Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Relaxation of restrictions Part II

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 711 ✭✭✭chancer12

I think they should allow hardware and garden centers open so people can stay at home gardening or doing up the house especially coming up to bank holiday, people are bored and want to get out off the house, If I could get my hands on paint I'd paint the whole fcking house and I'm sure a lot off others would do the same and keep them in the house.

Absolutely, would love to get my hands on a few books as well. E-booked out at this stage! Art & hobby shops, shoe repair would be useful too as well as dry cleaners and I'm sure lots of kids don't fit into last year's summer clothes so those shops could be added to. All with social distancing in practice but those few small changes could give people such a lift.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,407 ✭✭✭✭road_high

Strumms wrote: »
    Problem there is, do supermarkets have to shut down their butcher counter because the small local butchers cannot open and are aggrieved at somebody else making profit while they cannot ? Do they have to stop selling confectionary because the small corner shop is closed ?

The solution is to end this sheer nonsense and let all businesses return and get on with it. It's waste of energy even discussing this micro nit picking. It's obvious the current law is a sieve and not really serving any purpose bar making multiples more dominant.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,298 ✭✭✭facehugger99

road_high wrote: »
    The solution is to end this sheer nonsense and let all businesses return and get on with it. It's waste of energy even discussing this micro nit picking. It's obvious the current law is a sieve and not really serving any purpose bar making multiples more dominant.

Small businesses and shops, who were already having to deal with the impacts of online shopping and out-of-town retail parks, have been royally fcuked over by Govt.

It's disgraceful what has been done and hundreds of businesses may have been wiped out by an over-zealous response to placate the hysterical lockdown-mob.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,441 ✭✭✭JoeA3

Small businesses and shops, who were already having to deal with the impacts of online shopping and out-of-town retail parks, have been royally fcuked over by Govt.

It's disgraceful what has been done and hundreds of businesses may have been wiped out by an over-zealous response to placate the hysterical lockdown-mob.

100% agree.

But I must say some businesses could do more to help themselves. For instance, a couple of restaurants in my locality have adapted quickly and come up with clever ideas to do takeaway and delivery, and seem to be doing well from it. Whereas other small cafe's and restaurants just seemed to give up and sit on their hands. I know not all of them have the facility to do takeaway type services, but more of them can that are trying imo...

I guess those that are most likely to survive will be the ones that adapted to the situation best.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 268 ✭✭Spencer Brown

I think it shows as well how much money some of them are making that they can afford to shutdown for a month and a half when it would have been possible to be open.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,328 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

I think the government though took advice from medical people, Gardai, etc... experts.

Was there going to be an impact, on small businesses, yes, unfortunately. This is an unprecedented time in the history of this country and indeed the planet. It’s unavoidable.

I’d rather again businesses go to the wall as opposed again to people going into the graveyard. I value lives over the ability of people to make money.

We can start again , we can’t if we are fûcking six feet under.

• Registered Users Posts: 700 ✭✭✭Breezin

It’s unavoidable.

Is it? I don't think so.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,395 ✭✭✭GazzaL

I think the government though took advice from medical people, Gardai, etc... experts.

Was there going to be an impact, on small businesses, yes, unfortunately. This is an unprecedented time in the history of this country and indeed the planet. It’s unavoidable.

I’d rather again businesses go to the wall as opposed again to people going into the graveyard. I value lives over the ability of people to make money.

It's not just small businesses being affected, plenty of large ones are being hammered and will go to the wall. There'll be a lot of people end up 6 feet under when they lose their jobs and businesses and families and homes. I'd rather not destroy everyone's lives.

JoeA3 wrote: »
    100% agree.

But I must say some businesses could do more to help themselves. For instance, a couple of restaurants in my locality have adapted quickly and come up with clever ideas to do takeaway and delivery, and seem to be doing well from it. Whereas other small cafe's and restaurants just seemed to give up and sit on their hands. I know not all of them have the facility to do takeaway type services, but more of them can that are trying imo...

I guess those that are most likely to survive will be the ones that adapted to the situation best.

I know loads of pubs doing delivery of food, drink etc, our butcher is delivering, both gyms are doing online classes and one sent me some accessories even for a very meagre fee... where there is a will there is a way, not all companies are suitably able due to the nature of their work to do this but if not they have to adapt and become able. If they can’t, I’m not accepting that ‘ohh we have to keep going so we are disregarding restrictions’.. that’s not good enough, not putting up with any fûcking greedbag putting the health and welfare of my family at risk for a few bob.

They can go get their covid payments like everyone and cut their cloth to meet their measure.

I think it shows as well how much money some of them are making that they can afford to shutdown for a month and a half when it would have been possible to be open.

I doubt that very much. Just wasn't possible for many to open. Many were bullied into closing during the pre-hard lockdown mania also. The targeting and bullying of businesses I saw on social media was poisonous.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,395 ✭✭✭GazzaL

I doubt that very much. Just wasn't possible for many to open. Many were bullied into closing during the pre-hard lockdown mania also. The targeting and bullying of businesses I saw on social media was poisonous.

Some businesses had a choice. Close and lose a load of money OR Stay open without customers and lose a ****load of money.

I’m more concerned with how some all be it a tiny few companies are bullying citizens and this state and risking their health and disregarding restrictions.

Such a simplistic view. It's much more complicated than that and you know it.

GazzaL wrote: »
    Some businesses had a choice. Close and lose a load of money OR Stay open without customers and lose a ****load of money.

Seems almost laughable now, but was down my local SC today in Dunnes and had a wonder through the main mall- lots of the signs were saying see you 29th March!!!!
    I feel hugely sorry for businesses, workers and families that have been hit hard by this. We must now do all possible to support them in their re-opening efforts.

I’m more concerned with how some all be it a tiny few companies are bullying citizens and this state and risking their health and disregarding restrictions.

Which comapnies are bullying citizens exactly and how are they doing so?

Such a simplistic view. It's much more complicated than that and you know it.

It’s pretty simple, many ‘businesses people’ are unable to get to grips with not having that hard on given to them by the sound of ringing tills, and heavy balance sheets, that’s the issue. Just not used to it, it’s alien, they break out in a dirty rash.

Which comapnies are bullying citizens exactly and how are they doing so?

Unfortunately the moderators wouldn’t be overjoyed if I began naming names.

But locally a fitness store, pub (back door access) were visited, inside the pub clients were also smoking.

It’s pretty simple, many ‘businesses people’ are unable to get to grips with not having that hard on given to them by the sound of ringing tills, and heavy balance sheets, that’s the issue. Just not used to it, it’s alien, they break out in a dirty rash.

It’s incredible that ireland 2020 someone would have such an incredible lack of understanding and empathy as to how a business operates.
    The obvious contempt less so because that’s the stock and trade of the Irish left, they despise anyone attempting to do well or working hard to better themselves.
    It appears the lockdown merchants have more of an ideological bent towards their position than any genuine public health concern. As I suspected really

• Registered Users Posts: 7,298 ✭✭✭facehugger99

Anyone who frames the question, as a choice between a economically-devastating lockdown on one hand and death on the other, can safely be dismissed as a moron.

I wouldn't waste my time even trying to argue with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,520 ✭✭✭Downlinz

The same small businesses who were struggling to stay open from dwindling foot traffic due to the pandemic fears were "royally fcuked" by a government who stepped in and offered to pay their entire staff roster for 3 months to help them survive?

What the "open up" minority continue to not realise is that the majority will won't go back to non-essential shopping until they feel secure and confident in their safety. In opening up the Art & Hobby shop will have to pay it's staff again and with a fraction of the business, how long will it survive after the initial rush of Gemma and Trump supporter types have faded?

• Advertisement

Unfortunately the moderators wouldn’t be overjoyed if I began naming names.

But locally a fitness store, pub (back door access) were visited, inside the pub clients were also smoking.

Not interested in the names particularly but how are they bullying the state and public?

Downlinz wrote: »
    The same small businesses who were struggling to stay open from dwindling foot traffic due to the pandemic fears were "royally fcuked" by a government who stepped in and offered to pay their entire staff roster for 3 months to help them survive?

What the "open up" minority continue to not realise is that the majority will won't go back to non-essential shopping until they feel secure and confident in their safety. In opening up the Art & Hobby shop will have to pay it's staff again and with a fraction of the business, how long will it survive after the initial rush of Gemma and Trump supporter types have faded?

Go do whatever you feel comfortable doing. No one is forcing anyone. Cocoon forever if it suits. Just don’t guilt trip the rest of us into it for no real reason

It’s incredible that ireland 2020 someone would have such an incredible lack of understanding and empathy as to how a business operates.
    The obvious contempt less so because that’s the stock and trade of the Irish left, they despise anyone attempting to do well or working hard to better themselves.
    It appears the lockdown merchants have more of an ideological bent towards their position than any genuine public health concern. As I suspected really
    The lack of understanding is all your, you get the gold plated statue and two weeks in Tramore as your prize.

I’d rather businesses showed more empathy towards how the safety of the state and its people can and will be achieved... knowing that unfortunately they will get an almighty kicking. Personally when all this is over I’ll take a great amount of joy in getting out there, supporting the local businesses who supported us by doing the right thing. Spending, thanking and it won’t be forgotten.

• Registered Users Posts: 700 ✭✭✭Breezin

I think you'll find the right in some parts of Europe are more than happy with lockdowns and the new powers they can give themselves as a result.

It's a pity you have to make it ideological. The lockdown is anti-business, but it's also anti-society.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,520 ✭✭✭Downlinz

Go do whatever you feel comfortable doing. No one is forcing anyone. Cocoon forever if it suits. Just don’t guilt trip the rest of us into it for no real reason

It's not about me, it's about most kinds of retail business not being viable when the majority of people aren't browsing high streets or engaging in leisure shopping.

What you're asking for is our small businesses to be thrown to the wolves to placate your feelings of inconvenience and impatience which is a very reckless and harmful approach economically.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,809 ✭✭✭Mr Velo

No reason why barbers can't be opened too,strictly appointment only with limited opening hours,depending on the size of the shop only 2 barbers and 2 customers allowed in at any time,barber wears a mask and gloves,each haircut done in under 15 minutes.

You haven't been to a busy barbers in a while have you? All of these pampered folk getting their fades done and beards trimmed. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,892 ✭✭✭the kelt

Downlinz wrote: »
    It's not about me, it's about most kinds of retail business not being viable when the majority of people aren't browsing high streets or engaging in leisure shopping.

What you're asking for is our small businesses to be thrown to the wolves to placate your feelings of inconvenience and impatience which is a very reckless and harmful approach economically.

But no business is going to be forced to open surely? Is that not the point?

If restrictions are eased and a business feels it still doesnt make sense for them to open because the footfall wont be there then surely they wont?

I think its best to listen to the experts on this, when lock down was brought in it was accepted by many in favour of the restrictions that the lockdown be extended, that extension was confirmed by experts as the right thing to do.

So if said same experts feel in 2 weeks its best to ease those restrictions surely we listen to them again?

The lack of understanding is all your, you get the gold plated statue and two weeks in Tramore as your prize.

I’d rather businesses showed more empathy towards how the safety of the state and its people can and will be achieved... knowing that unfortunately they will get an almighty kicking. Personally when all this is over I’ll take a great amount of joy in getting out there, supporting the local businesses who supported us by doing the right thing. Spending, thanking and it won’t be forgotten.

Let us know if you find one that hasn't gone to the wall.

Let us know if you find one that hasn't gone to the wall.

I won’t be bothering to find out. Again my priority is people, living over businesses not surviving... those who want to be screaming the walls down about businesses failing to enable minimum casualties , have at it, I won’t be caring.

• Advertisement

Out and about a little more today. Though within my 2km. A lot of people in my local park and the roads around full of parked cars. The most I’ve seen yet, and I imagine there’ll be more tomorrow

BUT

Though there are people everywhere, they are all social distancing. Families, couples, singles.....it’s really obvious that people are paying attention. Makes me think that, as a first step, we should be able to go back to how we were in those weeks before the stricter lockdown without too much impact. And go from there

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement