Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Relaxation of restrictions Part II

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,179 ✭✭✭✭fr336

Because the cure is becoming worse than the disease for the majority. Most of us need to get back to work so that we don’t end up with a Stone Age economy. In order for the old and vulnerable to be looked after those of us who do not fall into those categories need to be contributing as normal.

Stone age economy! HA! What do you think happens to the economy when people start buying again? And they haven't stopped buying now, by the way.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,953 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

The elder healthy wealthy pensioners may be our saviours. Going forward lol.

Pity they spend their money on the Costas rather than here.

But then again who would want to be cocooned in a flat in Benidorm or the likes either. Better to have your own back garden these days.

Between the skiers and skaters and the holiday homers, I dunno, what have I done wrong!

This isn't a solution. Presumably your plan of eradicating it completely involves shutting down all travel into the country until the rest of the world is also rid of it?

Are you saying there should have never been a lockdown, Spencer?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,888 ✭✭✭✭martingriff

road_high wrote: »
    Follow the paths Germany and other neighbours are on. Slowly reopening with continued social distancing and hygiene.
    Work from home to continue for those that can. Staggered shifts also in offices/factories etc.
    Allow restaurants and cafes open for take away and/or social distancing.
    Similar for all small business really. We will take baby steps and not rush back into anything.
    Schools etc to follow after that

100% agree. May see a small bit of school (get them out of the house for a bit, stagger years) but nothing until September

niallo27 wrote: »
    What natural disasters have we had to deal with.

This one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,407 ✭✭✭✭road_high

DeVore wrote: »
    Theres a guy who is in my wood turning group. 75, carpenter all his life, real Dub. Strong as **** from lifting.. no he's dead now.

2 days ago.

This virus doesnt give a sh*t about you.

Yes people got the virus and died. It’s tragic. We know that else we wouldn’t be here discussing it. We are all aware of the fact anyone can die from it.
    But they also die from poverty, poor healthcare, mental health issues all of which permeate from a destroyed economy

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

Unless someone thinks that hospitals DO NOTHING to help, then they must agree that exceeding the hospitals capacity MUST therefore impact mortality.

ie: more people die if we do that.

So we shouldnt do that.

I really really cant make this f*cking clearer.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,379 ✭✭✭FintanMcluskey

Absolutely no evidence that they won`t either.

If this was killing young healthy people it would effect the death rate. This years death rate wont be unusual

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

Yes people got the virus and died. It’s tragic. We know that else we wouldn’t be here discussing it. We are all aware of the fact anyone can die from it.
    But they also die from poverty, poor healthcare, mental health issues all of which permeate from a destroyed economy
    Not anything like at this rate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 268 ✭✭Spencer Brown

fr336 wrote: »
    Are you saying there should have never been a lockdown, Spencer?

The lockdown was to flatten the curve...... which it has done. WTF is wrong with you? You seem genuinely unhinged.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 946 ✭✭✭gauchesnell

And the only reason it's apparently restricted to care settings at the moment is because of the bloomin' lockdown! Honestly how bad are people's memories? Pre lockdown there were cases coming out from many countries including the UK of fit and healthy young people ending up in intensive care with this. The lockdown is working. The same people calling for it to be lifted too soon (I mean too soon as in May) are exactly the types who called it "just the flu", "only affects the old" (so anyone older 60) etc at the start. Why would anyone listen to these fools?

Point well made - it seems like an age ago but before the current lockdown there were cases in schools and workplaces (my own work place included). I think a Dunnes employee was diagnosed and social media went mental.

Reopen too soon businesses will close again pretty quickly when cases increase again.

Follow the paths Germany and other neighbours are on.

Ireland isn't Germany. The UK certainly isn't. Ireland's death rate per capita is not good enough. But yeah, let's compare with one of the best performing countries and get the show back on the road. We are all invincible here, after all.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,953 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

So the future is some auld one on Joe Duffy whos spends her holiday on Lahinch? Have you been to Lahinch lately?

She spends her Winter in a gated community in Alicante. Like many others do too.

That's fine, we are all in lockdown variously. Bet she has the 183 days for Revenue residence sorted out.

Nah nah.

DeVore wrote: »
    Unless someone thinks that hospitals DO NOTHING to help, then they must agree that exceeding the hospitals capacity MUST therefore impact mortality.

ie: more people die if we do that.

So we shouldnt do that.

I really really cant make this f*cking clearer.

More people die if we havent money to treat them.

Hospital capicity isnt exceeded.

I really cant make this f#ucking clearer.

The lockdown was to flatten the curve...... which it has done. WTF is wrong with you? You seem genuinely unhinged.

Pot and kettle. But I can't disagree, let's lift the lockdown in the morning. What do the governments know anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,571 ✭✭✭Penfailed

niallo27 wrote: »
    One of the largest construction groups in the country are back the 6th of May. Lots of things happening behind the scenes.

Who?

Gigs '24 - Ben Ottewell and Ian Ball (Gomez), The Jesus & Mary Chain, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Pearl Jam, Green Day, Stendhal Festival, Forest Fest, Electric Picnic, Ride, PJ Harvey, Pixies, Public Service Broadcasting, Therapy?, IDLES(x2)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,829 ✭✭✭Cork Boy 53

Deaths have averaged over 2020 so far. Nothing unusual. The height of this in the UK was only a 20 year peak. Didnt see any social media heros in 2000. We had more important things to worry about in 2000 like William Gates Y2k bug

Oh right. I suppose you believe that was scaremongering, over hyped, blah blah blah as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭Icyseanfitz

If this was killing young healthy people it would effect the death rate. This years death rate wont be unusual

apart from the rather large global and domestic increase in the number of deaths is it? :confused:

Pot and kettle. But I can't disagree, let's lift the lockdown in the morning. What do the governments know anyway.

Honestly I have no idea what point you are trying to make.

apart from the rather large global and domestic increase in the number of deaths is it? :confused:

Have you a source for a much greater toll over the 1st 4 months of this year

• Advertisement

More people die if we havent money to treat them.

Hospital capicity isnt exceeded.

I really cant make this f#ucking clearer.

Every government in the world borrows at every other time. Your claim that hospitals will run out of money after a month or two is laughable. Absolutely laughable. What if there was a world war? Would states simply run out of money and the war would end?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,829 ✭✭✭Cork Boy 53

Your magical crystal ball is showing that is it?

Every government in the world borrows at every other time. Your claim that hospitals will run out of money after a month or two is laughable. Absolutely laughable. What if there was a world war? Would states simply run out of money and the war would end?

Have you seen what the economists are predicting?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭Icyseanfitz

Have you a source for a much greater toll over the 1st 4 months of this year

i am already at my wits end in this thread, i am not going to go try and back up the fact covid-19 is real and kills people, covid-19 isnt made up, it isnt the flu, it is something new that can and is killing people that wouldnt have died previously. From these rather simple facts we can extrapolate that 2020 will have a greater than average number of deaths.

Honestly I have no idea what point you are trying to make.

I wish you well

I wish you well

Enjoy your flight

• Registered Users Posts: 7,857 ✭✭✭growleaves

Here from economist Siddhartha Sanghi is a graph (data from CDC) showing USA raw weekly death counts for the first three months of the year compared to previous years.

lockdown.png?resize=768%2C555&ssl=1

• Registered Users Posts: 7,857 ✭✭✭growleaves

Here from economist Siddhartha Sanghi is a graph (data from CDC) showing USA raw weekly death counts for the first three months of the year compared to previous years.

lockdown.png?resize=768%2C555&ssl=1

i am already at my wits end in this thread, i am not going to go try and back up the fact covid-19 is real and kills people, covid-19 isnt made up, it isnt the flu, it is something new that can and is killing people that wouldnt have died previously. From these rather simple facts we can extrapolate that 2020 will have a greater than average number of deaths.

Ill break up your post to reply

kills people, covid-19 isnt made up, it isnt the flu, it is something new that can and is killing people that wouldnt have died previously
    (Everyone that dies hasnt died previously)

From these rather simple facts we can extrapolate that 2020 will have a greater than average number of deaths
    (No we can not suggest that)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,436 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

Deaths have averaged over 2020 so far. Nothing unusual. The height of this in the UK was only a 20 year peak. Didnt see any social media heros in 2000. We had more important things to worry about in 2000 like William Gates Y2k bug

this is from 5 years ago, but

9KnNEOy.png
    https://www.ons.gov.uk/peoplepopulationandcommunity/birthsdeathsandmarriages/deaths/articles/highestnumberofexcesswinterdeathssince19992000/2015-11-25

and this shows this year, and average for last 5 years

400px-2020_UK_ONS_weekly_COVID19_deaths.png

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2020_coronavirus_pandemic_in_the_United_Kingdom

and we're not half way through this yet

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement