Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Philosophy for Men

• 22-04-2020 12:20pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 119 ✭✭

I recently fell in love with philosophy. Sometimes I want to cry that there is not enough hours in the day that I can read/listen to the stuff. Overall, just blown away...

I feel that some of the philosophers I engaged with really changed my outlook as a man, challenged me to become better. A few honorable mentions:

Plato - The Crito - a portrayal of a beautiful soul
    Aristotle - The Nicomachean Ethics - a man's happiness is found in a virtuous life
    Augustine of Hippo - The Confessions - the slavery of desire, what is memory
    Thomas Aquinas - his metaphysics and ethics! (within the Summa Theologica)
    Seneca - the stoic and tranquil life

A few philosophers I found hard to stomach:

Camus - life is hopeless, lets all be hedonists!
    Simone de Beauvioir - where do I even start (just awful)
    Nietzsche - forget morality, pursue power
    Kierkegaard - Mr. 'commit yourself to the unknown'
    Mill - a morality fit for beasts

I think a good, wholesome philosophy should play a major part in a man's life, things become so much clearer and interesting. Any other philosophers who deserve to be mentioned?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,835 ✭✭✭Patsy167

I've been listening to a lot of podcasts with Aalain de Botton recently and really like his perspective.

Jordan Peterson on Joe Rogan was excellent also

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭UI_Paddy

I used to listen to Elliott Hulse, but he's gone downhill in his more recent videos.

I'm also not the biggest fan of Theodor Adorno but I would recommend his chapter on 'Free Time', it still feels elitist in parts but he makes good points about the need to make our activities outside of work meaningful.

• Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭lozenges

Marcus Aurelius' Meditations. Another Stoic philosopher. Haven't finished it yet but it's excellent. Would recommend everyone to read it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 137 ✭✭5555555555

lozenges wrote: »
    Marcus Aurelius' Meditations. Another Stoic philosopher. Haven't finished it yet but it's excellent. Would recommend everyone to read it.

Yes , Stoicism is great.

Advertisement