Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Relaxation of restrictions Part II

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,504 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

gozunda wrote: »
    To be fair the current issues have little or nothing to do with your take on 'fear'. Its everything to do with being pragmatic and developing our on response from other countries experiences. And no it is not inconceivable that we could end up still with our hospitals been overrun and the death rate increasing again.

But more importantly I dont really dont see that anyone is under the impression we can 'defeat' the virus. What we can do like China is to put it back in its box and keep sitting on the lid to ensure that it doesnt get a second chance. And yes that includes a phased lifting of our restrictions as elsewhere.

a virus could emerge in the future ( near or distant ) which has a 90% kill rate , life will still go on some way or other

we cant hide from nature , humans are fragile and death is certain so we might as well just carry on

its in a doctors nature to prioritise the health of everyone regardless of the cost , in fact the cost and practicalities dont enter their head , too much focus has been placed on the views of medics , dan o brien has commented how in germany , the debate has involved economists and even philosophers , here we have bowed exclusively to the doctor fraternity , doctors adore deference and authority as it is and we heaped the maximum on them

• Registered Users Posts: 3,000 ✭✭✭skallywag

Mad_maxx wrote: »
    a virus could emerge in the future ( near or distant ) which has a 90% kill rate , life will still go on some way or other

True, just look at Ebola (90%+) or rabies (99.9%).

• Registered Users Posts: 15,258 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

https://twitter.com/rtenews/status/1258701132140097536?s=19

But yeah let's keep businesses closed and handing out €350 quid a week

• Registered Users Posts: 3,447 ✭✭✭Ginger n Lemon

WOW. 25% was my worst predicted figure, not a figure closer to 30% unemployment.

Leo its time to open up. No jokes now, no Friday night comedy, open up...

• Registered Users Posts: 23,677 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Good news on unemployment which is at 5.4% for April up slightly from 5.3% the previous month.

Obviously the temporary COVID measures drive it up considerably but the seasonally adjusted level of unemployment remains low.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,829 ✭✭✭Cork Boy 53

skallywag wrote: »
    True, just look at Ebola (90%+) or rabies (99.9%).

Vaccines have been developed for both of those diseases. The same can`t be said for the Covid-19 virus.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,346 ✭✭✭easypazz

They will have their work cut out getting people back to work.

As I said previously a lot of businesses are in no rush to reopen, the real world is a lot tougher than civil servants like to think.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,262 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

WOW. 25% was my worst predicted figure, not a figure closer to 30% unemployment.

Do you never get sick of parroting the same lame lines and "jokes" over and over and over again?

(Hint: I do)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,346 ✭✭✭easypazz

Good news on unemployment which is at 5.4% for April up slightly from 5.3% the previous month.

Obviously the temporary COVID measures drive it up considerably but the seasonally adjusted level of unemployment remains low.

You are some clown.

Are the Aer Lingus, Ryanair and general avaition job losses all just temporary?

Will all the small businesses just reopen and be viable at vastly reduced capacity?

Answer is no and no.

There is no good news on unemployment.

As if Leo is reading what a cohort of anonymous posters on boards.ie keep banging on about. Right.........:rolleyes:

• Advertisement

easypazz wrote: »
    They will have their work cut out getting people back to work.

As I said previously a lot of businesses are in no rush to reopen, the real world is a lot tougher than civil servants like to think.

This will also play into things now
    https://twitter.com/SeanDefoe/status/1258687887874363393?s=19

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

As if Leo is reading what a handful of anonymous posters on boards.ie keep banging on about. Right.........:rolleyes:
    Someone is, because you do see things pop up elsewhere! :p

Thats not accurate and you know it. They may well be the permanent unemployed stats for those months but many businesses wont reopen and the people on temporary payment then become part of that unemployed percentage. Kicking the can down the road

• Registered Users Posts: 28,845 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

As if Leo is reading what a cohort of anonymous posters on boards.ie keep banging on about. Right.........:rolleyes:

He's not, but you can be sure someone in FG is. They actively monitor forums like this.

It's a lot more constructive than the nonsense posts on Twitter/Facebook too which generally come across as the "rent a mob" types.

(still, better than the buy a "like" tactic I guess)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,306 ✭✭✭✭castletownman

The policy seems to be "lets treat the general public like lepers when everywhere starts to re-open". I hear everyone is to be given bells to ring when you are approaching human contact.

Increasing health and safety procedures (like the certs that restaurants and the likes need to have), and providing every business with a hand-sanitising station upon entry, while stressing to the at-risk categories that by mingling they are doing so at their own risk, is a much more logical approach, in my opinion.

What was it, 22 cases in the community yesterday? We know that it is clustered in nursing homes, some food processing plants and now they are targeting Direct Provision Centres for their testing. The average Joe can't influence a spread occurring in an environment he/he wouldn't be near anyway. Please tell me how the continued restriction of the majority is the correct approach here, especially given how a sizeable chunk of Europe are re-opening far ahead of us, and the financial implications of keeping the economy in inertia are frightening?

It's amazing how we kowtow to the rest of Europe when it comes to governmental policies and finance, but yet we ignore the "EU model" now. I wonder what spin they will put on the imminent homelessness crisis within the next year? Dr. Holohan has no worries in that regard.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 474 ✭✭ChelseaRentBoy

Some people on here actually think he is, i'm not joking.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,677 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Many businesses will reopen and they are the figures from the CSO.

Take it up with them if you have an issue.

Fear mongering is not helping your case (whatever that case is).

• Registered Users Posts: 7,857 ✭✭✭growleaves

is_that_so wrote: »
    Someone is, because you do see things pop up elsewhere! :p

Of course some journalists and minor government employees would look at it. Probably a few posters are on the gov payroll.

It was an Irish Times headline in the 1990s that the government can legally read people's private emails.

The surveillance powers of the government are classified, and judges have to sign off on them and give extensions.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,571 ✭✭✭Penfailed

easypazz wrote: »
    Get back to work you and stop dossing.;)

In these messed up times, a bank holiday Monday is on a Friday!

Gigs '24 - Ben Ottewell and Ian Ball (Gomez), The Jesus & Mary Chain, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Pearl Jam, Green Day, Stendhal Festival, Forest Fest, Electric Picnic, Ride, PJ Harvey, Pixies, Public Service Broadcasting, Therapy?, IDLES(x2)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 349 ✭✭jibber5000

_Kaiser_ wrote: »
    This is what happens when you have a weak, vain, politician who is more concerned with his Twitter account and selfies with celebs and important people, than actually leading the country and looking after the people in it.

The guy has never been anything beyond spin and soundbites. Look at his performances as a minister in Enda's government. Lots to say about other people's departments - did very little in his own.

No surprise then that he's effectively handed over policy control to Tony and the HSE and making speeches quoting movies.

As I've said soo many times before... this is why FG are never elected except as a protest vote. Because they prove to be even worse than FF in the long run.

Leo decided to take another pop at Trump in his Dail speech yesterday.

We've enough problems without him grandstanding and making cheap glib comments.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,845 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

jibber5000 wrote: »
    Leo decided to take another pop at Trump in his Dail speech yesterday.

We've enough problems without him grandstanding and making cheap glib comments.

I genuinely don't understand the obsession some people here have with Trump and everything he says/tweets. Actually I o.. a lot of people were personally offended by the election results and how people could vote for something/someone not in-line with their own worldview.

Leo is just piggy-backing onto that of course to be down with the cool kids.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,571 ✭✭✭Penfailed

It's amazing how we kowtow to the rest of Europe when it comes to governmental policies and finance, but yet we ignore the "EU model" now.

There is no 'EU Model'. Every country is handling it differently.

Gigs '24 - Ben Ottewell and Ian Ball (Gomez), The Jesus & Mary Chain, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Pearl Jam, Green Day, Stendhal Festival, Forest Fest, Electric Picnic, Ride, PJ Harvey, Pixies, Public Service Broadcasting, Therapy?, IDLES(x2)

Penfailed wrote: »
    In these messed up times, a bank holiday Monday is on a Friday!

I thought that the reason for the NI bank holiday being today is due to it being the 75th anniversary of VE Day the same as the 50th anniversary in 1995 was also a holiday. Is that not the case?

Many businesses will reopen and they are the figures from the CSO.

Take it up with them if you have an issue.

Fear mongering is not helping your case (whatever that case is).

Theres no fear mongering. Its reality. Those permanently unemployed rates are a snapshot at the time no issue there. A large percentage of those of the pandemic unemployment and or wage subsidy scheme payment will become part of the permanent figures, AerLingus, Ryanair, Bewleys to name just 3 who are laying off part or in the case of bewleys cafe all of the workforce.

Businesses will reopen but many wont. Again kicking the can down the road and moving the staff into the unemployed figures . If you think unemployment is going to remain low at those 5% numbers then your deluded. We won't see 5% unemployment for a long long time.

You said good news on unemployment there is no good news on that front.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,748 ✭✭✭Captain_Crash

Actually, on this.. I've a friend who works with PR and social media for FG and I can assure you, while Leo himself is not reading this forum, FG most certainly are

• Registered Users Posts: 11,306 ✭✭✭✭castletownman

Penfailed wrote: »
    There is no 'EU Model'. Every country is handling it differently.

And yet most of them seem to be along the same lines, apart from us.

Actually, on this.. I've a friend who works with PR and social media for FG and I can assure you, while Leo himself is not reading this forum, FG most certainly are

Well we better convince the "deadly 2nd wave could come" doomsayers to change their opinion and look at multiple other countries progresses and their successes in avoiding second waves.

In case a FG member reads that post and gets the impression that our public is very scared and isnt eager at all to go back to work.

Heard a lad on newstalk yesterday who plays for Shelbourne FC saying that some of the playing team may need to go work in construction if football in Ireland doesnt return soon. Heart breaking.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,481 ✭✭✭✭2smiggy

Well we better convince the "deadly 2nd wave could come" doomsayers to change their opinion and look at multiple other countries progresses and their successes in avoiding second waves.

In case a FG member reads that post and gets the impression that our public is very scared and isnt eager at all to go back to work.

Heard a lad on newstalk yesterday who plays for Shelbourne FC saying that some of the playing team may need to go work in construction if football in Ireland doesnt return soon. Heart breaking.

imagine having to work in construction, truly truly heartbreaking indeed

• Registered Users Posts: 7,857 ✭✭✭growleaves

Remember Marlon Brando in On the Waterfront, "I coulda been somebody!"

Nothing wrong with construction but having your realised dream of being a successful athlete taken away from you? Crushing.

• Advertisement

2smiggy wrote: »
    imagine having to work in construction, truly truly heartbreaking indeed

Yeah, when you chose to play football and not go to college only to realise few years down the road you ll be on the dole regardless of how good a football player you are, or go to construction.

A lot of football players could have easily gotten master degrees in college and been in good jobs, but they have this thing called pursuing their dream. Its heart breaking when dreams are shattered. :(

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement