Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Relaxation of restrictions Part II

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,160 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

I can't imagine Lockdown Larry is going to care about a famine that affects black and brown people. It's more important to keep a handful of western white people safe.

It isn't our countries that are responsible for poorer countries introducing lockdown measures.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,857 ✭✭✭growleaves

It isn't our countries that are responsible for poorer countries introducing lockdown measures.

It is the stoppage of the worldwide economy and worldwide system of food production and distribution - a highly complex interdependent system - which could lead to multiple famines, not the local lockdown measures.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,950 ✭✭✭polesheep

growleaves wrote: »
    It is the stoppage of the worldwide economy and worldwide system of food production and distribution - a highly complex interdependent system - which could lead to multiple famines, not the local lockdown measures.

We could find ourselves living on potatoes and cabbage if crops aren't harvested in other parts of the world. The hysteria has to be reined in. Those who are at least risk must be allowed to get back to work.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,427 ✭✭✭mooseknunkle

road_high wrote: »
    Before they were forced to close, I was very impressed with Woodies measures- lots of space for social distancing, security on the door to limit numbers at one time, perspex screen on checkouts (first place I'd seen at the time). They could easily and should re-open asap.

I was only in woodies once before they shut down and it was a lot safer and more relaxed than when i was in supervalu doing my shopping,they really need to open back up.

Some building sites reopened already and food production is essential services in Ireland so was always plugging away.
    Restrictions will ease from May 05th.
    It's not black and white, stop / go ....... it'll be gradual but things will pick up nicely IMO.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,038 ✭✭✭KrustyUCC

This would really make life a lot easier if it this was to be one of the restrictions lifted on May 5th. I suspect if they don't ease some kind of restriction on seeing people from outside your house then people are going to start breaking the restrictions a lot more.

Fingers crossed

The lack of travel is grating on me more as time goes on

• Registered Users Posts: 1,271 ✭✭✭Lollipop95

What’s everyone’s guesses on when WFH restrictions might be lifted or when hairdressers will reopen?

• Registered Users Posts: 716 ✭✭✭Paddygreen

Yes I am noticing even more hardline lockdown advocated are now even turning as the fallout becomes real. The bad news (ie reality) re the economy the past week has been brutal.

Anyone who hasn't a job to go back to should remain on lockdown going forward, no need for them to be out.. Pascal will be grand he has feathered his nest for the future, he definitely deserves a bonus along with Simon , and that doctor dude who copies the UK. Leo was great at keeping the public calm and hopeful while they marched in lockstep with the UK as it goes down the pan. All in all a great job and weren't we lucky to have FG at the helm, and for the next five years hopefully as the crisis develops . Now we need to tighten our belts , throw on the green jersey on and accept that in order to save granny Ireland will have to return to 1950s levels of economic activity. I stress again that the unemployed should remain on lockdown as the devil makes work for idle hands and there will be nowhere left to emigrate to. Stay safe, mask up, listen to the rules and don't stray beyond your 2km excerise area.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,387 ✭✭✭Cina

Lollipop95 wrote: »
    What’s everyone’s guesses on when WFH restrictions might be lifted or when hairdressers will reopen?

WFH will surely be one of the last restrictions to go. Makes no sense for people to be going into work who don't need to. Maybe companies who feel they need workers in the office to function effectively can apply for a special case or some such.

I know a few of the big multinationals have already said they don't expect to have people back in the office before September.

Within 2m of each other for in excess of 15 minutes. I doubt that will be sanctioned in the short term.

WFH is possible is here to stay for months unless workplaces can provide 2m segregation to all desk staff, so it's going to be employer dependent after the lift the blanket if you can WFH, WFH guidance.

• Advertisement

Looks like Vietnam is ending social distancing at midnight tonight for most of the country. Back to February and March's rules so small restaurants, cafes, and shops will be allowed to be opened. Some rural provinces reopened schools for grades 9 and 12 on Monday but the big cities like where I am won't do that for another week or two.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,289 ✭✭✭alwald

It is nice to see the likes of supermac's opening for delivery only. Such businesses can operate with social distancing in place...the real problem isn't these businesses opening but rather your average Joe's "lift all restrictions" behaviour that can endanger us all.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,407 ✭✭✭✭road_high

Looks like Vietnam is ending social distancing at midnight tonight for most of the country. Back to February and March's rules so small restaurants, cafes, and shops will be allowed to be opened. Some rural provinces reopened schools for grades 9 and 12 on Monday but the big cities like where I am won't do that for another week or two.

So many Vietnamese own and run little small businesses- often front of their homes. Most enterprising country and people I've ever visited.
    Social welfare would be very limited/non existent. There's no way in hell they'd be handed €350 per week to sit at home! So they really must try return to some economic normality, as we must but in a different way.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,059 ✭✭✭Irish Aris

I think WFH will be encouraged as much as possible and it would be wise for companies to follow this encouragement. I work from home since the 12th of March, my job is in accounting and Finance, and I am on top of things. Personally I miss the commotion of the office, the chit chat and going together for lunch, but I will have to live without it for a while longer.

Hairdressers would be an interesting one. I reckon they would be allowed to open but social distancing should apply. Taking my local barber for example, they would be able to apply some element of social distancing as they have space for 4 chairs but very rarely use more than 2. There is a small waiting area - now people will just have to wait outside. I can't figure though regarding the equipment. Mine uses the same gown (or whatever is called) for all customers, which I'm not sure it's a good idea anymore. Rest of the equipment could be cleaned in-between customers I guess.

Barber had cheap disposal covers last time I was in pre lockdown

• Registered Users Posts: 700 ✭✭✭Breezin

Augeo wrote: »
    Within 2m of each other for in excess of 15 minutes. I doubt that will be sanctioned in the short term.

Depends on how much hair you have. Five minutes will do me! :P

DIY stores not happy- dead right too to speak up for themselves-
    https://twitter.com/shanebeattynews/status/1252703395015778311?s=21

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Well Aldi and Lidl have always sold such products and they are not over stocking for Covid 19 as far as I can tell. The real issue is that DIY and garden centres are closed not that the budget stores have a tiny fraction of what they sell.

• Registered Users Posts: 946 ✭✭✭gauchesnell

smaller hardware shops are open though

• Registered Users Posts: 10,179 ✭✭✭✭fr336

I'd rather DIY shops open with trade and sensible customers than Aldi and Lidl selling everything they normally do and the whole family tagging along for a day out. Supermarkets should be forced to sell only essentials, the law is the only thing people pay heed to. It's a bit like training children.

• Advertisement

So many Vietnamese own and run little small businesses- often front of their homes. Most enterprising country and people I've ever visited.
    Social welfare would be very limited/non existent. There's no way in hell they'd be handed €350 per week to sit at home! So they really must try return to some economic normality, as we must but in a different way.

Yeah, they're extremely entrepreneurial for a supposedly "communist" country. And yeah, social welfare is pretty much nonexistent instead relying on family support.

They've done an amazing job with this so far. Hoping relaxing restrictions doesn't to result in a big spike and everything get closed again.

Yeah, they're extremely entrepreneurial for a supposedly "communist" country. And yeah, social welfare is pretty much nonexistent instead relying on family support.

They've done an amazing job with this so far. Hoping relaxing restrictions doesn't to result in a big spike and everything get closed again.

Yeah but that's Vietnam. They're sensible, community people. UK and to lesser degree Ireland are full of arrogant "I don't care about no virus"l I've got rights" types. You can't rely on such people to even get the basics right without enforcement by police.

fr336 wrote: »
    I'd rather DIY shops open with trade and sensible customers than Aldi and Lidl selling everything they normally do and the whole family tagging along for a day out. Supermarkets should be forced to sell only essentials, the law is the only thing people pay heed to. It's a bit like training children.

The law should focus on the proles and have a rummage through their shopping. Spot checks to see how essential their shopping trip was. I saw a bandsaw in Lidl yesterday. Wtf does anyone need one of those for during this unprecedented emergency crisis??

Paddygreen wrote: »
    The law should focus on the proles and have a rummage through their shopping. Spot checks to see how essential their shopping trip was. I saw a bandsaw in Lidl yesterday. Wtf does anyone need one of those for during this unprecedented emergency crisis??

I got smelly wellys. I'm going out to give them a wash in the back garden.

Paddygreen wrote: »

No need for checks. Make the shops not sell the items and hold them in the warehouse. Why shut down most of the economy so these few business's can make a fortune?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 268 ✭✭Spencer Brown

Irish Aris wrote: »
    I think WFH will be encouraged as much as possible and it would be wise for companies to follow this encouragement. I work from home since the 12th of March, my job is in accounting and Finance, and I am on top of things. Personally I miss the commotion of the office, the chit chat and going together for lunch, but I will have to live without it for a while longer.

Hairdressers would be an interesting one. I reckon they would be allowed to open but social distancing should apply. Taking my local barber for example, they would be able to apply some element of social distancing as they have space for 4 chairs but very rarely use more than 2. There is a small waiting area - now people will just have to wait outside. I can't figure though regarding the equipment. Mine uses the same gown (or whatever is called) for all customers, which I'm not sure it's a good idea anymore. Rest of the equipment could be cleaned in-between customers I guess.

Busy barbers who don't already should be allowing customers to book time slots via an app etc to control the flow of customers.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,460 ✭✭✭FishOnABike

ZX7R wrote: »
    Seemly a member of the EU commission stated yesterday that family members will be able to travel in the EU to visit or return to their country.
    I can't find an official statement on it though.
    Worth bearing in mind even if the Irish government has an advisory not to fly to another country it is only an advisory if a flight is scheduled the flights would still go ahead , travel insurance may not cover you in this circumstances.

The problem may be more a matter of economics for the airlines. If there aren't enough passengers booked on a flight it's not economic to fly and the flight will be cancelled. There's a certain amount of consolidation and rescheduling that can be done but I'd expect to have to be flexible with any flying plans. With the uncertainty about refunds / vouchers I wouldn't be booking too far in advance either.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,059 ✭✭✭Irish Aris

Busy barbers who don't already should be allowing customers to book time slots via an app etc to control the flow of customers.

totally agree, very standard model in Greece.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,427 ✭✭✭mooseknunkle

No reason why barbers can't be opened too,strictly appointment only with limited opening hours,depending on the size of the shop only 2 barbers and 2 customers allowed in at any time,barber wears a mask and gloves,each haircut done in under 15 minutes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,328 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Problem there is, do supermarkets have to shut down their butcher counter because the small local butchers cannot open and are aggrieved at somebody else making profit while they cannot ? Do they have to stop selling confectionary because the small corner shop is closed ?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement