Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Ride On Won't start - just beeping

Options
  • 22-04-2020 6:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 692 ✭✭✭

I got a brand new Mountfield mower last week and it was working perfectly all week and today it cut out when reversing and died. It seemed like the blades switched themselves off. When I try to start it, it just beeps really loudly and nothing else. Could it be the battery already?

The chute was full of grass so I cleaned that out and the sensor for the grassbox too. I was sitting down too on the seat. The only other sensor is the blades but where is it and how do I know if that is the problem? I'm guessing grass has got into the sensor or something like that. I did have it on it's side so I had a good look under there.

Really don't want to have to call the guy, I bet it's something simple.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭Rodin

breadbin wrote: »
    I got a brand new Mountfield mower last week and it was working perfectly all week and today it cut out when reversing and died. It seemed like the blades switched themselves off. When I try to start it, it just beeps really loudly and nothing else. Could it be the battery already?

The chute was full of grass so I cleaned that out and the sensor for the grassbox too. I was sitting down too on the seat. The only other sensor is the blades but where is it and how do I know if that is the problem? I'm guessing grass has got into the sensor or something like that. I did have it on it's side so I had a good look under there.

Really don't want to have to call the guy, I bet it's something simple.

Flick the switch that engages the blades.
    It's probably still in the 'on' position. Won't start if it is

• Registered Users Posts: 692 ✭✭✭breadbin

Rodin wrote: »
    Flick the switch that engages the blades.
    It's probably still in the 'on' position. Won't start if it is

The actual switch on the dash? I did try that a few times. It's a pull out mushroom type switch. I suppose I could have another go at it. You don't know where the sensor for the blades would be?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭Rodin

breadbin wrote: »
    The actual switch on the dash? I did try that a few times. It's a pull out mushroom type switch. I suppose I could have another go at it. You don't know where the sensor for the blades would be?

If it's pull out then push it in.

• Registered Users Posts: 662 ✭✭✭eusap

Check List,

Gear in Neutral?
    Collection box Closed?
    Blades off?
    Sit on seat?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭GinSoaked

Also try with the hand brake on and off - long shot.

But also if hydrostatic drive waggle the drive pedals back and forward. Neutral is when pedals isn't pressed at all but sometimes the switch isn't aligned correctly so isn't telling the electrics the actual pedal is in neutral.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 692 ✭✭✭breadbin

Thanks for all the replies, I opened the bonnet and had a look around this morning. In particular the switch to engage the blades and guess what? The wire connecting to the underside of the switch had come off so that was the reason it was beeping. Still, it got a good clean before I found it:)

Advertisement