Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Flour

Options
2»

Comments

Tried a few of the places mentioned above and no luck finding strong flour in Dublin. Anyone have any ideas?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,362 ✭✭✭Thephantomsmask

You can make strong Flour, Holland and Barrett sell vital wheat gluten. I use 5g per 125g plain flour and sift it all together. I haven't been able to get strong flour in the supermarket for weeks now.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 3,977 Mod ✭✭✭✭Planet X

Fair bit of flour in Dunnes, C'court tis morning around 7:30am. Probably gone by now but they had Odlums Strong White and what looked like, 10kg. sacks of Cream/Plain flour.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,499 ✭✭✭Sabre0001

Got gluten free flour delivered from sugarsisters.ie - they have other flours available too. My local Tesco has stayed fairly well stocked over the last few weeks (except for parchment paper and occasionally eggs).

🤪

• Registered Users Posts: 931 ✭✭✭Salvation Tambourine

Try the Polish/Moldovan shops. The Moldovan shop is Swords has 00, plain and rye at least. Probably some others but wasn't looking for them.

• Advertisement

You can make strong Flour, Holland and Barrett sell vital wheat gluten. I use 5g per 125g plain flour and sift it all together. I haven't been able to get strong flour in the supermarket for weeks now.

Thanks for the tip. Would you say it behaves similarly to strong flour at that ratio?

ronoc wrote: »
    Thanks for the tip. Would you say it behaves similarly to strong flour at that ratio?

It works out at about 13.4% protein at that ratio, strong flours seem to be at 12 to 12.8% depending on the brand so I find it works really well and cheap with a bag of own brand plain flour. It works with wholemeal too but I layer in the flour and gluten into the bowl and mix it well with a whisk to disperse it. It is strange, our strong flour is in the 12's yet in America it is 14% minimum for bread flour.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,891 ✭✭✭SlowBlowin

SlowBlowin wrote: »
    Thanks, order placed.

And arrived in West Kerry this morning 24 hours later, well done Kells.. Amazon order placed 2 weeks ago still not here..

• Registered Users Posts: 8,493 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

Any idea how long Kells take to deliver? I’m down to my last kilo......:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 931 ✭✭✭Salvation Tambourine

Got this delivered today. I've just mixed my dry and wet ingredients there and you can really feel the strength. Great tip, thanks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,466 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Finally got my flour from Ballymore Organics yesterday, but was disappointed to find it's only 8-9% gluten, I assumed (incorrectly) that it'd be more than that. Have some Vital Wheat Gluten arriving today though, so will try that out.

It'll be a bit of a pain having to whisk / sieve it first to distribute the gluten around but I guess I'll have to. Have read that if you don't you get small solid lumps of gluten forming in the bread which isn't great either!

• Registered Users Posts: 356 ✭✭Bobsammy

I've made both pizza and bread with the stuff from Ballymore and both turned out well without any addition of gluten. Their website has a recipe for a sourdough loaf using the plain flour so I just fired ahead.

ETA: anything I've made so far has been lovely, the flour has a nice flavour but I find it difficult to describe exactly what it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,891 ✭✭✭SlowBlowin

Just received my second 16 kg bag. Both orders fulfilled within 24 Hours (to west Kerry), amazing.

On the negative side, they are currently sold out of strong flour.

SlowBlowin wrote: »
    Just received my second 16 kg bag. Both orders fulfilled within 24 Hours (to west Kerry), amazing.

On the negative side, they are currently sold out of strong flour.

Obviously Dublin, the most important market in the country, is not their priority! :( (Down to a few 100g’s now)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,685 ✭✭✭✭wonski

rawn wrote: »
    I got a small bag in Aldi in Mulhuddart today! There was only one more bag of plain left, they had a few wholemeal too.

Do you remember the price?

Some flour left in local Centra, but the price is just lol. Not a chance.

Alun wrote: »
    Finally got my flour from Ballymore Organics yesterday, but was disappointed to find it's only 8-9% gluten, I assumed (incorrectly) that it'd be more than that. Have some Vital Wheat Gluten arriving today though, so will try that out.

It'll be a bit of a pain having to whisk / sieve it first to distribute the gluten around but I guess I'll have to. Have read that if you don't you get small solid lumps of gluten forming in the bread which isn't great either!

I do a whole bag of flour at once and stick it into a tub, a bit less annoying that way. I've never had any lumps form thankfully. It might be if the gluten itself is lumpy that that would happen?

• Registered Users Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

vicwatson wrote: »
    On a side note

Aldi and Lidl 2kg plain flour - 99c

Tesco own brand - €1.59

Odlums - €2.99
    tesco have cheaper flour. Their "everyday" value brand is gone for most (all?) stuff and they came with fake/phantom brand names, so many stuff does not always show up in searches, which is stupid. Their cheap own brand flour is called "stockwell". I think it is 99c for 2kg.

Tesco should have flour back in now or soon, a few weeks ago I saw expected delivery dates and most were around this date.

They have a "very strong" canadian flour 13.6% protein. 2euro for a kilo.

https://www.tesco.ie/groceries/Product/Details/?id=289597812

odlums strong is 12.1%, odlums regular cream flour is 10.8%,

so I guess you might be able to mix 1kg extra strong with 1kg regular which would make 2kg of 12.2% so higher protein than odlums strong. I would like the idea of that better than the gluten granules.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,662 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

My local Aldi had stock of both plain and self raising in 16kg bags, 9.99 each. No 1kg or 2kgs available, just the giant bags

Muahahaha wrote: »
    My local Aldi had stock of both plain and self raising in 16kg bags, 9.99 each. No 1kg or 2kgs available, just the giant bags

16kg???

Never seen that big bag in any supermarket.

Not a bad price. Especially these days.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭Xertz

wonski wrote: »
    16kg???

Never seen that big bag in any supermarket.

Not a bad price. Especially these days.

You won't either as it way exceeds maximum lift allowed for staff or customers - you end up getting into customers needing assistance and staff needing tools and multi-person stuff which is a big NO at the moment with COVID-19

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,990 ✭✭✭tabby aspreme

Xertz wrote: »
    You won't either as it way exceeds maximum lift allowed for staff or customers - you end up getting into customers needing assistance and staff needing tools and multi-person stuff which is a big NO at the moment with COVID-19

Plenty of heavy lifting done in both Aldi and Lidl, with compressors, generators, power washers, etc, and lads going with a slab of cans under each arm

It's a 16kg bag. It might be outside of recommended weight, but up to you if you are to put it into your trolley or not.

Exaggerating a bit tbh.

You won't either as it way exceeds maximum lift allowed for staff or customers -
    define "way exceeds" is it double?, what do you think the limits are?

A case of 24 beer cans is over 12kg. 20kg bags of rice are common in asian supermarkets.

They sell barbell kits up to 35kg if not 50kg.

In a workplace 15kg or 16 is recommended to not to be lifted on your own or if it is extra care has to be taken.

There is no max unlike in some countries.

I can bé a bit rusty when it comes to the rules but there never was a max, and if there was it definitely wasn't 16kg.

Sure if you can't lift it or feel it is to much you shouldn't.

wonski wrote: »
    In a workplace 15kg or 16 is recommended to not to be lifted on your own or if it is extra care has to be taken..
    It is different for men & women, and recommendations can take into account the height its being lifted to, if its lifted or lowered, the repetitions etc. I remember my friend going to argos to pickup a 20kg dumbbell set, and feeling a right dumbbell himself as he brought his friend along to help, and out comes the girl with it under her arm.

Fact is far heavier stuff has been on sale for decades and I doubt it was illegal to do so, as that poster was implying with the legalistic sounding " exceeds maximum lift allowed for staff or customers"

• Registered Users Posts: 19,662 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

16kg not that heavy to lift but with flour it is a very bulky package. I could easily see someone lifting it wrong and it ending with kilos of flour all over the shop floor! Must say i was surprised to see that kind of quantity in Aldi but it must be all they can get as they had no 1 or 2kg bags when I looked, just about 10 of the 16kg bags.

Let's hope no one slips on that flour spillage...

Honestly there are 40ltrs compost bags in Centra etc. If you can't lift it yourself, don't.

Most able bodied people can easily put it on the trolley.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,404 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

Tesco had 10kgs odlums plain flour for €12 the other day. Beats their 2kg price of €2.99

If anyone is looking for strong or 00 flour I’m looking to partner up to buy some from Pallas Foods.....

https://touch.boards.ie/thread/2058076260/1/#post113402727

• Advertisement
Advertisement