Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Identify this tree please

Options
  • 22-04-2020 11:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭

Lots planed in our estate recently.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,848 ✭✭✭mulbot

Looks like lime tree blossom, not very certain on it though.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,486 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

Too early for that I think. Limes flower after leaves come out, don't they?

Too early for that I think. Limes flower after leaves come out, don't they?

Yea I think you are right, in middle of summer I think. I don't know much about them really, except been looking up lately about them as the neighbour has planted about 40 to make a hedge and I had an inkling it's a mistake because I thought they grow big-or am I wrong?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,486 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

I'm not familiar with lime being used as a hedge, but there's a few popular heading plants which are otherwise big trees, e.g. beech, so that wouldn't necessarily concern me.

I'm not familiar with lime being used as a hedge, but there's a few popular heading plants which are otherwise big trees, e.g. beech, so that wouldn't necessarily concern me.

Oh OK. It's been a slight niggle for me for a while, I didn't want to bring it up with him, he's a nice guy, I thought he might have mixed up the name but he threw a few to me and the bag was labelled lime. Will thete any root issues?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,508 ✭✭✭jmreire

Slightly different question then identifying trees.. I have some japanese Apple Blossom growing, and at the moment, they are in flower, and while it will not last long, they are very beautiful while they do. The trees I have ( 5/6 years old) are growing straight up, and the height varies from 6' to 18'. But other ones I have seen have branched out like an umbrella, with big flower laden canopies. As you can see in the pics. My question is can I do something to make my ones branch out? Or are they maybe a type where all the branches only grow straight up?
    Thanks for your help.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,240 ✭✭✭rje66

jmreire wrote: »
    Slightly different question then identifying trees.. I have some japanese Apple Blossom growing, and at the moment, they are in flower, and while it will not last long, they are very beautiful while they do. The trees I have ( 5/6 years old) are growing straight up, and the height varies from 6' to 18'. But other ones I have seen have branched out like an umbrella, with big flower laden canopies. As you can see in the pics. My question is can I do something to make my ones branch out? Or are they maybe a type where all the branches only grow straight up?
    Thanks for your help.
    Your tree is prunus amanogawa. It will stay this shape. These shaped trees are very useful for tight spaces and where light is an issue. Also great for small gardens.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭GinSoaked

Linto wrote: »

My first thought was Pear? Really not that sure but Pear does flower early before the leaves come out and the twigs sort of look right.

There are a few varieties of Pears that are used in street/estate type planting schemes, some varieties have a good pyramid shape and excellent autumn colour.

Ideally need a picture of the flowers when fully out.

rje66 wrote: »
    Your tree is prunus amanogawa. It will stay this shape. These shaped trees are very useful for tight spaces and where light is an issue. Also great for small gardens.

Thank you !!! Space is not an issue for me, and I would like to plant the the wide spreading variety, can you tell me what type I should be looking for? At the moment, the 6 that I have are in their full glory, and one in particular is nearly 20' tall, while another is staying at the 6' mark. Absolutely beautiful trees.
    Thank's again for your help.

If you want a big one then you must get one with a bit of history.

The Great White Cherry Prunus 'Taihaku'.

https://www.ft.com/content/6570df0c-65e3-11e9-a79d-04f350474d62 .

• Advertisement

GinSoaked wrote: »
    If you want a big one then you must get one with a bit of history.

The Great White Cherry Prunus 'Taihaku'.

https://www.ft.com/content/6570df0c-65e3-11e9-a79d-04f350474d62 .

Yes, I'll do that, and just for info, I went out to the garden and was tidying up the grass around the base of the tree, and uncovered the original label still on it. You were 100% correct !!!
    Thank's again !!! :):):)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭standardg60

Linto wrote: »

Looks like it could be Amelanchier.

mulbot wrote: »
    Oh OK. It's been a slight niggle for me for a while, I didn't want to bring it up with him, he's a nice guy, I thought he might have mixed up the name but he threw a few to me and the bag was labelled lime. Will thete any root issues?

There won't be any root issues if it's kept as a hedge.
    Limes are usually seen as pleated hedges, but are fine as an ordinary one.

Thank you !!! Space is not an issue for me, and I would like to plant the the wide spreading variety, can you tell me what type I should be looking for? At the moment, the 6 that I have are in their full glory, and one in particular is nearly 20' tall, while another is staying at the 6' mark. Absolutely beautiful trees.
    Thank's again for your help.

The other cherry in your pic is 'kansan'.

The other cherry in your pic is 'kansan'.

Thanks for the information standard60. And that one is pink coloured, and along the same road, there are much bigger examples of pink flowering ones.

GinSoaked View recommended "The Great White Cherry Prunus 'Taihaku'. So I will go with a mix of the two, or is there another pink that you would recommend other than the "Kansan" ? Will have to wait now until next Nov it seem's before they will be available to plant,
    That was an interesting snippet of information about the "Taihaku", it was extinct in Japan, and then a tree was discovered in Sussex, and it was brought back from the brink and survives today. Bright bit of new's.
    Thanks again for your help.:):):)

One other thing with The Great White Cherry is that it seems to get to its biggest if it can get its roots into water. I don't mean plant it in a boggy area but up on the bank of a river it does really well.

Possibly the biggest/tallest Cherry I've ever had was the double wild Cherry Prunus avium plena, if given space it develops a nice uniform branch structure and will make it to 50ft in good conditions.

Another I wouldn't be without if I was in a suitable location is the smaller Prunus Ukon with huge double flowers, to my eyes its a very Japanese looking cherry.

One other thing with The Great White Cherry is that it seems to get to its biggest if it can get its roots into water. I don't mean plant it in a boggy area but up on the bank of a river it does really well.

Possibly the biggest/tallest Cherry I've ever had was the double wild Cherry Prunus avium plena, if given space it develops a nice uniform branch structure and will make it to 50ft in good conditions.

Another I wouldn't be without if I was in a suitable location is the smaller Prunus Ukon with huge double flowers, to my eyes its a very Japanese looking cherry.

The space is not an issue ( the banks of the river is though.... LOL ) And the existing Prunus Amanogawa. seem to be thriving. So assuming the conditions will suit your recommended tree's? I have presently 5 Prunus, and will plant another 5 or 6 in the autumn. Wish me luck, and any advice anytime is more than welcome. Thanks again :):):)

I've a Great White here in the garden and its doing brillantly by the river and I'm sure I read somewhere might have been "Hilliers" (a well know guide back about 50 years ago Hilliers Manual of Trees and Shrubs) saying that it does best near water. OK Hilliers still exists but back then it was the number one guide now we have hundreds.

The Prunus avium plena I planted a lot when I worked in landscaping. While I didn't plant them on one site that was 15 years old (from planting) the Prunus avium plena were higher than the 2 story houses nearby.

There are three things that are negatives for me with Cherries first off they can be short lived and should ideally never be pruned (except for light formative pruning) there roots are often close to the surface so in a lawn the mower catches them and finally the roots will always find water - If you have any slightly dodgy drains Cherry roots will find them and you need to plant them away from the percolation areas for septic tanks. But plenty of positives if you site them well.

I've a Great White here in the garden and its doing brillantly by the river and I'm sure I read somewhere might have been "Hilliers" (a well know guide back about 50 years ago Hilliers Manual of Trees and Shrubs) saying that it does best near water. OK Hilliers still exists but back then it was the number one guide now we have hundreds.

The Prunus avium plena I planted a lot when I worked in landscaping. While I didn't plant them on one site that was 15 years old (from planting) the Prunus avium plena were higher than the 2 story houses nearby.

There are three things that are negatives for me with Cherries first off they can be short lived and should ideally never be pruned (except for light formative pruning) there roots are often close to the surface so in a lawn the mower catches them and finally the roots will always find water - If you have any slightly dodgy drains Cherry roots will find them and you need to plant them away from the percolation areas for septic tanks. But plenty of positives if you site them well.

Would their proximity to Silver Birch affect them in any way? Or to any other trees? on one side, I have 5 Silver birches, and the Prunus nearest to them has never passed the 5' mark...while one much further away, has easily reached the 20' mark? In terms of planting them ( I planted the existing ones about 5/6 years ago, pretty much willy-nilly ) are there any taboo's when selecting the area's to plant them in, especially with regard to their proximity to other tree's?

Cherries vary greatly in size so I wouldn't worry if some aren't as big as others. Just keep planting, some things will thrive others won't. I had silver birch and cherry growing side by side in one big garden so can't think of any reason not to do it?

My advice would be to include a good few cheaper smaller potted trees in your planting scheme they often out perform larger bare root standards but need a lot more work weeding around then until they get to a decent size.

Planting willy-nilly is good provided you take the final size into consideration, I find it very hard to plant things in random natural way. But don't over space the trees, something I often do.

One other Cherry I always like to have and this time for the bark and Autumn colour Tibetan cherry Prunus serrula.

• Advertisement

Cherries vary greatly in size so I wouldn't worry if some aren't as big as others. Just keep planting, some things will thrive others won't. I had silver birch and cherry growing side by side in one big garden so can't think of any reason not to do it?

My advice would be to include a good few cheaper smaller potted trees in your planting scheme they often out perform larger bare root standards but need a lot more work weeding around then until they get to a decent size.

Planting willy-nilly is good provided you take the final size into consideration, I find it very hard to plant things in random natural way. But don't over space the trees, something I often do.

One other Cherry I always like to have and this time for the bark and Autumn colour Tibetan cherry Prunus serrula.

I'm not really worried about the size as such, just wondered why some were so high, and one or two so low,,,and coincidently these happened to be the ones nearest ones to the Silver Birch. I have a little more than 1 acre of a site, 1/3 of which I have divided with copper beech hedging, and within this division, every thing is returned to nature...aside from the tree's I have and am going to plant. There is even a fox's den there. The rest is lawn and trees, planted willy nilly, because I really dont have much gardening skills, but I really like these Prunus trees hence my interest in them. The other trees there are a mixture of apple and pear trees, and all different types..oddly enough, the pear trees are now producing fruit, despite being out in the open, so will be interesting to see what each tree produces this year.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,825 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

I know this is a few posts past it, but lime tree flowers look like this

lime-tree-flowers-206-9512.jpg

and smell divine.

New Home wrote: »
    I know this is a few posts past it, but lime tree flowers look like this

Will look like this sometime in June or July :D

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,825 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

New Home wrote: »

No your lime won't look like that until June or July.

:rolleyes:

Well played. :D

And the dreaded frost has struck again. Not everything in the garden has been affected, but quite a lot have been showing droopy lifeless looking leaves. The Rhus, which were showing promising growth, but all the new (2020) growth is discolored, Whats the prognosis, do you think? End of Story for this season, or end of story for good??

Best thing that could have happened to the Rhus. It is a bit of a weed, actually the frost may actual be a bad thing and make the weed sucker a bit more.

Best thing that could have happened to the Rhus. It is a bit of a weed, actually the frost may actual be a bad thing and make the weed sucker a bit more.

Rhus is considered a weed? I never knew that. ( but then again, my gardening / botanical knowledge is not great, to say the least !!! ) Basically, everything in the garden got it's new growth burned. So what's the prognosis now? Will they recover, do you think?
    Thanks for your help.

• Advertisement

Rhus is considered a weed? I never knew that. ( but then again, my gardening / botanical knowledge is not great, to say the least !!! ) Basically, everything in the garden got it's new growth burned. So what's the prognosis now? Will they recover, do you think?
    Thanks for your help.

It's not a weed, Gin was just using the term to convey his opinion of it.
    It's very unlikely for any established plant to be killed by one late frost.
    They'll be fine.

Advertisement