Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Horse Tail

Options
  • 22-04-2020 12:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 852 ✭✭✭

I sprayed the HORSE TAIL with GRAZON twice last year & it all died but is back again now. Is it possible to get rid of it totally. I used a good strong solution. Is GRAZON the best for it. Thanks for any help.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 31,071 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Are you sure it's horse tail and not mare's tail?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,567 ✭✭✭kerryjack

Its quare stuff that, I would love to know how to get rid of it I know 150mm concrete slab can keep it down but you can't concrete everything, it won't grow in a lawn either, must all the cutting.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,486 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

Lumen wrote: »
    Are you sure it's horse tail and not mare's tail?
    mare's tail is a semi-aquatic plant, no?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭standardg60

Mare's tail/ Horse tail I imagine we all know what he/she is talking about.
    Op do a search on here, it's been discussed a few times!

Mare's tail/ Horse tail I imagine we all know what he/she is talking about.

But they're different plants.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,429 ✭✭✭✭looksee

there is an aquatic plant called Mares Tail - Hippuris vulgaris. Common Horsetail is Equisetum arvense and is the pestifierous plant in the garden. Having said that I always refer to Horse Tail as Mares Tail and I doubt I will stop now. How to get rid of it is another matter.

Anyway, since both are often close to water, wtf would you be doing spraying Grazon 90? It has long lasting toxic effects on aquatic life.

Plus it's an agricultural chemical, not for gardening.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭GinSoaked

Grazon (Triclopyr) is about the best herbicide for most Aquesitum spp that I have used, my guess is you have Field Horse Tail Aquesitum arvense which is the one I have and have had in other gardens. tbh I've never ever managed to totally get rid of it.

I've just sprayed off a new bed in the lawn and no sooner had the grass died then Horse Tail started poking up. That area has been cut regularly with a mower for the last 15 years (was a field before that).

Grazon is good early in the year as it knocks the Horse Tail back for a good long time, anything coming up later in the year I'd hit with glyphosate of some form (Roundup).

Rince repeat for the next 10-20 years or move :D

• Registered Users Posts: 862 ✭✭✭SnowyMuckish

I don’t think there’s such thing as getting rid of horsetail. ( I don’t know the different names but ive come across two.One that shoots up asparagus like stems that produce seeds and the actual plant after and another that doesn’t have the ‘asparagus’ just the actual plant. ) It’s virtually impossible to get rid of them with their root system. My late father used to tell me that it has survived from the age of dinosaurs and even after volcanic eruptions it was the only thing to regrow. I’ve learned to live with it by planting ground cover plants that smother it out. Apparently it makes great fertilizer but I’ve never tried it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,442 ✭✭✭macraignil

Horse tails used to grow a lot in my parents garden. It has heavy clay soil and they like the damp. I put in drains to help improve the soil added loads of organic material in the form of horse manure and planted some fruit trees, lots of fruit bushes like black currants, thorn-less blackberry, gooseberry and raspberry and strong growing herbs like lemon balm and oregano and I would find it hard to find any horse tails there now. When I did find them before the fruit bushes etc. got properly established I just used a trowel to follow the root back as far as I could and left what I dug out to dry out on the surface and provide a mulch and eventually compost to help the other more useful plants to grow.

• Advertisement
Advertisement