Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Relaxation of restrictions Part II

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,346 ✭✭✭easypazz

Shamer :pac: Will you ever listen to yourself.

I suppose it's better than yesterday when you went out of your way to use a woman dying of cancer to score points.

Why do you keep trying to score points by referring to a woman dying of cancer?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,677 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

easypazz wrote: »
    Just one shamer wearing a mask, these have been defeated now, unless it is made a law.

Defeated?

What are you on about?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 474 ✭✭ChelseaRentBoy

Why do you keep trying to score points by referring to a woman dying of cancer?

I'm not. I'm calling you out on your behaviour.

Was a low point for the thread but expected given the posts you have been making.

• Registered Users Posts: 437 ✭✭fatalll

Out and about the last few hours. A lot of cars everywhere, definitely the first time I always had a few ahead of me and a few tagging behind.

Lots of places now open, or open with some sort of table across the front.

Just one shamer wearing a mask, these have been defeated now, unless it is made a law.

No cops to be seen, people observing social distancing.

The government plan is a sham already, and that's before any restrictions have really been eased.
    What do you mean by shamer wearing a mask?

Was a low point for the thread but expected given the posts you have been making.

You keep bringing it up again and again.

And my point still stands.

There are people on this thread getting off on the claim that all we have is "fairly light restrictions" while in the real world there are people terminally ill suffering hugely because of our lockdown.

The only ones trying to score a cheap point are the people claiming we only have "fairly light restrictions"

• Advertisement

fatalll wrote: »
    What do you mean by shamer wearing a mask?

Presumably a non selfish person taking their responsibility more seriously than that poster ever would or could.

Ridiculous attitude.

Presumably a non selfish person taking their responsibility more seriously than that poster ever would or could.

Ridiculous attitude.

I must have seen 250 people and 1 mask.

So more than 99% of people are selfish for not following non existent advice.

You are exactly what I mean by a mask shamer, expect everybody else to wear one just because you like the idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,218 ✭✭✭snowcat

HeidiHeidi wrote: »
    And for the 47th time, how do you "lock down" nursing homes when medical staff, cleaning staff, suppliers, etc etc all have to interact with the outside world?

I haven't seen a single attempt to answer this yet.

What you do is you lock them down and..test test test. Every worker daily. Every patient daily. Any one that has interaction with the facility will need to be tested. You might not keep it out but you will be able to crack down immediately on outbreaks. Thats how you do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,504 ✭✭✭tobefrank321

HeidiHeidi wrote: »
    And for the 47th time, how do you "lock down" nursing homes when medical staff, cleaning staff, suppliers, etc etc all have to interact with the outside world?

I haven't seen a single attempt to answer this yet.

Proper PPE
    Test Patients for CV19 before transferring them there
    Remove covid 19 positive cases immediately from homes and move them to a city west type facility.
    Stop agency staff moving between homes
    Discourage nursing home staff and their families from mixing in the community until this is under control

Had we tried some or all of these from day 1, we'd have this problem under control and some measures could be relaxed such as staff mixing in the community or re-imposed depending on spikes in nursing home cases.

The cost would be a minute fraction of the cost of closing down the entire economy which has had almost zero impact on reducing nursing home deaths.

Because they likely failed to implement the steps outlined above.

Of course you will get resistance to these measures from the usual quarters who will always prefer the "sledgehammer to drive a nail" shut down the country approach

• Closed Accounts Posts: 474 ✭✭ChelseaRentBoy

You keep bringing it up again and again.

And my point still stands.

There are people on this thread getting off on the claim that all we have is "fairly light restrictions" while in the real world there are people terminally ill suffering hugely because of our lockdown.

The only ones trying to score a cheap point are the people claiming we only have "fairly light restrictions"

Iv'e brought it up twice, hardly again and again like iv'e been droning on about it is it.

Funny you use the word shamed describing people wearing masks when it does zero harm to you or anybody else but make a shameful comment as per.

Anyway i'll leave you to it and put you on ignore as iv'e zero time for discussing issues with someone who'd make comments like that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,447 ✭✭✭Ginger n Lemon

I see increasing outrage of people in this thread with reference to 1 individual wearing a mask.

Well, save the over 70s brigade, newsflash - people do not like to wear masks. Asian people wear masks because of huge level of pollution in their countries.

I myself would not wear one unless its a legal requirement to wear one on public transport. But it has to be backed up by scientific research.

I am a free individual, who has been very lenient with Leo & Co shambles, and now you want me to wear a mask and hide my pretty face? come on now.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,059 ✭✭✭Irish Aris

"A pandemic (from Greek πᾶν, pan, "all" and δῆμος, demos, "people") is an epidemic of disease that has spread across a large region, for instance multiple continents or worldwide, affecting a substantial number of people."

Quite interesting whats their definition of a substantial amount of people?
    Currently less than 0.05% of the world has been infected with Covid according to today's figures.

To respond to the original poster, past performance is not an indicator of future results.

Also, WHO will be gone. Its not just funding cuts to them, they also have this weird thing with Taiwan who have done a spectacular job with covid

"
    The Taiwanese government had a pretty effective response to the virus—especially given its location—and it was all ignored by the WHO."

Being Greek, I wouldn't necessarily agree with this definition. At least that's not the way we use it.

Pandemic refers to a disease that has spread in multiple regions, irrespective of how many people are affected in each region, could be 1 or 1 million.
    Epidemic refers to a disease that has affected a large number of people. As far as I know there is no definition of what "large number of people" means, I reckon it could be different in different scenarios, but I'm not sure anyway.

In general I would consider covid as a pandemic.
    No opinion on the epidemic aspect of it, although I could see the point on both sides of the argument (is it or isn't it)

I see increasing outrage of people in this thread with reference to 1 individual wearing a mask.

Well, save the over 70s brigade, newsflash - people do not like to wear masks. Asian people wear masks because of huge level of pollution in their countries.

I myself would not wear one unless its a legal requirement to wear one on public transport. But it has to be backed up by scientific research.

I am a free individual, who has been very lenient with Leo & Co shambles, and now you want me to wear a mask and hide my pretty face? come on now.
    Dont think there is any outrage, think the glib attitude to someone wearing a mask sbout "shamed". It did not bother the person wearing it.
    So why the outrage from the poster would be my question. why does it bother him?
    If anything the person wearing the mask may be just looking out for themselves, possibly others, who knows.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭timmy_mallet

Iv'e brought it up twice, hardly again and again like iv'e been droning on about it is it.

Funny you use the word shamed describing people wearing masks when it does zero harm to you or anybody else but make a shameful comment as per.

Anyway i'll leave you to it and put you on ignore as iv'e zero time for discussing issues with someone who'd make comments like that.

I would disagree with 'zero harm'. As long as mask wearers don't start to look down their nose at non-mask wearers and start demanding that they wear them, then fine, but that is unlikely to be case.

Irish Aris wrote: »
    Being Greek, I wouldn't necessarily agree with this definition. At least that's not the way we use it.

Pandemic refers to a disease that has spread in multiple regions, irrespective of how many people are affected in each region, could be 1 or 1 million.
    Epidemic refers to a disease that has affected a large number of people. As far as I know there is no definition of what "large number of people" means, I reckon it could be different in different scenarios, but I'm not sure anyway.

In general I would consider covid as a pandemic.
    No opinion on the epidemic aspect of it, although I could see the point on both sides of the argument (is it or isn't it)

Good point. If 20 individuals in 20 different countries get covid, covid becomes a pandemic?

Pandemic sounds so terrifying doesnt it? 0.05% of the planet infected with Covid and we are shutting down shop. Talk about eye brow raising. (thats 0.05% have been infected, active cases is more like 0.02%)

These are the exact people I refer to as mask shamers, they want everybody to wear one just because they like wearing them.

There is no requirement to wear a mask and yet people on here consider it selfish not to wear one.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,857 ✭✭✭growleaves

LiquidZeb wrote: »
    Yes because the Spanish flu is the only outbreak to occur in the past century. As I've said before it was pre national health service, pre electricity in many places and pre running water and sanitation. People lived in cramped tenements and worked in bustling factories. There was also a war going on. Its apples and oranges compared to the current situation

They lived together in trenches if they were soldiers - is there a more cramped and unsanitary way to live?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

If you say there is no official or current global mortality rate for covid, why are you so afraid of lifting restrictions quickly? Because our empty hospitals may get overwhelmed?Do you really think that will happen considering that nation has been brainwashed to wash their hands every 2 minutes and stay 2 metres away from nearest individual that doesnt live in your household? Do you really think if restrictions are lifted people will go and hug their grandparents as much as possible?

You dont need to turn my idea of dying with covid on its head. Friend, people die of cancer, heart disease, lung disease, smoking, having non existent immune system, the list goes on and on and on. Over 300 people in this country die of obesity relating diseases (not covid) every year. If they contract covid and die, do you really think its a covid death?

Probably because two plus two is not fifty six.

Lol. Experts not being able to calculate the global mortality rate because of a number of unknown variables such as the total number infected does not negate the current pandemic. Or even the fact that many countries have used restrictions to keep down the rate of infection. Roll those back too quickly without reducing the number of new cases or deaths and you've got trouble.

Id suggest perhaps you should write to the various medical colleges and submit your thesis on 'Dying with Covid - 101 other ways to die / Its all a big Con". I'm sure they would be delighted to look at that for you. Hell they may even give you a honorary PhD!

And with that I'll leave you do your various conspiracy theories and creative accounting ...

Dont think there is any outrage, think the glib attitude to someone wearing a mask sbout "shamed". It did not bother the person wearing it.
    So why the outrage from the poster would be my question. why does it bother him?
    If anything the person wearing the mask may be just looking out for themselves, possibly others, who knows.

In theory a valid point. A valiant good point.

But some parents, some fathers say, they would have a big issue with their children growing up in a world with people who wear masks to protect themselves. Children may get the wrong idea, and fathers who do quick numbers and calculations and see the 0.2% 0.3% 0.5% percentages, be like what no dont look at those mask people they are a bit cray

• Registered Users Posts: 7,571 ✭✭✭Penfailed

The 'outrage' (really?) was aimed at Easypazz calling the mask wearer a 'shamer' (whatever that is).

Gigs '24 - Ben Ottewell and Ian Ball (Gomez), The Jesus & Mary Chain, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Pearl Jam, Green Day, Stendhal Festival, Forest Fest, Electric Picnic, Ride, PJ Harvey, Pixies, Public Service Broadcasting, Therapy?, IDLES(x2)

• Advertisement

These are the exact people I refer to as mask shamers, they want everybody to wear one just because they like wearing them.

There is no requirement to wear a mask and yet people on here consider it selfish not to wear one.

You make all these things up - mask shamers? lol

There is a small proportion of the population who don't care about anyone but themselves.

You are clearly in that cohort so there is no point arguing the toss.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,857 ✭✭✭growleaves

I thought that the reason for the NI bank holiday being today is due to it being the 75th anniversary of VE Day the same as the 50th anniversary in 1995 was also a holiday. Is that not the case?

Looking forward to VM Day (Victory over Microbes Day) whenever that is.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,571 ✭✭✭Penfailed

I haven't seen anyone on here that considers it selfish not to wear a mask. You have no idea about the motivations of the mask wearer you described as a shamer.

Gigs '24 - Ben Ottewell and Ian Ball (Gomez), The Jesus & Mary Chain, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Pearl Jam, Green Day, Stendhal Festival, Forest Fest, Electric Picnic, Ride, PJ Harvey, Pixies, Public Service Broadcasting, Therapy?, IDLES(x2)

You make all these things up - mask shamers? lol

There is a small proportion of the population who don't care about anyone but themselves.

You are clearly in that cohort so there is no point arguing the toss.

Because I don't wear a mask that is not a requirement.

I observed social distancing while out today, as did everybody else, yet that is not good enough for you.

Apparently by not wearing a mask a person is selfish and they only care about themselves.

You epitomise exactly what a mask shamer is. Expect everybody follow non existent requirements.

Because I don't wear a mask that is not a requirement.

I observed social distancing while out today, as did everybody else, yet that is not good enough for you.

Apparently by not wearing a mask a person is selfish and they only care about themselves.

You epitomise exactly what a mask shamer is. Expect everybody follow non existent requirements.

Not because you won't wear a mask.

Because you are insulting people who do.

How is the person wearing the mask shaming you?

gozunda wrote: »
    Lol. Experts not being able to calculate the global mortality rate because of a number of unknown variables such as the total number infected does not negate the current pandemic. Or even the fact that many countries have used restrictions to keep down the rate of infection. Roll those back too quickly without reducing the number of new cases or deaths and you've got trouble.

Id suggest perhaps you should write to the various medical colleges and submit your thesis on 'Dying with Covid - 101 other ways to die / Its all a big Con". I'm sure they would be delighted to look at that for you. Hell they may even give you a honorary PhD!

And with that I'll leave you do your various conspiracy theories and creative accounting ...

My aggressive friend, this thread would be 30% shorter without you :)

So you will completely ignore virologists from US, Germany, Finland, Cyprus who say that from their study of MILLIONS of people, concluded mortality rate of 0.3% is evident?

What experts are unable to calculate mortality rate - Tony cervical check Holohan? Simon stay at home Harris?

You can win this argument, we both know you really want to as you seem to be very angry with me, just link some studies showing 5% mortality? Link some scientific studies showing 2% mortality? Link something that shows a higher mortality than 0.8%.

https://unherd.com/thepost/german-virologist-finds-covid-fatality-rate-of-0-24-0-36/

In theory a valid point. A valiant good point.

But some parents, some fathers say, they would have a big issue with their children growing up in a world with people who wear masks to protect themselves. Children may get the wrong idea, and fathers who do quick numbers and calculations and see the 0.2% 0.3% 0.5% percentages, be like what no dont look at those mask people they are a bit cray

"Those mask people" really.....

Look I dont wear a mask, they are not very nice to wear to be honest.
    But once people keep the 2 metres I have no problem if you wear a mask or not unless they have covid obviously in which case they should be isolating.

I would wear a mask on public transport though for the next couple of weeks anyway if I have to use at any stage that is.

• Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭boring accountant

I think you’re really scraping the barrel here. It’s perfectly legitimate to bring up the suffering of sick people in this discussion considering the subject matter. You’re just engaging in moralising because the tide is finally turning against you.

You’re just engaging in moralising because the tide is finally turning against you.

I'm trying to get my head around this twisted psychology..

What is the tide that is being turned?

Is it the successful avoidance of a massive death toll?

Is that the tide you want turned?

Are you a Gemma fan or...?

What's the issue that you have?

• Advertisement

"Those mask people" really.....

Look I dont wear a mask, they are not very nice to wear to be honest.
    But once people keep the 2 metres I have no problem if you wear a mask or not unless they have covid obviously in which case they should be isolating.

I would wear a mask on public transport though for the next couple of weeks anyway if I have to use at any stage that is.

Oh dont worry, I dont have an agenda against people wearing masks. I want to help them. I may be the nicest guy ever.

Look. Think twice before promoting masks my friend. Also, faulty masks is a thing as well and people dont usually spend heavily on their health. Not until they are on the treatment table.

"But in filtering those particles, the mask also makes it harder to breathe. N95 masks are estimated to reduce oxygen intake by anywhere from 5 to 20 percent. That's significant, even for a healthy person." ... For patients who already have respiratory complications, wearing a mask could be life-threatening.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement