Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Relaxation of restrictions Part II

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,000 ✭✭✭skallywag

I really think that the 2km thing was introduced to force people to take it more seriously, and is very unfair on the vast majority who were anyway taking it serious and not flocking to public spots etc.

If that alone was lifted on May 5th I think it would be a massive relief.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭begbysback

skallywag wrote: »
    I really think that the 2km thing was introduced to force people to take it more seriously, and is very unfair on the vast majority who were anyway taking it serious and not flocking to public spots etc.

This needs to be the least that’s relaxed, also the over 70’s, it should be their own decision whether to “cocoon” or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 647 ✭✭✭eddie73

There is no perfect science to government restrictions.

They are too hard or not hard enough, rarely is the balance to everyone's liking.

I think that the people who say they are not hard enough have no other plan rather than quarantine. This will not last much longer as the country will utterly collapse.

Those who say the restrictions are too hard are usually those who have little or no social conscience in terms of thinking about the bigger picture beyond how they are being inconviened.

The middle ground would involve the cooperation of the entire population, not just some.
    It would allow for more movement and ability to go places that aren't crowded, but would involve a lot of discretion on the behalf of the public. Could a person be trusted to turn up at a beach and decide the car park was too crowded and go somewhere else? Or just go home that day? I would argue that about 50% of the population have this conscience.

Ultimately, this conscience is going to have to be found, as we are going back out to work soon.
    There is already a strategy in France to social distance in the workplace when this happens. I hope it catches on here.

We all have to use our common sense. We should walk or cycle to places rather than take public transport if at all possible.
    Cars should be occupied by household members only.
    This would take a lot of the stress off numbers in public transport.

I think many of us have to get sick, but we should try and do it in as controlled a manor as possible, staggering the numbers in a best worst case way possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 700 ✭✭✭Breezin

skallywag wrote: »

So right. It's a collective punishment (see previous on right-wing regimes) meted out to everyone, justified by the behaviour of a very small minority. It should be stopped asap.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,023 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

Out and about a little more today. Though within my 2km. A lot of people in my local park and the roads around full of parked cars. The most I’ve seen yet, and I imagine there’ll be more tomorrow

BUT

Though there are people everywhere, they are all social distancing. Families, couples, singles.....it’s really obvious that people are paying attention. Makes me think that, as a first step, we should be able to go back to how we were in those weeks before the stricter lockdown without too much impact. And go from there

Good to read a sensible post on here.

• Advertisement

eddie73 wrote: »
    Those who say the restrictions are too hard are usually those who have little or no social conscience in terms of thinking about the bigger picture beyond how they are being inconviened.

You make a claim to common sense, but that is utter nonsense. Have you read none of the perfectly rational arguments in this thread supporting the easing of restrictions?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,179 ✭✭✭✭fr336

road_high wrote: »
    It’s incredible that ireland 2020 someone would have such an incredible lack of understanding and empathy as to how a business operates.
    The obvious contempt less so because that’s the stock and trade of the Irish left, they despise anyone attempting to do well or working hard to better themselves.
    It appears the lockdown merchants have more of an ideological bent towards their position than any genuine public health concern. As I suspected really

If that was the case, then your argument is simply the other side of the same coin. Profit at all cost. Not sure people will be able to better themselves if they're either dead, many of their family and friends are dead, or a lot of their customer base are dead. The release the lockdown clowns seem to fail to realise the economic repurcussions if Covid had a proper crack at the population and health system without drastic measures in place for a short time. These will inevitably be the same people who didn't want a lockdown in the first place as it's "just the flu". Such voices led to approaching 20k dead in the U.K. in just 5 weeks.

Breezin wrote: »
    You make a claim to common sense, but that is utter nonsense. Have you read none of the perfectly rational arguments in this thread supporting the easing of restrictions?

ok I said ''usually those''.

I should have said ''many of those''
    I also should say that ''in my experience to date''.

I have read some of the arguments in favour of lifting restrictions on here.

I would also say that I agree with lifting restrictions. It is like keeping the tide out with a fork otherwise.

My main point is that people have got to cooperate with the guidelines and mandates for the numbers to be controlled in a meaningful way. I disagree with anyone who's aim it would be to get the numbers to zero thinking that we are good to go back. to normal again this year.

Unfortunately we have to go through a lot of sickness and that is just the way it is.

I would also say that I agree with lifting restrictions. It is like keeping the tide out with a fork otherwise.

My main point is that people have got to cooperate with the guidelines and mandates for the numbers to be controlled in a meaningful way. I disagree with anyone who's aim it would be to get the numbers to zero thinking that we are good to go back. to normal again this year.

Unfortunately we have to go through a lot of sickness and that is just the way it is.

Fair enough. Not many, other than the US-style libertarian loopers, are advocating an immediate return to normal.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,289 ✭✭✭alwald

I think many of us have to get sick, but we should try and do it in as controlled a manor as possible, staggering the numbers in a best worst case way possible.

I completely disagree with this statement and I wouldn't encourage the idea that many of us have to get sick. We should try to avoid any disease/virus not the other way around.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,659 ✭✭✭rovers_runner

Driving home there from work it was noticeable how relaxed it has become.
    The lockdown is over folks, good effort while it lasted.
    The floodgates will open this weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,328 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Yes I’d rather try keep the tide out with a fork or indeed anything available rather than this businessman mantra of “yep, be terrible, but sure isn’t that the way NEXT ! “

We WILL have a lot of sickness but minimizing the casualties is the way forward. If in turn that minimizes profits for businesses I can live with that as it keeps people living.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,395 ✭✭✭GazzaL

There are lots more people out walking with friends and neighbours, lots more people working, lots more people just out and about in general. I'd say (I hope) the latest snippets from the Government are just to be seen to be saying the right things, but they know we need to get the country back up and running.

• Registered Users Posts: 620 ✭✭✭aidoh

What makes you think a disaster is looming Rovers? Were people crawling on top of each other dribbling snots all over the place?

Or did you simply happen to see people out strolling and enjoying the bright evening?

I've been seeing people out every day since the restrictions came into place but I've yet to see anyone not observing physical distancing. Those who are close to each other are presumably from the same household.

How many times does this point have to be argued over in this bleeding thread!?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,258 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

Not sure what part of the country your in, road stats are easily checked on TII website and for the major road networks they're no busier than the last few weeks.

Anyone in my area who's out walking that I've seen is within a family group and adhering to social distancing.

Even if more people are out if they're within their family group and social distancing what's the issue

• Registered Users Posts: 7,441 ✭✭✭JoeA3

We have glorious weather. After 6 months of endless rain. Of course people are out. The fresh air and warm weather does wonders for your mental health and well being. Some people here should try it, you might enjoy it.

• Registered Users Posts: 86,256 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

road_high wrote: »
    DIY stores not happy- dead right too to speak up for themselves-
    https://twitter.com/shanebeattynews/status/1252703395015778311?s=21

Garden Centres and Hardware DIY stores are open

alwald wrote: »
    I completely disagree with this statement and I wouldn't encourage the idea that many of us have to get sick. We should try to avoid any disease/virus not the other way around.

Totally, that’s the most ridiculous and downright greedy thing I’ve seen.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,010 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

Not sure what part of the country your in, road stats are easily checked on TII website and for the major road networks they're no busier than the last few weeks

Irish Times: “Traffic numbers on the State’s main roads rise almost 8%”

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/ireland/irish-news/traffic-numbers-on-the-state-s-main-roads-rise-almost-8-1.4235228

• Advertisement

JoeA3 wrote: »
    We have glorious weather. After 6 months of endless rain. Of course people are out. The fresh air and warm weather does wonders for your mental health and well being. Some people here should try it, you might enjoy it.

Totally, no harm in it at all, it’s positive once everyone keeps sensible and to the regs.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,812 ✭✭✭thelad95

JP Liz V1 wrote: »

They are not, some doing delivery online but stores aren't open to public walk ins.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,659 ✭✭✭rovers_runner

aidoh wrote: »
    What makes you think a disaster is looming Rovers? Were people crawling on top of each other dribbling snots all over the place?

Or did you simply happen to see people out strolling and enjoying the bright evening?

I've been seeing people out every day since the restrictions came into place but I've yet to see anyone not observing physical distancing. Those who are close to each other are presumably from the same household.

How many times does this point have to be argued over in this bleeding thread!?

Never said it was a disaster. I welcome it.
    Just that the powers that be will have to admit its over come the weekend.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,431 ✭✭✭Stateofyou

JP Liz V1 wrote: »

News to me, though some garden centres I'm aware are delivering.

God I hate that phrase "it's just the way it is". It's why the progress of humanity is so much slower than it has to be. The scientists, economists and even some politicians of the world held back by the short termism and lazy intellectualism of the majority. I can't see how just going straight back to the way things were is a strategy. There needs to be innovative thinking on every level to stop spread. Western countries could start with having basic PPE to keep their populations safe, which is supposedly the number 1 task of the state.

JoeA3 wrote: »

Do it every day myself. Lovely sunny walks. Doesn't mean I want people crammed into offices and public transport again during the week and crammed into shopping centres at the weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,198 ✭✭✭I am me123

So given the information Leo Varadkar announced on Prime Time, is there a chance that restrictions will change (I'm not going to use 'be relaxed' because I don't know for sure).

So do y'all think that the lockdown will continue after May 5th or will it just be more restrictions?

• Registered Users Posts: 86,256 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Coop Stores are open

• Closed Accounts Posts: 667 ✭✭✭Balf

fr336 wrote: »
    The scientists, economists and even some politicians of the world held back by the short termism and lazy intellectualism of the majority.
    The short termism is inflicting long term damage on the whole population, to avoid a short term healthcare problem.

And the lazy intellectualism of the majority supports that approach, thus far.

• Advertisement

Strumms wrote: »
    Yes I’d rather try keep the tide out with a fork or indeed anything available rather than this businessman mantra of “yep, be terrible, but sure isn’t that the way NEXT ! “

We WILL have a lot of sickness but minimizing the casualties is the way forward. If in turn that minimizes profits for businesses I can live with that as it keeps people living.

I thought these self confessed wealth creators and business geniuses would have no problem adjusting to the new normal? Clearly not, they can only cope in a low regulation short termist chaotic business environment!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement