Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Food and advice for an elderly greyhound with tummy trouble.

• 21-04-2020 5:24pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

I’ve recently taken on an old greyhound girl. She was lucky as in her trainer did take excellent care of her and she’s in great condition for her age (9 and a half).

I have her history and she’s always been somewhat of a fussy eater, new to me I’m afraid, any other greys I’ve had were like gannets! Anyway, she’s fussy and also at least once a month she’ll go totally off her food and have a very loud rumbly tummy for a few hours and eat grass. She’ll usually eat again the next day and will be in good form throughout.

I’ve changed her food, since I got her, to a better quality one with no additives, all natural ingredients etc. but this hasn’t reduced the amount of times she gets the rumbles. She doesn’t get treats, scraps, etc. as I’m trying to limit any upset tummies.

Has anyone else had any experience of this, what might be causing it and how to help her? I mentioned it to the vet when I was in the last time but didn’t really get any advice. Is there a particularly good food for older dogs with digestive problems?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,053 ✭✭✭✭tk123

Toulouse wrote: »
    at least once a month she’ll go totally off her food and have a very loud rumbly tummy for a few hours and eat grass. She’ll usually eat again the next day and will be in good form throughout.

Has she been tested for pancreatitis - tricky with the current situation - you'd normally take them for a blood test when they're symptomatic like that. This is exactly what Bailey would be like but would also start to get sick - once he's symptomatic he get's an anti-nausea shot as it's quite painful.

If we assume panc. you need low fat, easy to digest food - so either wet/cooked/raw - not kibble. You don't need super low fat - just not really fatty stuff. So for Bailey I favour Nature Diet Senior or Rinti gastro as the textures suit him better with his jaw - Rocco Sensible/Gastro would be an option too (you can get Rocco and Rinti from zooplus).. Bailey gets a mix of raw and wet and also these digestive enzymes with every meal. If you go home cooked some stewed chicken thighs (remove the bone when they're done), veg and rice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭Toulouse

Hey TK123,

Thanks for the suggestion and I’ll certainly discuss with the vet. I’ve had a look at the most common symptoms and she doesn’t really have any of them bar being off her food. She’s in great form, doesn’t appear to be in any pain, no bloating, vomiting, diarrhoea, lethargy. She was doing zoomies an hour ago and wanted to go for another walk.

Apart from the fact that I can hear her tummy in the next room and she’s off her food I wouldn’t really know that there was anything wrong with her.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 374 ✭✭nala2012

Have you checked her teeth as greyhounds are known to have bad teeth? Would also try soaking food in warm water or mixing with porridge or sardines to tempt her to eat.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭Toulouse

nala2012 wrote: »
    Have you checked her teeth as greyhounds are known to have bad teeth? Would also try soaking food in warm water or mixing with porridge or sardines to tempt her to eat.

Her teeth are brushed daily as they have been throughout her life, she really was taken very good care of and her teeth and gums are healthy. Her food is usually soaked, her meals are warm and always have been. She is partial to a sardine in tomato sauce (I mix one into her food if she’s being extra fussy) but even refuses them when her tummy is making noise. She hates porridge unfortunately.

The gurgling had stopped this morning so I’m pretty sure she’ll eat today, I’d just really like to get to the bottom of it as it happens way too often, something must be causing it but I can’t think what.

Edited to add: she’s just eaten her breakfast so back to normal again until the next time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,053 ✭✭✭✭tk123

Toulouse wrote: »
    Hey TK123,

Thanks for the suggestion and I’ll certainly discuss with the vet. I’ve had a look at the most common symptoms and she doesn’t really have any of them bar being off her food. She’s in great form, doesn’t appear to be in any pain, no bloating, vomiting, diarrhoea, lethargy. She was doing zoomies an hour ago and wanted to go for another walk.

Apart from the fact that I can hear her tummy in the next room and she’s off her food I wouldn’t really know that there was anything wrong with her.

Bailey's is low level - he doesn't have bloating/bad poo. Starts with the odd puke during the night and then gets worse as the days go on.

• Advertisement
Advertisement