Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New build for fileserver / media centre

Options
  • 21-04-2020 10:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I have an old Proliant N40l running unraid. It's served me well over the years but is starting to show its age. It runs Sonarr and SabNZB just fine but chokes when I run Plex server. I have 4 HDDs in it of various sizes and vintage. I'd like to replace it with something a bit more modern but relatively compact. I've no plans to move it to the living room but would like something relatively silent in case I change my mind.

This is where my head is at right now -

Case
    Fractal Design Node 804 - 100stg on Amazon

Processor
    AMD Ryzen 3 3200G - 78stg on Amazon

Motherboard
    MSI B450M MORTAR MAX - 90stg on Amazon

PSU
    BeQuiet! System Power 9 600W - 63stg on Amazon

RAM
    Corsair CMK16GX4M2B3200C16 Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4 3200 MHz - 78stg on Amazon

Total comes to about 410 stg. works out around 470EUR right now. The price is ok, it's at the upper end of what I want to spend. The machine feels overspecced for what I need but i'd like it to last as long as the n40l did so there is an element of futureproofing there.

I don't need any peripherals. I don't need any hard drives. I don't need wireless. I don't need an OS.

My current solution for Plex is to use the server that's built in to my Nvidia Shield. Most of my content is 1080p. There's a few 2160p files in there. The Shield manages fine with most everything I throw at it.

My questions are
    1. am i right in thinking that the items I've chosen will play nicely with each other? I don't know how to calculate power drain but 600w seems like a good size - should I go smaller for less energy consumption, or does that even matter?
    2. Is there any element here where I'm throwing money away?

Thanks for reading. Hope it all makes sense.

Michael

Advertisement