Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Identify this tree please

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭GinSoaked

jmreire wrote: »
    Rhus is considered a weed? I never knew that. ( but then again, my gardening / botanical knowledge is not great, to say the least !!! ) Basically, everything in the garden got it's new growth burned. So what's the prognosis now? Will they recover, do you think?
    Thanks for your help.

Sorry, we grow it here because my wife likes it but just have regard to the fact that new plants spring up some feet even yards from the original one due to its tendency to sucker. If you keep on top of it them thats not really a problem but if left it will spread. Also best kept away from fine lawns (so OK in Ireland because we don't know what a really good lawn looks like :o) because the suckers in a lawn aren't great for cylinder mowers - rotary mowers not a bother.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,508 ✭✭✭jmreire

It's not a weed, Gin was just using the term to convey his opinion of it.
    It's very unlikely for any established plant to be killed by one late frost.
    They'll be fine.

Thanks a lot !!! Both for the interpretation of Gin's opinion :), and the welcome news that the plants will recover... I have 3 Rhus in the garden, and last year one of them showed the 1st signs of developing the red leaves and hanging cone's which give them a bit if color in the garden, and now the other 2 have started to show the same sign's ( until the frost ) I should mention that they were planted at different times, about a year apart. So, hopefully, I can look forward to a bit or red in te garden later on.
    Thanks again for your help.

GinSoaked wrote: »
    Sorry, we grow it here because my wife likes it but just have regard to the fact that new plants spring up some feet even yards from the original one due to its tendency to sucker. If you keep on top of it them thats not really a problem but if left it will spread. Also best kept away from fine lawns (so OK in Ireland because we don't know what a really good lawn looks like :o) because the suckers in a lawn aren't great for cylinder mowers - rotary mowers not a bother.

No problem Gin !!! :) In a previous house I lived in, we had a rhus..really majestic colorful tree, but like you have said, it does tend to sucker and spread. I even dug out a few of these suckers and gave them to a friend, thinking that he would be able to grow a Rhus from them...it did not work though. I have 2 mower's..a Honda 1724 ride on, and a 1984 Castlegarden push mower, which still starts on the first pull and still on it's original B&S engine, it can handle any kind of growth. I used it to tame a section of the lawn which had being running wild for a Nr of years, (had to use a brushcutter on it first ) and it handled it easily. I can now drive the rideon over that section, no problem. So I guess that Rhus suckers will not be too much of a problem.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭standardg60

I once accidentally ran over a gate stay with my old Honda mower. Panic quickly turned to relief when i saw the mower had cut the stay clean off and simply carried on!
    I 'forgot' to mention it to the clients, they never closed the gates anyway :-)

I once accidentally ran over a gate stay with my old Honda mower. Panic quickly turned to relief when i saw the mower had cut the stay clean off and simply carried on!
    I 'forgot' to mention it to the clients, they never closed the gates anyway :-)

I had a call from my neighbour a few mths ago, he had a problem with his ride on ( Castlegarden) 1st cut of the season, and as the grass was a bit high, he did not notice one of those "coir" mats ( In case you have not met them before, heavy duty boot cleaning mats that are interlaced with wire and are placed outside door's in houses ) in the grass until it was picked up by the blades, and stopped the engine. I had a quick look and tried pulling the mat out by reversing the pulley's, but no good, I had to get a bolt cutters and snip away at the mat bit by bit before I could get it free again. Surprisingly, no damage was done, and off it drove,without a bother.

• Advertisement
Advertisement