Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Relaxation of restrictions Part II

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,436 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

You have a chip on shoulder about successful people reading your post. If people educated themselves and worked hard to go to France so be it. Those people working hard enough to do those things pay enough taxes to keep 10 guys on the dole supplied with fags and booze.

chip on your shoulder, you say?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 268 ✭✭Spencer Brown

Jesus this thread has become vicious today. Calm down people.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,987 ✭✭✭normanoffside

BanditLuke wrote: »
    It's the same posters time and again with the same old yarn. Some of them are losing the plot with our soft lockdown and having to spend time away from work and with their families.

You think everyone is with their families?

Some of us can't get to see our families.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,407 ✭✭✭✭road_high

BanditLuke wrote: »
    It's the same posters time and again with the same old yarn. Some of them are losing the plot with our soft lockdown and having to spend time away from work and with their families.

They don't care about what sacrifices our elders made for us in forming our country and keeping us afloat in times of peril. They had no skiing holiday, no shopping trips to NY, two weeks in the south of France, two cars (most barely had a car at all), great healthcare etc..and now when our elderly need us the most it's fvuk them.

As you say Maggie worshippers.

You sound very bitter. You’re trying to use the elderly as weapons against the system as you see it. Thing is if you’d care to listen to them , many elderly people are sick to the teeth of this and want life to resume if not for themselves, others.
    Older people have seen it all and are a lot more pragmatic than they are given credit for.
    Maybe take a walking break outside tomorrow from the lockdown.
    As said time and again here- the elderly and most vulnerable can continue to cocoon as they say fit. There are numerous ways they can have essentials delivered and people look after them without direct contact.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,537 ✭✭✭ldy4mxonucwsq6

MD1990 wrote: »
    I agree.

People could genuinely struggle for food if the economy is stopped until a vaccine

There might never be a vaccine, we have to go back to living some sort of normality before the country is financially and mentally destroyed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,179 ✭✭✭✭fr336

You have a chip on shoulder about successful people reading your post. If people educated themselves and worked hard to go to France so be it. Those people working hard enough to do those things pay enough taxes to keep 10 guys on the dole supplied with fags and booze.

I think most people can afford to go to France.

There might never be a vaccine, we have to go back to living some sort of normality before the country is financially and mentally destroyed.

3 and a half weeks....school summer holidays last longer. I could understand people getting restless after 6-8 weeks.

road_high wrote: »
    As said time and again here- the elderly and most vulnerable can continue to cocoon as they say fit. There are numerous ways they can have essentials delivered and people look after them without direct contact.

A lot of older people (65+) live with younger relatives who are going out working (as you want them to) and perhaps using public transport etc. Same with vunerable people of all ages - there are a lot of people with ashtma and diabetes etc out there. You maybe even know some. Most people including the most vunerable are still finding it very difficult to get a home shopping delivery. You are discarding thousands perhaps even millions of the population without a second thought. $$$

• Registered Users Posts: 8,379 ✭✭✭FintanMcluskey

fr336 wrote: »
    3 and a half weeks....school summer holidays last longer. I could understand people getting restless after 6-8 weeks.

Are you ok, 2 posts in a row have made no sense?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,987 ✭✭✭normanoffside

A lot of older people (65+) live with younger relatives who are going out working (as you want them to) and perhaps using public transport etc. Same with vunerable people of all ages - there are a lot of people with ashtma and diabetes etc out there. You maybe even know some. Most people including the most vunerable are still finding it very difficult to get a home shopping delivery. You are discarding thousands perhaps even millions of the population without a second thought. $$$

Well those people (both the older vulnerable ones and the younger ones who live with them) need to continue to be careful don't they?
    We should all know by now how to minimise risks and stop spread the virus.

• Advertisement

Your arrogance towards the younger generation is typical of the argument of relentless lockdown. Its twisted to expect them to spend their lives paying for poor decisions made now

Were you this concerned for the future of the young during the financial crisis? Were you a vocal opponent of bailing out the banks?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,953 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

The narrative appears to be changing. Oh look, unfortunately most deaths and infections are in care settings, median age is 80, let's get on with our lives so, it's not a problem for me.

What about relatives, parents and vulnerable younger (or older) people still living in the community?

Eugenics and a totally invincible take on all this. But there we are. If it doesn't affect you personally why care. But many people still do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,807 ✭✭✭Jurgen Klopp

Harris in his nightly Twitter video saying that Ireland needs to suppress the virus as much as possible and that its possible there might not be a vaccine or one for a while so we need to get back to a level of normality while living alongside the virus for want of a better phase.

It's a bit of a change in tone from his interviews last weekend.

Because like every man and his dog knew from day 1 they know realize there would come a point where the economy and tax take would drop so much, even with borrowing the social welfare and healthcare would collapse from lack of funds

So you get mass unemployment without any supports starving, rioting etc meaning all efforts to date go out the window and to top it off hospitals would be reduced to giving you a bed and a cold cloth for your brow given medicine and equipment rationing

Well those people (both the older vulnerable ones and the younger ones who live with them) need to continue to be careful don't they?
    We should all know by now how to minimise risks and stop spread the virus.

Too right Norman, let's get the show back on the road after 3 and a half weeks. If there's an explosion in cases of cases in all age groups, which the lockdown was implemented to protect not just the vunerable, so be it. You'll just have to be extra careful eh.

There isn't an end in sight though, that's what makes people nervous and scared.

Come 5th of May there's nothing to say we won't see even harsher restrictions.

The 5000+ events/gatherings news was to make sure to let us know that normal life isn't going to be here any time soon.

Some people are holding out for the promise of a vaccine too, they should know that there has never been a successful vaccine against any of the coronaviruses and that there is no guarantee we will ever have one.

Shutting down schools nationwide indefinitely when there is no strong and clear evidence that it was necessary. I think there will be wider repercussions from that too.

I have followed the guidelines strictly and have more or less locked down since the schools closed (which was done 6 weeks ago tomorrow) but I'm feeling like I'm hitting a wall now to be honest.

It makes it harder when it seems like a lot of people where I am are carrying on as normal. Maybe tomorrow will be better but I woke up today feeling quite angry with the situation and worried for children's future.

I had followed this since early days in China and day by day had a sense of disbelief at what's unfolded across the world. But now its just normal, accepted, it's just the way things are.

The narrative appears to be changing. Oh look, unfortunately most deaths and infections are in care settings, median age is 80, let's get on with our lives so, it's not a problem for me.

What about relatives, parents and vulnerable younger (or older) people still living in the community?

Eugenics and a totally invincible take on all this. But there we are. If it doesn't affect you personally why care. But many people still do.

Of course its changing, people have realised not one action taken outside a care home will effect those in it.
    Have you any idea whats comming in the future?
    Its not eugenics its old people reaching the end of their lifespans. The economy will protect them better than leaving bob the builder at home ever will

What makes you think it will be completely stable overall this year? What evidence do you have for that statement?
    The total deaths from nursing home residents are now 60% of total and as a % that figure is rising every day. It indicates that every day a higher % of deaths are coming from these clusters
    I'm sure the deaths will average out over the next 20 years, but you don't see there being a spike this year at all?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,400 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Too right Norman, let's get the show back on the road after 3 and a half weeks. If there's an explosion in cases of cases in all age groups, which the lockdown was implemented to protect not just the vunerable, so be it. You'll just have to be extra careful eh.

Like what's happening in Sweden eh? There has to be a middle ground here that protects the most vulnerable and let's the rest go back to work.The current situation is not sustainable.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

And the only reason it's apparently restricted to care settings at the moment is because of the bloomin' lockdown! Honestly how bad are people's memories? Pre lockdown there were cases coming out from many countries including the UK of fit and healthy young people ending up in intensive care with this. The lockdown is working. The same people calling for it to be lifted too soon (I mean too soon as in May) are exactly the types who called it "just the flu", "only affects the old" (so anyone older 60) etc at the start. Why would anyone listen to these fools?

And the only reason it's apparently restricted to care settings at the moment is because of the bloomin' lockdown! Honestly how bad are people's memories? Pre lockdown there were cases coming out from many countries including the UK of fit and healthy young people ending up in intensive care with this. The lockdown is working. The same people calling for it to be lifted too soon (I mean too soon as in May) are exactly the types who called it "just the flu", "only affects the old" (so anyone older 60) etc at the start. Why would anyone listen to these fools?

Fit and healthy people end up in ICU regularly with respiratory illness. No more outside. Lockdown for life it is

• Advertisement

I'm sure the deaths will average out over the next 20 years, but you don't see there being a spike this year at all?

Deaths have averaged over 2020 so far. Nothing unusual. The height of this in the UK was only a 20 year peak. Didnt see any social media heros in 2000. We had more important things to worry about in 2000 like William Gates Y2k bug

Its not eugenics its old people reaching the end of their lifespans.

Everyone over 60? 65? 70? That's a lot of people. A lot of lost customers for your precious economy. Sure we lose and replace them every year, but not that many as could potentially happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,110 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

How are Weddings fixed once hotels begin to reopen?

Fit and healthy people end up in ICU regularly with respiratory illness. No more outside. Lockdown for life it is

Not lockdown for life. Potentially a number of weeks in the year 2020. A year has 52 weeks. Two years has 104 weeks. How many weeks will you see in a lifetime? If a few weeks (even 3 or 4 months) in the year 2020 saved you from a once in a lifetime pandemic and you could have many many many many years after it, will you be grateful or not? But then it won't affect you, Fintan...;)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭Icyseanfitz

There isn't an end in sight though, that's what makes people nervous and scared.

Come 5th of May there's nothing to say we won't see even harsher restrictions.

The 5000+ events/gatherings news was to make sure to let us know that normal life isn't going to be here any time soon.

Some people are holding out for the promise of a vaccine too, they should know that there has never been a successful vaccine against any of the coronaviruses and that there is no guarantee we will ever have one.

Shutting down schools nationwide indefinitely when there is no strong and clear evidence that it was necessary. I think there will be wider repercussions from that too.

I have followed the guidelines strictly and have more or less locked down since the schools closed (which was done 6 weeks ago tomorrow) but I'm feeling like I'm hitting a wall now to be honest.

It makes it harder when it seems like a lot of people where I am are carrying on as normal. Maybe tomorrow will be better but I woke up today feeling quite angry with the situation and worried for children's future.

I had followed this since early days in China and day by day had a sense of disbelief at what's unfolded across the world. But now its just normal, accepted, it's just the way things are.

so you believe schools should just have just been left open, a place where social distancing cant be kept at all, and are a well known and agreed upon place of breading/spreading ground for viruses?

Everyone over 60? 65? 70? That's a lot of people. A lot of lost customers for your precious economy. Sure we lose and replace them every year, but not that many as could potentially happen.

Im dont follow you point?

Everyone over 60? 65? 70? That's a lot of people. A lot of lost customers for your precious economy.

a lot less pensions to be paid

The height of this in the UK was only a 20 year peak. Didnt see any

I'm sorry but how do you have the full death rates for 2020 for the UK yet? We are only in April.

Gael23 wrote: »
    How are Weddings fixed once hotels begin to reopen?

Unlikely to be reopening any time soon, those that can manage to eventually reopen that is...

We've been given a heads up with the announcement of summer gatherings being cancelled.

Gets us mentally prepared for the fact that not much will be back to normal any time soon.

• Advertisement

a lot less pensions to be paid

True, a silver lining for the anti lockdown brigade.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement