Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Micro SD card for Samsung A5 (2017)

• 22-04-2020 10:47am
    Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭

I bought a San Disk 128gb micro sd card for my 2017 Samsung A5 mobile phone. I want to store photos and videos on it as I need more storage on my phone. I want to transfer my existing photos and videos on to the sd card but can't do it. If I take a new photo it goes onto the card. I have watched videos on YouTube but still can't figure it out. The phone acknowledges the sd card, I have mount/ unmounted it but there is no option to format it. How do I format it but more importantly how do i transfer the existing photos and videos on to the card . TIA

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,531 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

In Gallery, there doesn't appear to be an option to move an entire album to the SD card, you have to copy a block of photos from one album (in internal storage) to an album you created on the SD Card.

Create a new album or albums on the SD card.

What you need to do then is to go into the albums with photos that you want to move. If you want to move all of the photos, tap the empty circle in the top left corner labelled 'All', that will select all of the photos. Or (one by one), tap the individual photos you want to move. Then hit the three vertical dots up in the top right, select 'move to album' and pick an album that's on the SD card.

Note that albums on the SD card are not backed up to the Samsung cloud.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,292 ✭✭✭TheBoyConor

You don't need to format it. You don't need to. It is already formatted. It is not a 5.25" floppy disk ffs.

Go into your file manager and then just select all the picture files/folders and then move them across to your card. Don't do it in the convoluted and awkward way Gallery would have you do it.

Then set your camera app up so that it saves new pics to the card and not your internal storage.

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭firiesclose

Thanks for both replies. I was inquiring about formatting as it was on YouTube to format it. I'm not very good at technology. I managed to copy my photos onto the sd card but they are now duplicated on my phone and sd card. Is it safe to delete them off my phone now ? Also what else can be saved onto the sd card to free up space? Can I save apps like Netflix, Spotify, Aer Lingus etc ? TIA

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,531 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

You appear to have discovered the difference between copy (keep the original) and move (copy, then delete the original). I told you above to use move.

You said in your first post that the camera was now putting new photos on the SD card so it’s already formatted.

Before attempting to move apps to the SD card, do a cleanup by going to Settings, Device Care and (when it appears), tap the ‘Optimize now’ button.

Some apps can be moved to the card, you need to go to settings, tap on apps, tap the three dots in the upper right and sort by size. This is because you don’t want to waste time moving small apps.

Now from the top down, tap each app and in the app attributes, tap on ‘storage’. Now you will see if the app can be moved. When you tap an app and tap on storage, you will see an option for some apps to move it from internal to the SD card. Where the app allows you to move it, within the storage option you will see a button ‘Change’ near the top of the screen, this allows you to move the app to the SD card. In case the first few apps don’t offer the option, manually scroll to Netflix and you’ll see the option to move it.

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭firiesclose

Thank you. I have successfully transferred Netflix and messenger onto the sd card. They were the only two that I was allowed to transfer. I was surprised I could not transfer Spotify. Thanks again

• Advertisement
Advertisement