Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The bowling alley

Options
  • 22-04-2020 10:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭

Can't find a single interior or exterior picture anywhere online.

Does anyone have a picture of it in their archives from a say birthday party, or something?

I really want to see what it looked like again to bring back memories.

Was the building it was in demolished or did another business move into its place?

I'd also love to see what Jolly Rogers looked like again.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 748 ✭✭✭EmptyTree

Can't find a single interior or exterior picture anywhere online.

Does anyone have a picture of it in their archives from a say birthday party, or something?

I really want to see what it looked like again to bring back memories.

Was the building it was in demolished or did another business move into its place?

I'd also love to see what Jolly Rogers looked like again.

I think the bowling alley building is still there, it's either where bonus beds is or the carpet centre, but I can't remember which (I think it's bonus beds, but I could be wrong)

On a side note, I think selecting a user name like that and looking for photos of Jolly Rogers is at best poor judgement, if intentional it is crass at the very least.

• Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭JeffreyEpspeen

EmptyTree wrote: »
    I think the bowling alley building is still there, it's either where bonus beds is or the carpet centre, but I can't remember which (I think it's bonus beds, but I could be wrong)

On a side note, I think selecting a user name like that and looking for photos of Jolly Rogers is at best poor judgement, if intentional it is crass at the very least.

I came up with that username before I ever thought of making this thread. Kind of unfair to have a go over that IMO. Not to mention a bit of a reach.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,119 ✭✭✭worlds goodest teecher

I remember it being in the Bonus Beds/Crean Tiles building

• Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭JeffreyEpspeen

I remember it being in the Bonus Beds/Crean Tiles building

I must go down and have a look to sate my curiosity. I bet I'm going to be surprised by how small the building is.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,209 ✭✭✭KatyMac

They ruined the bowling alley when they put a bar into it. I used to go often, but once there was alcohol involved the 'vibe' changed and I stopped going. I love bowling, but from Sligo it's an awful trek to the nearest alley - is it Carrick or Castlebar? The one in Carrick iifc is up a steep stairway, which was daft considering people would be going there with (in some cases) small kids.
    I often thought there were some buildings on the outskirts of Collooney that would have made a great bowling alley - it's in the back of my mind that such a venture was mooted several years ago.
    Anyway, Bonus Beds/Tiles building is where the alley was in Sligo.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭shanec1928

KatyMac wrote: »
    They ruined the bowling alley when they put a bar into it. I used to go often, but once there was alcohol involved the 'vibe' changed and I stopped going. I love bowling, but from Sligo it's an awful trek to the nearest alley - is it Carrick or Castlebar? The one in Carrick iifc is up a steep stairway, which was daft considering people would be going there with (in some cases) small kids.
    I often thought there were some buildings on the outskirts of Collooney that would have made a great bowling alley - it's in the back of my mind that such a venture was mooted several years ago.
    Anyway, Bonus Beds/Tiles building is where the alley was in Sligo.
    bundoran would be the closest

• Registered Users Posts: 1,209 ✭✭✭KatyMac

shanec1928 wrote: »
    bundoran would be the closest

Never been there......when life returns to some degree of normality I will have to treat the family! Thanks for the info Shane!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,119 ✭✭✭worlds goodest teecher

Bundoran is a bit weird as I recall, shorter lanes and the pins are on strings.

• Registered Users Posts: 621 ✭✭✭Bebo stunnah

KatyMac wrote: »
    The one in Carrick iifc is up a steep stairway, which was daft considering people would be going there with (in some cases) small kids.

I believe you're describing the bowling alley in Bunoran.
    Both the bowling alley at Carrick and Castlebar are at ground level.
    The one in Carrick is quite nice. It's around the back of the Mulvey Centre, on the right as you enter the town.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭job seeker

I believe you're describing the bowling alley in Bunoran.
    Both the bowling alley at Carrick and Castlebar are at ground level.
    The one in Carrick is quite nice. It's around the back of the Mulvey Centre, on the right as you enter the town.

Have they still got all the arcade games there? I haven't been there in years!

I think a bowling alley would do pretty well around Sligo town if one was to open again..

• Advertisement
Advertisement