Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Flour

• 23-04-2020 9:14am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,553 ✭✭✭

Anyone getting flour delivered at the moment? If so from where?

Aldi and Lidl have had none the last 3 times I’ve gone and I’d rather go as little as possible to shops.

Not looking for fancy pants organic flour.

Just basic all purpose white flour. Willing to buy €20 worth or more of it I have to buy in bulk.

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,455 ✭✭✭scarepanda

Try some of the wholesale places that supply smaller shops. Some of them sell stuff as retail themselves.

I'm picking up some flour from Pallas foods today, they are collection only though. For plain/self raising flour the smallest bags a saw were 16kg. I'm getting strong flour and that comes in 5kg bags.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,553 ✭✭✭murphyebass

scarepanda wrote: »
    Try some of the wholesale places that supply smaller shops. Some of them sell stuff as retail themselves.

I'm picking up some flour from Pallas foods today, they are collection only though. For plain/self raising flour the smallest bags a saw were 16kg. I'm getting strong flour and that comes in 5kg bags.

Locations don’t suit me unfortunately. Was looking at them last night as it happens. Would be perfect otherwise.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 3,988 Mod ✭✭✭✭Planet X

Where about are you?

Planet X wrote: »
    Where about are you?

Dublin 15

I know Pallas is just off the M50 but it’s not really a “necessary” journey to get a bit of flour.

I doubt mr Garda would be too pleased about my journey.

Murphy s law I’d be stopped.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

Saw plenty when I went to Aldi.
    Probably best you got as early as you can.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,093 ✭✭✭rawn

Dublin 15

I know Pallas is just off the M50 but it’s not really a “necessary” journey to get a bit of flour.

Lidl in Blakestown have self-raising flour. I'm looking for plain flour too, also baking soda! If you see any in D15 on your search for flour please let me know!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 265 ✭✭sugarman20

You could bake a lot with this! Link

• Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 47,333 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

Dublin 15

I made that trip on Tuesday to collect flour and other stuff from Pallas. I had the email on my phone with the order if I was stopped going over, and a full boot to show any guard who stopped me on the way back. Didn't see a single one either direction.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,351 ✭✭✭phormium

That's a lot more essential shopping than buying a few plants which seems to be all the rage now at every small filling station shop that wouldn't know one end of a plant from the other!

Zaph wrote: »
    I made that trip on Tuesday to collect flour and other stuff from Pallas. I had the email on my phone with the order if I was stopped going over, and a full boot to show any guard who stopped me on the way back. Didn't see a single one either direction.

I wonder if you were stopped would they not say why didn’t you buy it more locally to you.

That said I might give it a go tbh. Sick of going to Lidl and there being none at all. Why they don’t stock more I’ll never know. It’s obviously in high demand. That and eggs. Never any of either.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 47,333 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

I wonder if you were stopped would they not say why didn’t you buy it more locally to you.

That said I might give it a go tbh. Sick of going to Lidl and there being none at all. Why they don’t stock more I’ll never know. It’s obviously in high demand. That and eggs. Never any of either.

I'd just tell them that I couldn't get flour or yeast either locally or in my weekly click and collect shopping and had to resort to buying it in bulk. If you're really not comfortable with travelling over there, have a look at the Kells Wholemeal website. They were doing deliveries of 16kg bags a few weeks ago but then ran out. They might have re-stocked since. They're a bit more expensive than Pallas though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,455 ✭✭✭scarepanda

There isn't a shortage of flour as a product. The shortage is due to the demand on retail products at the moment, the packing facilities just don't have the capacity to meet the current demand in retail (smaller bags) . If your willing to buy commercial sized bags then you'll have no issues.

I was asking the girls in my local Aldi when the flour delivery comes in and they said that they simply just can't get flour at the moment. Last time I asked they hadn't had flour in 3 weeks!

I'd imagine eggs would be similar, especially as this time of year is a peak period for egg laying.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,123 ✭✭✭pigtail33

My local Tesco had plenty of Self Raising flour (both own brand and Odlums) this morning and it's the first time they have had any flour in about a month. There were signs up saying plain flour is due in within the next week. I can't remember the exact date, but it was definitely April. So I'd say we'll see it hitting the shelves everywhere in the next few days.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,404 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

On a side note

Aldi and Lidl 2kg plain flour - 99c

Tesco own brand - €1.59

Odlums - €2.99

Some price differences out there when it is available

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,351 ✭✭✭phormium

On the price differences and based on quality I only buy Odlums for certain things, other than that I usually buy Dunnes own brand. You will see a difference in the colour of light bakes such as soda bread for example, a recipe that has nothing but white ingredients, no egg, the baked colour is very different with Odlums than with the cheaper flours, I find it a little coarser and 'dirty' looking for want of a better description with the cheaper ones. It might all be packed by Odlums but it's definitely not all the same grade flour, even a side by side comparison shows far more coloured particles in the cheaper stuff. Grand for most things though, sure it's probably extra fibre from bran etc :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,404 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

Couldn’t tell the difference

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭goldlocks10

Have you tried supervalu?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,891 ✭✭✭SlowBlowin

No flour in west Kerry (Kenmare area) for 4 weeks, Aldi, Lidl or Supervalu.

Tried ordering from Amazon 2 weeks ago still not here.

Any ideas ??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

Try Kells Wholemeal. They have plenty of bread flour in stock if that’s what you’re looking for and you might get lucky with other types. They sell in large quantities so you won’t run out!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,682 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Dublin 15

Little Italy in Smithfield is a wholesaler for Italian restaurants and a poster on here got a 10kg bag of 00 flour last week. Ring them in advance of making a trip as things can change but they did have stocks last week anyway. If you like Italian cooking they have pretty much every ingredient you need in that shop too.

I got 10kg from Ballymore Organics a couple of weeks ago but they have halted orders now until May 5th as they cant mill it fast enough to keep up with demand. They are back taking orders from May 5th if you can hold out for then, delivery for me was three days from the date of order.

I think if you like baking its a good idea to stock up with a 10kg bag now. The demand is Europe wide and 80% of Irelands flour is imported with the shortages being predicted to be with us for some time yet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,407 ✭✭✭OldBean

I can second Ballymore organics, it's excellent quality flour.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,483 ✭✭✭✭Alun

OldBean wrote: »
    I can second Ballymore organics, it's excellent quality flour.
    Still waiting for mine. It was supposedly sent last week after several weeks delay, but is still stuck somewhere in GLS's network.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,407 ✭✭✭OldBean

My wife's last order was slow getting delivered too, but worth it!

Ballymore seem sold out of most things now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,483 ✭✭✭✭Alun

SlowBlowin wrote: »
    Ballymore seem sold out of most things now.
    They mill to order, so not sold out as such, they just couldn't keep up with demand so put everything on pause to catch up.

Try Kells Wholemeal. They have plenty of bread flour in stock if that’s what you’re looking for and you might get lucky with other types. They sell in large quantities so you won’t run out!

Thanks, order placed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,920 ✭✭✭cee_jay

Dunnes Stores in Citywest have had lots of flour for the past 2 weekends. Don't know if it is just that store, or if it is in stock across their chain.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,093 ✭✭✭rawn

I got a small bag in Aldi in Mulhuddart today! There was only one more bag of plain left, they had a few wholemeal too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 467 ✭✭Hugo_Whoriskey

Struggling to get strong brown flour in any pack size at the moment, happy to buy in bulk as we use lots. Anyone any luck with this recently? I'm in Dublin

Advertisement