Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Relaxation of restrictions Part II

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,504 ✭✭✭tobefrank321

fatalll wrote: »
    I dont think the problem is the actual exams but the travelling to/from and people going into and out of room etc.

Its not as simple as you are trying to make out

again, they wanted to try run it, they were damned either way

Honestly, have we lost the ability to come up with solutions in this country? It seems so.

Travelling to and from? Private car, walk or cycle - where's the problem? Public transport - mask and gloves - zero threat of infection.

People going in and out of rooms? Very easy to overcome. Open up all entrances to the school. Ask students to enter 2 metres apart as happens now with shops - simple.

Its just pure laziness from the government. They are too lazy to even try to come up with solutions. Easier to cancel and lockdown. Utterly hopeless.

I'm not nor never will be ashamed to be Irish. But I'm ashamed of our current government at this time. Shambles doesn't being to describe it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,670 ✭✭✭jay0109

Its just pure laziness from the government. They are too lazy to even try to come up with solutions. Easier to cancel and lockdown.

It's not laziness, it's populism. Once FF started shouting last week for a cancellation and then SF ran and joined in, FG were only ever going to go one way on this.

We haven't a Government, we have people on high salaries making decisions based on feelings and opinion polls

• Registered Users Posts: 4,444 ✭✭✭robbiezero

VonLuck wrote: »
    Because not everyone is as responsible as you. If the government give an inch people would take a mile.

Not a good enough reason to punish the 95% that would be responsible.
    That 5% are going to run amok no matter what.

I think its absolutely ridiculous that they expect people to wait another 10 weeks before they can even sit in a garden 5 metres away from family and have a chat.
    Not a hope is that lasting and they would be better off to accept and provide suitable guidelines that the 95% would actually follow.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,447 ✭✭✭Ginger n Lemon

Great quote from our friend Ivan

"People say oh we ll just borrow more money. Do you know what that means? It means USC"

A lot of people are texting newstalk, saying "I am so tired of these non elected officials damaging our country"

Seriously, what the hell. They are indeed non elected. They are not wanted and yet they make all the decisions. I like M Martin, but if he doesnt form a govt by end of this month I ll like him much less. He needs to save us, and I appreciate he is ex health minister too but surely he isnt as bad as Leo & Co?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,670 ✭✭✭jay0109

I like M Martin, but if he doesnt form a govt by end of this month I ll like him much less. He needs to save us, and I appreciate he is ex health minister too but surely he isnt as bad as Leo & Co?

Oh ye of the short memories!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

You cant possibly be providing links of what WHO say? They said banning travel from China was a bad idea. I really like talking to you btw

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-china-health-who/who-chief-says-widespread-travel-bans-not-needed-to-beat-china-virus-idUSKBN1ZX1H3

Your comments are pure comedy gold

So you think there is an actual current official global mortality rate? Where?

You believe that the current outbreak was not designated a global pandemic?

Keep going. I'm all ears lol. Btw I borrowed these. I think they are better here ...

:pac::pac::pac:

jay0109 wrote: »
    Oh ye of the short memories!

Are you telling me that it doesnt matter who is in the government, we are going to lift lockdown at turtle pace?

This is a perfect time for some active young politician to start pushing agenda of quick lifting of restrictions.

What about that lad Coveney? Nah i am just joking :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,857 ✭✭✭growleaves

Are you telling me that it doesnt matter who is in the government, we are going to lift lockdown at turtle pace?

This is a perfect time for some active young politician to start pushing agenda of quick lifting of restrictions.

What about that lad Coveney? Nah i am just joking :pac:

Well M. Martin said in the Dáil recently 'The virus is as bad as we feared it would be' (quoting from memory)

• Registered Users Posts: 45,675 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

gozunda wrote: »
    Your comments are pure comedy gold

So you think there is an actual current official global mortality rate? Where?

You believe that the current outbreak was not designated a global pandemic?

Keep going. I'm all ears lol. Btw I borrowed these. I think they are better here ...

:pac::pac::pac:

If they is no global pandemic, and the mortality rate is actually really low... then why would travel to China be a bad idea?

Odd the poster seems to have a problem with travel to china, but doesn't think the virus is a big problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 437 ✭✭fatalll

Great quote from our friend Ivan

"People say oh we ll just borrow more money. Do you know what that means? It means USC"

A lot of people are texting newstalk, saying "I am so tired of these non elected officials damaging our country"

Seriously, what the hell. They are indeed non elected. They are not wanted and yet they make all the decisions. I like M Martin, but if he doesnt form a govt by end of this month I ll like him much less. He needs to save us, and I appreciate he is ex health minister too but surely he isnt as bad as Leo & Co?

Now, what party introduced USC?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,306 ✭✭✭✭castletownman

Hooked wrote: »
    THIS!

I'll be meeting up with the lads later tonight. 2m distances, bring our own beer and snacks. Prob bring my camp chairs, so as to further play my part.

It is possible to apply social distancing, good hygiene and enjoy a beer with friends, while being safe. The current "roadmap" is a crock of shîte.

I might even chance a drive down the coast tomorrow. What flückin' harm am I doing IN my own van, and mixing with ABSOLUTELY NO ONE!!!

Don't say that too loud in here. There are certain people that equate a high volume of traffic as everyone flouting the rules.

The are the same people who are probably in the middle of a busy park taking photos of everyone else there, and claiming that the others are a disgrace.

If they is no global pandemic, and the mortality rate is actually really low... then why would travel to China be a bad idea?

Odd the poster seems to have a problem with travel to china, but doesn't think the virus is a big problem.

I clearly say travel from China. Article I link says "bans on travellers from China."

You know, if Ireland did this back in February and did not listen to WHO maybe we wouldnt have a 5 month lockdown for gyms, shopping centres and pubs.

Very true. I like your application of logic. Would a wip around for an airfare to wherever the latest hotspot is be a good litmus test I wonder?

The mind boggles ...

• Registered Users Posts: 437 ✭✭fatalll

If covid did not come from China it would have come from another country.
    It may actually have anyway.
    eg. Italy, France, Uk etc

• Registered Users Posts: 2,797 ✭✭✭Hooked

sterz wrote: »

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Hooked View Post
    Hearing this annoys me...

I HATE the roadmap, and think the CMO, Leo and Simon are tools.

BUT - I will continue to social distance, use PPE where necessary and stick to just my immediate family group.
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Hooked
    I'll be meeting up with the lads later tonight. 2m distances, bring our own beer and snacks. Prob bring my camp chairs, so as to further play my part.

Say what?

Close friends = family. Jog on...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,289 ✭✭✭alwald

These restrictions are going to be with us for the foreseable. Schools are preparing apps/websites as we speak so that kids will be split in different groups to allow social distancing...when they are not scheduled to be physically in class they will log and do their assigned work online.

There is a chance that no vaccine will be found so our new normal will be WFH, social distancing, very limited number of people in bars/restaurants and no mass gathering.

Herd immunity isn't guaranteed and even with antibodies we don't know how long the immunity lasts...let's not even talk about the long term effects of this virus on the human body as it will take us years to obtain the necessary scientific evidence.

It's time for the EU to look at things like a UBI to allow all citizens to live a decent life and avoid poverty, abuse and whatnot.

Very true. I like your application of logic. Would a wip around for an airfare to wherever the latest hotspot is be a good litmus test I wonder?

The mind boggles ...

The mind boggles when CSO announces 28.2% unemployment.

The mind boggles when you are unable to provide a single scientific research link that shows that this "deadly pandemic disease" has a high mortality rate and that we indeed should be sitting at home and getting our economy to Rwnanda levels.

Mind boggles when you say that people with cancer live a long life.

My friend, my mind is boggling too much talking to you. You clearly think that this is a deadly pandemic and that keeping most businesses shut down in the country for 4 - 5 months is an appropriate response, losing 10,000 + jobs permanently in the process. (that could be 100,000 by August actually)

Don't say that too loud in here. There are certain people that equate a high volume of traffic as everyone flouting the rules.

The are the same people who are probably in the middle of a busy park taking photos of everyone else there, and claiming that the others are a disgrace.

Prob the same ones that'll say I'm putting LIVES AIN DANGER if I break down...
    Like I'll be riding the tow-truck guy, up on his back... as if he's a donkey at a fair!

jay0109 wrote: »
    I'll be blaming no one your Lordship. I'm just reporting what I see.

I'm still working from home, not leaving the house except for the supermarket runs or a walk/run. The rest of my household observing the rules too.
    But will prob chuck the towel in after a few more weeks of seeing everyone else having reverted to the new normal

But they won't... they'll revert to the OLD normal because our "insect overlords" can't be arsed ti explain how to properly live WITH the virus. They're too busy locking us all up because they can't get testing/capacity sorted. :mad:

fatalll wrote: »
    If covid did not come from China it would have come from another country.
    It may actually have anyway.
    eg. Italy, France, Uk etc

True again. The Chinese are actually blaming the Americans.

Btw the linked article headline states "WHO chief says widespread travel bans not needed to beat China virus"

So as the poster claimed that the current pandemic is "truely nothing at all" then they should really be in agreement with the WHO that travel bans were not needed. And not criticising them ...

• Advertisement

Great news

Leo "We would like to resume international travel by end of year, or even as early as this summer"

Tide is turning?

The mind boggles when CSO announces 28.2% unemployment.The mind boggles when you are unable to provide a single scientific research link that shows that this "deadly pandemic disease" has a high mortality rate and that we indeed should be sitting at home and getting our economy to Rwnanda levels. Mind boggles when you say that people with cancer live a long life. My friend, my mind is boggling too much talking to you. You clearly think that this is a deadly pandemic and that keeping most businesses shut down in the country for 4 - 5 months is an appropriate response, losing 10,000 + jobs permanently in the process. (that could be 100,000 by August actually)

Hey whatever - boggle away to your hearts content - but maybe calm down a bit. You are just ranting now. They're all your claims - not mine and as far as I can see no one else's either.

Edit:

One thing - just as you are a relatively new on boards and I think you're funny but you need to get your quoting fixed. You claim that it was said ' that people with cancer live a long life'. Thats incorrect btw

This is the actual quote:
    Though obviously not all cancers are fatal and many people live long lives even with diagnosed Long Term Illnessses 

I have family members who can attest to both these statements btw.

And no I did not refer to this as a "deadly pandemic disease". That's you again btw

Hey whatever - boggle away to your hearts content - but maybe calm down a bit. You are just ranting now. They're all your claims - not mine and as far as I can see no one else's either.

Well CSO figure is a fact.

10 000 permanent jobs lost as of now is a fact.

Us sitting at home is a fact.

Pubs, cinemas, gyms 5 month lockdown is a fact.

These are not "claims", they are facts. The minute I start lying, please keep me in check.

Dont worry for my heart, I am a young healthy individual that would love to go to these places called "non essential businesses" and spend some of my money to support jobs. It's just government is not a fan of this sort of reckless carry on. I am a million miles away from ranting btw :) Rants will start when Tony cervical check starts announcing extensions to lockdown keeping our country closed into autumn.

https://mobile.twitter.com/ZaraKing/status/1258804800789102593/photo/1?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw%7Ctwcamp%5Etweetembed%7Ctwterm%5E1258804800789102593&ref_url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.boards.ie%2F

A breakdown of the deaths. Criminal that we remain in lockdown with these figures. Over 900 of the deaths are over 80!

Cocoon the elders and let us work!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,258 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

https://twitter.com/ZaraKing/status/1258804800789102593?s=19

This gives an indication as to how the population is affected by age group in terms of lifting restrictions and how deadly the virus could be by age group.

Let the vast majority of us get back into the workplace and go about our lives in as safe a manner as possible

https://twitter.com/ZaraKing/status/1258804800789102593?s=19

This gives an indication as to how the population is affected by age group in terms of lifting restrictions and how deadly the virus could be by age group.

Scandalous having an entire country in lockdown for months for an illness impacting over 80s.

Over 900 deaths in the over 80s.

Should we cocoon them? No... close our society instead.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,141 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

https://mobile.twitter.com/ZaraKing/status/1258804800789102593/photo/1?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw%7Ctwcamp%5Etweetembed%7Ctwterm%5E1258804800789102593&ref_url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.boards.ie%2F

A breakdown of the deaths. Criminal that we remain in lockdown with these figures. Over 900 of the deaths are over 80!

Cocoon the elders and let us work!

So you are happy for this to blow up again, and get us back to where we were a month ago when we were getting up to a thousand new cases a day? And if we get back to that level, perhaps 2,000, 5,000 a day? What level of infection would you be "happy" with?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,379 ✭✭✭FintanMcluskey

Italy with pubs open in less than 3 weeks. Meanwhile in Ireland a tyrant with a title of CMO who has been handed unbridled control has cancelled state exams completely unchallenged. No right to protest of course

• Registered Users Posts: 581 ✭✭✭Pitch n Putt

Italy with pubs open in less than 3 weeks. Meanwhile in Ireland a tyrant with a title of CMO who has been handed unbridled control has cancelled state exams completely unchallenged. No right to protest of course

The lunatics are running the asylum now Unbelievable stuff :mad::mad:

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,141 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

There is a separate thread discussing the Leaving Cert situation (and another discussing state exams in general). This one is for discussion of the relaxation of restrictions

Any questions, PM me. Do not respond to this post in-thread

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement