Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin Marathon 2020

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭geodesic

Eh no.....it’s not a lockdown, it’s an increase in restrictions to level 5 where people are being asked to exercise within 5k of home amongst other things to get the numbers down. If you’ve decided not to do it good for you, there is nothing stopping others doing it in a safe way while not breaking any guidelines.

The spirit of "not breaking any guidelines" while pushing the envelope to the absolute edge is exactly what's going to make this lockdown 2.0 ineffective, while still being massively expensive & damaging to everyone.

There is zero need to have 13k people out on the roads next weekend, with a bunch of them in the Pheonix Park. It's a virtual event, it literally matters not a whit when you run it. You can even order the beanie off the Expo site right now and then run it safely after the restrictions are eased.

• Registered Users Posts: 784 ✭✭✭daydorunrun

geodesic wrote: »
    The spirit of "not breaking any guidelines" while pushing the envelope to the absolute edge is exactly what's going to make this lockdown 2.0 ineffective, while still being massively expensive & damaging to everyone.

There is zero need to have 13k people out on the roads next weekend, with a bunch of them in the Pheonix Park. It's a virtual event, it literally matters not a whit when you run it. You can even order the beanie off the Expo site right now and then run it safely after the restrictions are eased.

The ineffectiveness of level 5 will not be driven by people outside running, regardless of distance ran or time on feet, there is minimal of transmission of Covid in outdoor settings.

I know several people doing the virtual run at the weekend for charities that have had their funding decimated over the last few months too.

“You tried your best and you failed miserably. The lesson is, never try.” Homer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,698 ✭✭✭rovers_runner

The ineffectiveness of level 5 will not be driven by people outside running, regardless of distance ran or time on feet, there is minimal of transmission of Covid in outdoor settings.

I know several people doing the virtual run at the weekend for charities that have had their funding decimated over the last few months too.

Ah right, charidee.
    Carry on so.

If outdoor settings were actually safe (as opposed to just less dangerous) then why do we have a 5km limit at all? Why have we banned social visits to gardens?

Heck, why not just hold the traditional marathon event while we're at it - it's an outdoor setting after all.

And I don't buy the charity argument - are you seriously suggesting that anyone sponsoring a runner will quibble if they ran the marathon yesterday just before lockdown started (as some did), or leave it till the lockdown ends in December, or indeed run it at any time in between?

Literally nobody cares when you run it, as long as you cover the 26.2 - and many charity donors don't even care about that part. They handed over their tenner or whatever just to make the noise stop.

Ah right, charidee.
    Carry on so.

No, the main point is there is no problem with people running during level 5.
    ‘Charidee’ is an aside but a point worth making, But you’re dead right- carry on.

“You tried your best and you failed miserably. The lesson is, never try.” Homer.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,109 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

If outdoor settings were actually safe (as opposed to just less dangerous) then why do we have a 5km limit at all? Why have we banned social visits to gardens?

Heck, why not just hold the traditional marathon event while we're at it - it's an outdoor setting after all.

And I don't buy the charity argument - are you seriously suggesting that anyone sponsoring a runner will quibble if they ran the marathon yesterday just before lockdown started (as some did), or leave it till the lockdown ends in December, or indeed run it at any time in between?

Literally nobody cares when you run it, as long as you cover the 26.2 - and many charity donors don't even care about that part. They handed over their tenner or whatever just to make the noise stop.

5km limit is to stop people travelling between areas, nothing to do with if you are likely to transmit it whilst outside.

Not meeting in people's back gardens is because they don't want you all heading indoors to use the loo or when it rains.

And the charity aspect is far more likely to succeed in raising funds with the shared publicity around the big event. If one person goes off to run 50 laps of their street nobody cares anymore, that was only interesting in March. Now if you have several thousand people all running laps of their street then it's a story, it will get publicity, and people asking for sponsorship will be more successful.

I was just about to address the 5k and outdoor points you make but robinph has covered that.

There is little risk in gardens- the risk is the weather turning and everyone heading inside, their guard already dropped by thinking people they know won't give it to them or perhaps having a few drink to lower inhibitions means what started as a small gathering in a garden turn into what could be deemed a house party. Use of toilet facilities, towels and eating and drinking utensils was also given a mention buy the powers that be.

The 5k rule is also directly related to the whole contact tracing debacle- they literally need to restrict peoples movement and contacts to get back ahead of it and the fact that there are hot spots that people always seem to head to on mass- Glendalough etc. This lack of imagination always astounds me- it seems there are those who can't go for a walk out in the countryside unless there's some form of concession stand to purchase goodies afterwards,

I would have agreed about the charity thing not being an issue but changed my mind after watching the London Marathon on TV, again robinph's point is a good one.

The point about holding the marathon anyway because it’s out doors is nonsense- 40,000 people through an expo, baggage/finish area, drink stations, 300,000 spectators is very different than Tom, Dick or Mary running around in small circles!!

Look, It's tough time for everyone- I'm not looking for an online argument on this I just truly believe there is nothing wrong with people doing their virtual run within the guidelines as most of the runners I know will no doubt do. If there is need for pitch forks and torches there are far bigger targets in the covid blame game.

• Registered Users Posts: 884 ✭✭✭zefer

I'm doing charity marathon distance this weekend (probably tomorrow looking at weather) and am not changing my route. I don't see the difference between me running within 5km of my house or 10km of my house (which is what I'm doing) when I'm outside and on my own. It makes no sense this 5km limit for exercise, none.

Why when I've trained to run it this weekend should I delay till December as is suggested above and then have to train again for that date?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,790 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

Murmuring that the Phoenix Park to have access limited over weekend

zefer wrote: »
    I'm doing charity marathon distance this weekend (probably tomorrow looking at weather) and am not changing my route. I don't see the difference between me running within 5km of my house or 10km of my house (which is what I'm doing) when I'm outside and on my own. It makes no sense this 5km limit for exercise, none.

Why when I've trained to run it this weekend should I delay till December as is suggested above and then have to train again for that date?

Nice handy route planned for a soft pb eh?

• Advertisement

Anyone in the park this weekend running a marathon needs a shoe in the hole.
    Ah right, charidee.
    Carry on so.

You've really added so much to the debate :rolleyes:

Sad sad sad

I'm doing it, not for myself believe it or not, but for the charity that has had its funding decimated due to covid.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,190 ✭✭✭healy1835

Any chance of getting this thread back on topic? There was a toxic enough thread at the start of the lockdown that might be a better place for much of the recent discussion.

• Registered Users Posts: 44 TeaTotal

I would say people that want to discuss the virtual marathon at the weekend should stay on the thread. People that want to discuss what is right and wrong should look for a thread on Covid-19 restrictions.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,590 ✭✭✭py

zefer wrote: »
    Sad sad sad

I'm doing it, not for myself believe it or not, but for the charity that has had its funding decimated due to covid.

You've spelled charidee wrong mate.

You've really added so much to the debate :rolleyes:

Never said people shouldn't run it, just that anyone who does run it in the Phoenix Park will no doubt be breaking the rules of the restrictions given they are going to be covering the full area of the park.

Also the Dublin Marathon elevation profile has 180m climbing minimum, so anyone giving out about having to change their handy local route to suit the new 5km limits has no doubt planned little or no elevation gains into their route.

Suck it up lads, try running the trails for a change.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

Anyone used the App for a run yet? I hate carrying my phone on runs but will do so for this one this weekend. Do I need to set a specific 13.1 mile route or can I run 13.5-14 "to be sure, and the app will take the half marathon out of it?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,109 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

Anyone used the App for a run yet? I hate carrying my phone on runs but will do so for this one this weekend. Do I need to set a specific 13.1 mile route or can I run 13.5-14 "to be sure, and the app will take the half marathon out of it?

Used it for a trail run a few weeks ago.

No need to set a route, just run wherever you like, it will speak to you every mile and probably play a fanfare at you when you complete the distance.

The distance it measures will likely be vastly different to what your Garmin will measure though.

You've spelled charidee wrong mate.

I hope for their sake, nobody you care about has to rely on a charity to provide basic essential services like Speech & language etc if they have to depend on someone like you

Anyway, on to the ignore list with you

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 44 TeaTotal

Never said people shouldn't run it, just that anyone who does run it in the Phoenix Park will no doubt be breaking the rules of the restrictions given they are going to be covering the full area of the park.

Also the Dublin Marathon elevation profile has 180m climbing minimum, so anyone giving out about having to change their handy local route to suit the new 5km limits has no doubt planned little or no elevation gains into their route.

You have said your bit, now move along. Back to the Covid thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 601 ✭✭✭Slow_Runner

I used it on a couple of long runs (20-22 miles), reckon with the phone you will need to add an extra 400-500m compared to the watch. I'm going to stick with the watch because it is more accurate (but mainly because I won't have to run as much :D)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,325 ✭✭✭MayoSalmon

Eh no

I suggest you take a look at this mate

https://2kmfromhome.com/

• Registered Users Posts: 3,587 ✭✭✭Working class heroes

TeaTotal wrote: »
    You have said your bit, now move along. Back to the Covid thread.

And when did you graduate from Moderator University?

Racism is now hiding behind the cloak of Community activism.

The point about holding the marathon anyway because it’s out doors is nonsense- 40,000 people through an expo, baggage/finish area, drink stations, 300,000 spectators is very different than Tom, Dick or Mary running around in small circles!!

Just to be clear, my suggestion to actually go ahead with the real marathon event was a rhetorical, strawman-y thing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,481 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

Just used it today on a short run. It measured .06 of a mile shorter than my Garmin over 4.8 miles. Not very encouraging!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,216 ✭✭✭crisco10

I used it on a 15.15km run last Saturday. And the App read 15.01km. So from a measurement perspective, it was within the margin of error. But given it was tucked away in the buggy pocket and it took my a while to dig it out etc. it was a bit of a trek to check.

Hence, I'll start the App and fire it in the buggy but I'll be stopping based on my watch.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 853 ✭✭✭Unthought Known

Murph_D wrote: »
    Just used it today on a short run. It measured .06 of a mile shorter than my Garmin over 4.8 miles. Not very encouraging!

The London app did the same and for that my Garmin finished on 26.4 miles, pretty much the same distance as every marathon I've finished. It's almost like they've programmed it to simulate not running the racing line.

The London app did the same and for that my Garmin finished on 26.4 miles, pretty much the same distance as every marathon I've finished. It's almost like they've programmed it to simulate not running the racing line.

Of the people I know who ran London it was pretty rare to have the Garmin and app that close in measurement. Variations of up to a mile in either direction from what I've seen and a couple of people who it wouldn't work for at all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,797 ✭✭✭rizzee

Best of luck to everyone running this weekend!

Advertisement