Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Newbie to vinyl: Question about replacement stylus and sleeve covers

• 22-04-2020 9:46am
    Registered Users Posts: 7,695 ✭✭✭

Hi all, I've only recently got back into active listening of music. Over the last 10 years or so I drifted away from listening to my CDs and became a lot more passive regarding music, relying on Spotify etc. I decided to buy a Victrola 6 in 1 as I wanted to listen to all my old CDs (and the few cassettes I have) again, but also get into vinyl for the first time:

https://www.harveynorman.ie/tvs-headphones/audio/record-players/victrola-empire-6-in-1-bluetooth-record-player-espresso.html

I'm currently living with my girlfriend in a very small one bed apartment, so a compact all in one player suits my needs at this time, as I don't have any space for separate players for CD and vinyl, separate speakers etc at the moment. I'm enjoying it a lot at the moment.

However, according to the manual, the stylus (ITNP LC1) only lasts for 50 hours. I've probably used it for 20 hours so far, and would like to have some replacements. However, I can't find this exact type available online (other than in North American online stores).

Would any type of replacement stylus fit my player or does each player have it's own specific stylus that must be used with it?

50 hours seems like not a lot. If the answer to the above is yes, then would you recommend a stylus that would fit with this player which would last much longer than 50 hours?

With no physical stores open, I'm stuck with online, and with me being a complete vinyl novice, the information out there is a complete minefield and is quite overwhelming.

I'm not an audiophile by any means. I just want something that will play my records nicely and not destroy them. I'm suspect about buying anything over the internet when it comes to stuff like this.

I'm reading stuff about tracking force, but I don't really understand it. What does this mean exactly? What's the tracking force on my player? Do I need a specific stylus with this same tracking force?

Also, one of my recently bought records has a terrible paper inner sleeve. Can you recommend a good paper sleeve with an inner poly protective lining that I can buy online?

Finally, I'd like to get some plastic covers to protect the outer sleeve/ artwork. Can you recommend good ones? All my vinyls currently are single vinyls, but some have thicker covers where they open out like a book if that makes sense.

Many thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭noby

50 hours seems ridiculously short. I often see 1000 hours quoted - i usually only change mine after I stupidly break it.

Advertisement