Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rocks for rockery?

Options
  • 21-04-2020 8:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,812 ✭✭✭

Where do people get rocks for rockeries?
    Direct from a quarry?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,176 ✭✭✭✭Purple Mountain

A lot of time it's rubble from a demolished old building.
    In my mum's home place, there was an old house on the land and they used some of the stone from that for the rockery.

To thine own self be true

• Registered Users Posts: 1,240 ✭✭✭rje66

Addle wrote: »
    Where do people get rocks for rockeries?
    Direct from a quarry?

Roadstone quarry swords.
    Where are you based??.
    Years ago I was able to drive into quarries and hand pick rocks. But now it's not permitted due to insurance. There were some industrial accidents I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,429 ✭✭✭✭looksee

rje66 wrote: »
    Roadstone quarry swords.
    Where are you based??.
    Years ago I was able to drive into quarries and hand pick rocks. But now it's not permitted due to insurance. There were some industrial accidents I think.

I recall in the mid 1970s going to a limestone quarry in Kilkenny and hand picking large, beautiful pink limestone which became a big rockery right across our steeply sloping garden.

Currently there are some very big, but not as pretty! rocks that appear to have been dug out of the site when the house that I recently bought was built. I haven't decided yet what to do with them, but moving them is going to be - interesting.

OP I think your only option is to trawl around quarries, ring them and see what they can offer. Possibly smaller quarries might be more flexible about supplying rocks. Some garden centres supply them also.

Here is one option https://mvstone.ie/product-category/gravel-pebbles-rockery/rockery-stone/ I don't have any experience of them myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,812 ✭✭✭Addle

Thanks. We’re in the west.
    Will get himself to get on to some quarries.

Advertisement