no reply, I guess they are inundated with similar queries.

I got a full refund on a non refundable room in Portugal too but it took a fair bit of back and forward with booking.com and the hotel itself to get it. In the end I happened to visit the hotels parent website and saw a covid 19 notice that proved the hotel were breaching their own cancellation policy by not refunding me. It had been changed in light of the covid crisis but this particular hotel branch either wasn't aware or were playing silly buggers.

A few others have got refunds from non refundable rooms too via booking.com. Check the travel forum the threads are there.

.G. wrote: »
    I got a full refund on a non refundable room in Portugal too but it took a fair bit of back and forward with booking.com and the hotel itself to get it. In the end I happened to visit the hotels parent website and saw a covid 19 notice that proved the hotel were breaching their own cancellation policy by not refunding me. It had been changed in light of the covid crisis but this particular hotel branch either wasn't aware or were playing silly buggers.

A few others have got refunds from non refundable rooms too via booking.com. Check the travel forum the threads are there.

Thanks a million, I'll keep battling. Will update the thread when I hear more.

"Dear X
    Thank you for your e mail.
    This is a no-refundable booking and the full payment is a booking condition accepted by the client.
    We can keep the payment of in credit to be used until one year, and can be used in any hotel from our group.
    Please contact the hotel when you have new dates.
    I hope that is ok for you.
    Thank you in advance for your co-operation
    Kind regards and take care."

I've again reiterated that I want a refund as I haven't cancelled here, the hotel have, will await an update.

• Advertisement

Chancers. You could do a chargeback on your card. You'll just need proof they cancelled it not you and now won't refund you the money. Decent chance of a win that.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,817 ✭✭✭Darc19

Booking.com is just a booking engine and the contract is with the hotel. But it is the hotel that has canceled, so refund is due.

Chancers. You could do a chargeback on your card. You'll just need proof they cancelled it not you and now won't refund you the money. Decent chance of a win that.

I paid with my visa debit card.

On the booking.com app it clearly says, "cancelled by the property" I've taken a photo of this too.

If I go to my bank, over the phone of course, will they say sort it out with booking.com, who in turn will say sort it with hotel etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭redcup342

Esse85 wrote: »
    I paid with my visa debit card.

On the booking.com app it clearly says, "cancelled by the property" I've taken a photo of this too.

If I go to my bank, over the phone of course, will they say sort it out with booking.com, who in turn will say sort it with hotel etc.

https://www.ccpc.ie/consumers/shopping/disputed-card-transactions-chargeback/

• Advertisement

Spoke to my bank, explained the story, they said they can't do a chargeback and won't even open a dispute as it doesn't fall under legislation due to COVID
    Irish permanent TSB, absolute farce.

I've emailed the hotel again with the screenshot saying I want a refund.

It's especially galling when the Irish taxpayer own the banks and they refuse to protect us.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,128 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

Booking refunded me for a non refundable hotel booking in Italy. The hotel were insistent that they could only give me credit and it was my fault for booking a non refundable rate.

Got onto booking chat and it did take about a week but I got the money back.

Caranica wrote: »
    Booking refunded me for a non refundable hotel booking in Italy. The hotel were insistent that they could only give me credit and it was my fault for booking a non refundable rate.

Got onto booking chat and it did take about a week but I got the money back.

Thanks will try that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭Wuff Wuff

ive gotten 3 hotel refunds from Booking.com

all non refundable rates

they have been a hell of a lot easier to deal with than the airlines and other parasites like ticketmaster

Wuff Wuff wrote: »
    ive gotten 3 hotel refunds from Booking.com

all non refundable rates

they have been a hell of a lot easier to deal with than the airlines and other parasites like ticketmaster

Whom do you contact on there?
    Can you provide a link and be as specic as possible please.

Advertisement