Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Mould behind shower sealant

• 22-04-2020 11:56am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,885 ✭✭✭

Hey folks,
    quick one for you. We got our bathroom refurbished last year and are really happy with it. fully tanked etc, and just to finish it off they ran clear Tec7 around the base of the shower. There now seems to be mould build up behind that. Presume i should remove the existing silicone, clean and reapply?
    Thanks,
    Rob

Comments

I had similar issue. I think they missed a bit when they were installing the silicone and water got trapped behind it. Could be wrong of course.

But I peeled off the old silicone (used a stanley knife to cut into it, and then peeled off by hand as best I could, with some WD40 and babywipes to try get the difficult and stubborn parts off).

Let it dry for a day, as I wasn't under pressure, and re-applied the silicone. Embarrassingly, I missed a bit and the tray started leaking at enclosure under the sliding door, so I gave the place a good cleaning and topped up the silicone again. Haven't had an issue since.. that was about 2-3 months ago, so still relatively fresh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,934 ✭✭✭chooseusername

A common mistake made is to seal the inside of the shower frame,
    where it meets the wall or the shower tray.
    The shower frame is designed to allow water to escape ,
    and should only be sealed on the outside.
    I don't know if this is the issue here ,
    when you said the base of the shower
    is it where the tray meets the floor, or the frame meets the tray?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 460 ✭✭com1

Have the same issue myself. I just remove the silicon scrub out the mould let it dry and re apply. Do it every year or so. Dont bother with tec7 as its a pain to remove (too good :-)) and it only needs to last a year. One thing I find invaluable though is a silicon finishing kit - has a tool for removing old silicon and a finishing tool (with different diameters) which gives a very satisfying clean finish to the silicon.

Start to finish only takes about an hour but with a break in the middle to let the cleaned surface dry.

Link you silicon finishing kit for eg

https://www.handyhardware.ie/Faithfull-Slicone-Scraper-Kit-Two-Piece_p_57017.html?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIrLu0zvr96AIVw7TtCh0COgIwEAQYASABEgKBBvD_BwE

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,885 ✭✭✭budhabob

A common mistake made is to seal the inside of the shower frame,
    where it meets the wall or the shower tray.
    The shower frame is designed to allow water to escape ,
    and should only be sealed on the outside.
    I don't know if this is the issue here ,
    when you said the base of the shower
    is it where the tray meets the floor, or the frame meets the tray?

It's where the tray meets the tilesm

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,164 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

budhabob wrote: »
    It's where the tray meets the tilesm

You should never need to seal between the outside of the tile & the shower tray. The wall should be tanked & they then use classi seal. The only place for water to escape& run back into the tray, is between the tile & the tray. Not only is there no need to seal here but it's the wrong thing to do as it traps water behind the silicone.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,885 ✭✭✭budhabob

Ya.....I think it might have been our suggestion to be fair to him.
    Will remove clean and review.

Advertisement