Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Test centre closed, will insurance continue?

• 21-04-2020 7:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭

Apologies if this has been asked before, the d.o.e. test on my van is due the middle of may,my local test centre is closed due to the current situation, if I can't get my van tested by the due date will this affect my insurance ? i.e. will my policy still be valid?
    Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,868 ✭✭✭Charles Babbage

see https://www.rsa.ie/en/Utility/News/Alerts/Coronavirus-COVIDID--19--No-Disruption-to-RSA-Services/
    As the validity of the test has been extended for 3 months, this should be OK for the insurance company.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭glaswegian

Thank you Mr Charles Babbage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,324 ✭✭✭JustAThought

see https://www.rsa.ie/en/Utility/News/Alerts/Coronavirus-COVIDID--19--No-Disruption-to-RSA-Services/
    As the validity of the test has been extended for 3 months, this should be OK for the insurance company.

Dangerous territory -I was in almost exactly the same boat except my NCT had lapsed before the total ban -BUT due to the ramp test issue I could not get a full NCT even thou I had a bit of paper saying I had done the nct as fully as was available. Not perfect but I thought it would do.

When my insurance came round to renew the insurance company refused to quote me or renew my insurance as my car had no NCT. I argued and got the broker to argue but they refused to quote.Then other companies refused to quote as I had been refused, and then as I could not get qoutes and there was the covid 19 the car was off the road -now I was into a ‘new business’ and ‘gap in policy’ game with insurance companies and having superhigh quoted with loading for being new business AND for having s mysterious gap of a month in my policy history.

Long story short it does matter if they know and you can be sure that if you have a crash or claim they will say your policy in invalid.

That there ard lapses in the controlling bodys ability to deliver the cert and emergency leglislation not allowing you to travel etc is f all interest to them and neither the minster, the RSA nor the insurance company ‘regulator’ have the balls to man up and sort this issue out or tackle it in a meaningful way. Ghe make vague non connected statements that a logical person would think might be ok but that in facts leaves you right up the swanny.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,814 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

Dangerous territory -I was in almost exactly the same boat except my NCT had lapsed before the total ban -BUT due to the ramp test issue I could not get a full NCT even thou I had a bit of paper saying I had done the nct as fully as was available. Not perfect but I thought it would do.

When my insurance came round to renew the insurance company refused to quote me or renew my insurance as my car had no NCT. I argued and got the broker to argue but they refused to quote.Then other companies refused to quote as I had been refused, and then as I could not get qoutes and there was the covid 19 the car was off the road -now I was into a ‘new business’ and ‘gap in policy’ game with insurance companies and having superhigh quoted with loading for being new business AND for having s mysterious gap of a month in my policy history.

Long story short it does matter if they know and you can be sure that if you have a crash or claim they will say your policy in invalid.

That there ard lapses in the controlling bodys ability to deliver the cert and emergency leglislation not allowing you to travel etc is f all interest to them and neither the minster, the RSA nor the insurance company ‘regulator’ have the balls to man up and sort this issue out or tackle it in a meaningful way. Ghe make vague non connected statements that a logical person would think might be ok but that in facts leaves you right up the swanny.

And just on your point, I was googling quotes online last night and I think it was either AXA or Aviva who asked the online question, ' Has my car got a current NCT cert? ' When I answered 'No as I haven't got the lift test, I couldn't get a quote and was requested to phone them.

I've two months left on my present insurance but Im assuming I could run into difficulties at time of renewal if these centres aren't sorted.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭glaswegian

I renewed my policy mid march so I won't be looking for a quote, but I'm not too sure if I'd still be covered if I had a crash.

• Advertisement
Advertisement