Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin Marathon 2020

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭Josieg

Just did mine this morning. I had planned to do it today fir the last few months due to child care etc so i stuck to the plan if not the route i had initially intended. I tracked with my garmin 245 and had live track on so the wife aka the support crew plus a few friends could follow me. It was my first over the marathon distance and i have to say i felt great right up to the 32km mark, which was my longest runnin training. Then my calves and head started to play up. The 5km climb from that point didnt help. Finished in 3:45:52. Im delighted. My target was sub 4hrs. I had the worstvcalf cramps in both legs when i stopped. It lasted for about 30mins. No amount of stretching helped. Takeaway and wine tonight to celebrate!

• Registered Users Posts: 16,052 ✭✭✭✭event

Fair play.
    But I thought it had to be ran from the 24th to the 26th (inclusive) for you to upload your time?

event wrote: »
    Fair play.
    But I thought it had to be ran from the 24th to the 26th (inclusive) for you to upload your time?

If you are using the app to track your run it isnt active until tomorrow morning at 7am i think but with watch based times i can upload via the Eventmaster website over the weekend with some sort of evidence.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,583 ✭✭✭py

It's been ran, photoshop can used on the date if required. Fair play.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,205 ✭✭✭crisco10

py wrote: »

Yeah, well done buddy. The virtual DCM series is all about participation over the weekend. It would only be the most churlish amongst us who hold it against you that you did it on Friday!

Although, I'm significantly impressed that you appeared to be done and dusted by 8:47 !

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,098 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

I certainly wouldn't suggest that you turn on the tracking on your phone tomorrow for a short jog and then switch the phone to airplane mode before rebooting it. Nope, wouldn't suggest anything like that at all.

crisco10 wrote: »

Although, I'm significantly impressed that you appeared to be done and dusted by 8:47 !

🀣🀣🀣 that was a screenshot i sent to a friend of the course BEFORE I set off. I left after 9. I had to help get the kids off to school first! None of that craic when I do the real DCM next year 🀞

py wrote: »

Yeah, it all about just doing it. Its not the same as the real deal anyway I'm sure but a good personal challenge. I did get the ok from the DCM team on Facebook that i could do it this way though. I wont use photoshop. They can take it or leave it!

robinph wrote: »
    I certainly wouldn't suggest that you turn on the tracking on your phone tomorrow for a short jog and then switch the phone to airplane mode before rebooting it. Nope, wouldn't suggest anything like that at all.
    ;-)

• Registered Users Posts: 16,052 ✭✭✭✭event

I wasnt trying to be dismissive or anything. I thought I had seen that so wanted to call it out. Im only doing the half myself and am waiting until tomorrow but was wishing for today

D'oh

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 987 ✭✭✭Pinoy adventure

Josieg wrote: »
    Just did mine this morning. I had planned to do it today fir the last few months due to child care etc so i stuck to the plan if not the route i had initially intended. I tracked with my garmin 245 and had live track on so the wife aka the support crew plus a few friends could follow me. It was my first over the marathon distance and i have to say i felt great right up to the 32km mark, which was my longest runnin training. Then my calves and head started to play up. The 5km climb from that point didnt help. Finished in 3:45:52. Im delighted. My target was sub 4hrs. I had the worstvcalf cramps in both legs when i stopped. It lasted for about 30mins. No amount of stretching helped. Takeaway and wine tonight to celebrate!

Is that the drumshanbo marathon route you ran ???

• Registered Users Posts: 987 ✭✭✭Pinoy adventure

Josieg wrote: »

Josieg my bad the Leitrim route has more up and down

• Registered Users Posts: 11,778 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

Never said people shouldn't run it, just that anyone who does run it in the Phoenix Park will no doubt be breaking the rules of the restrictions given they are going to be covering the full area of the park.

Not true. I can run in the park and stay within 5km of my home and many others can too

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭6run28

the park itself is 7 square km so a person would need to live very close by and not travel too far within it!

Not judging, just like the maths of it

• Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭pansophelia

6run28 wrote: »
    the park itself is 7 square km so a person would need to live very close by and not travel too far within it!

There’s a very densely populated area surrounding the park. I have the whole park within my 5k, I’d say anyone in Inchicore, Kilmainham, Rialto, Phibsborough, Stoneybatter, Castleknock would all be grand - with lots of other areas having a good portion of it.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,098 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

Have a look at the 2kmfromhome.com site and be surprised just how big an area 5km is. Stick the pin in the middle of the the Phoenix Park and a massive area of Dublin would be covered, so they could all run to the park and do laps around at least half of it without risk of being told off by an overly officious Garda with their tape measure.

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭Lightscribe

Does anyone know if you use the app and it reads short can you still upload a time manually or will the results show a DNF?

Planning half marathon tomorrow morning in the wind!

Josieg my bad the Leitrim route has more up and down

It was essentially 3 laps hence the pattern of 3 up and down. The first 2 times were grand but 3 was a completely different story!

• Registered Users Posts: 23,538 ✭✭✭✭ted1

7 sq km is nothing , a 5 km radius is 78 sq km

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭6run28

Yep but you got to travel to the park and run 42km all while not travelling further than 5km from your house.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭Jay D

Does anyone know if you use the app and it reads short can you still upload a time manually or will the results show a DNF?

Planning half marathon tomorrow morning in the wind!

There’s an option to reset the app and it doesn’t stop recording once you star until you reach the distance you chose. So if it happens just reset and upload your distance and time manually.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,682 ✭✭✭Trampas

Someone on for a 1:52 marathon after 10km. 26:40 for 10km. Hopefully he can keep it going and not blow up like a tube or tyre

10 miles 41:17.

Keep it up George. The Enniskillen royal boat club be proud of you

• Registered Users Posts: 6,340 ✭✭✭TFBubendorfer

That's simply not true. You can live a few km from Phoenix Park and it can still be entirely inside your 5k radius.

• Registered Users Posts: 343 ✭✭MrMacPhisto

That's simply not true. You can live a few km from Phoenix Park and it can still be entirely inside your 5k radius.

Spot on. Are you in the market for new Saucony Kinvara 3s by any chance? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,578 ✭✭✭Reg'stoy

Spotted what I imagine were runners doing their virtual race around Naas this morning. Loads of walkers out too, so must have felt like the first K of an actual race having to skip around people.

Did feel sorry for them having to stop to cross roads and the break in stride this causes. Leaves on paths another thing to watch out for and the weather could have been kinder, so fair play to everyone out this morning and tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭Dev1234

I like the way the default time on Eventmaster for uploading your marathon time is set as 2 hours 5 minutes.

"Here's where ye should be lads - try harder next year!!"

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭Lightscribe

Jay D wrote: »
    There’s an option to reset the app and it doesn’t stop recording once you star until you reach the distance you chose. So if it happens just reset and upload your distance and time manually.

Thanks for this, as it happens the app read well ahead of my watch, I got the "congratulations you're finished" message a full quarter mile ahead of the watch.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,793 ✭✭✭rizzee

Finished up in the park. 3:31:20.

3min 57sec PB and a 43min 37sec difference from Dublin last year. I'll take that!

Now give me a big bag of cans and pizza.

• Registered Users Posts: 784 ✭✭✭daydorunrun

Saw a good few out this morning wearing hydration packs and the like. One poor divel limping along like you'd normally see going up Roebuck Hill!! Started running again when I gave him an old 'keep her lit' shout.

Good luck to everyone clocking the miles this weekend, enjoy!

“You tried your best and you failed miserably. The lesson is, never try.” Homer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,473 ✭✭✭Comic Book Guy

Finished it up before lunch. Found it a bit surreal, only met 3 other people the whole way around!

Strava gave me a time of 2:55:25 so I'm very happy with that. Over 18 mins quicker than the real thing last year and over an hour up on my disaster in 2018.
    Not quiet the buzz of the finishing area last year but I'll still enjoy my beers later!

Best of luck to all those heading out tomorrow and we'll done to everyone on their efforts today.

Advertisement