Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Advice needed

• 22-04-2020 3:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,179 ✭✭✭

Our cav King Charles is 11.5 years. She was diagnosed with a hear murmur years ago and is on tablets for the last 3 years. She is now getting worse. She is retaining fluid so she is on diuretics but they don't seem to be doing much for her. She also has had 3 injection a to help with the fluid. She spends all day lying down and then sitting up cos she can't seem to get comfort. She eats and goes to the toilet fine but she is worn out from lack of sleep as an I. Is it time to make the dreaded call. I know it's hard to tell anyone but I don't know if I can make that decision.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,054 ✭✭✭✭tk123

Our cav King Charles is 11.5 years. She was diagnosed with a hear murmur years ago and is on tablets for the last 3 years. She is now getting worse. She is retaining fluid so she is on diuretics but they don't seem to be doing much for her. She also has had 3 injection a to help with the fluid. She spends all day lying down and then sitting up cos she can't seem to get comfort. She eats and goes to the toilet fine but she is worn out from lack of sleep as an I. Is it time to make the dreaded call. I know it's hard to tell anyone but I don't know if I can make that decision.

:( Oh no - I'm sorry to hear about your poor dog.

I think once you're asking yourself you know it's time. I had to let my 6 year old go at Christmas due to kidney failure. I had decided I wasn't going to let her get to the stage where she was miserable/weak and had set a date .. unfortunately she went downhill overnight Christmas Eve/Christmas morning after she had been galavanting around with ball the evening before. I still feel very guilty that I didn't take her on the xmas eve morning like I wanted to and sitting up all night with her was the longest night ever :( But it was very peaceful in the end - still heartbroken and now in tears typing this but it was the best thing to do. :(:(:(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,179 ✭✭✭tritriagain

tk123 wrote: »
    :( Oh no - I'm sorry to hear about your poor dog.

I think once you're asking yourself you know it's time. I had to let my 6 year old go at Christmas due to kidney failure. I had decided I wasn't going to let her get to the stage where she was miserable/weak and had set a date .. unfortunately she went downhill overnight Christmas Eve/Christmas morning after she had been galavanting around with ball the evening before. I still feel very guilty that I didn't take her on the xmas eve morning like I wanted to and sitting up all night with her was the longest night ever :( But it was very peaceful in the end - still heartbroken and now in tears typing this but it was the best thing to do. :(:(:(

Can't stop crying myself. Everytime she looks at me. She's bright and had her down the garden a few minutes ago. She just can't settle

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,779 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

Oh god tritriagain... this is a horrible situation to be in.
    My brother's family's Cavalier was exactly where your little one is, one year ago exactly. Same age too. They were going through exactly what you're going through emotionally too... as was I, albeit at a slight remove, because I had got the little thing for them 8 years previously, an ex puppy farm breeding female, and the little thing adored me for some reason known only to herself:o
    They were very much guided by their vet, but also knew that heartbreaking as the decision is, it's better to let them go a week too early than a day too late... you know?
    It is a horrible place to be, where you are now. But your little one can't settle, can't breathe properly, which can only be distressing for her. I know so well what you describe... looking into their eyes, knowing what's ahead. Heartbreaking. But... you also need to do the right thing for her:(
    Talk to your vet, have a full and honest discussion about it. The very best of luck, I know there are a lot of hearts in this forum going out to you right now :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 841 ✭✭✭sdp

What a heartbreaking time for you, so sorry about your little one.

I had to let my little man go on new years day, I knew it was coming, and did not want to let him go, but it was the right thing for him.

It's the hardest decision we as pet owners have to make. I truly believe, they tell us in their own way, and trust us to do what is best for them.

But tritriagain, you can and will make the right decision, your love for her will guide you, talk to your vet and family, enjoy your time with her, talk to her about all the fun times you had, and the love you shared.

As Tk123 and DBB, you will know, and many here have been in your shoes,
    Also tears as typing this.
    Be kind to yourself, your in our thoughts.x

Thanks for all the kindness. I spent most is yesterday in tears. Had more or less made my mind up until I brought her down the garden. She had such a good time and she still loves her food. I'm waiting for a sign. The downside of letting these adorable animals into our lives I suppose.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,054 ✭✭✭✭tk123

Thanks for all the kindness. I spent most is yesterday in tears. Had more or less made my mind up until I brought her down the garden. She had such a good time and she still loves her food. I'm waiting for a sign. The downside of letting these adorable animals into our lives I suppose.

As hard as it is you need to have a plan in place in case things change dramatically. I don't know what the situation is now with vets in these cases - I'm sorry as this is upsetting to ask - but will you be allowed to be with her? What if things change with guidelines and the vet can't allow it :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭aonb

tk123 wrote: »
    As hard as it is you need to have a plan in place in case things change dramatically. I don't know what the situation is now with vets in these cases - I'm sorry as this is upsetting to ask - but will you be allowed to be with her? What if things change with guidelines and the vet can't allow it :(

This would be so sad - surely the vet would come out to your car and while you sit on the opposite side of the car seat with your dog, the vet could administer the dose from the other side of the car - this is what our vet did for our dog. All over in 2 seconds.

OP, only you can make the decision - I would phone your vet in the morning to discuss - and find out what the vets situation is, should your little dog go downhill suddenly, or you just feel its time

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 301 ✭✭puppieperson1

The beauty if being an animal lover is that we can control the bad things a good owner knows instinctively when its time, sometimes its a look from the dog that tells you its time to go. Sad as it is and i have had to do it many times its the last kindness you can do for your pet to stop the suffering and lay to rest its soo peaceful too the stress is what you are feeling not the dog. Do the right thing.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,283 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

I have never forgiven myself for waiting about 3 weeks after I honestly knew it was time for my first dog. I vowed I would never do that again to any other dog of mine.

I'm sorry OP, I know how awful it feels, but it really is the one thing we owe it to them to do in time.

Op here. We just buried our precious girl. She fought til the end. Can't thank the vet enough for his kind words as he put her to sleep. Broken hearted , tears and snot everywhere but also relieved . The pain of watching her discomfort is gone. Thanks to all for kind words.

• Advertisement
Advertisement