Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin Marathon 2020

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭MY BAD

Finished it up before lunch. Found it a bit surreal, only met 3 other people the whole way around!

Strava gave me a time of 2:55:25 so I'm very happy with that. Over 18 mins quicker than the real thing last year and over an hour up on my disaster in 2018.
    Not quiet the buzz of the finishing area last year but I'll still enjoy my beers later!

Best of luck to all those heading out tomorrow and we'll done to everyone on their efforts today.
    Congratulations. Enjoy it. My buddy ran a 3:00:28 today with a 30 minute improvement of his race PB

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭anais

Reg'stoy wrote:
    Spotted what I imagine were runners doing their virtual race around Naas this morning. Loads of walkers out too, so must have felt like the first K of an actual race having to skip around people.

Reg'stoy wrote:
    Did feel sorry for them having to stop to cross roads and the break in stride this causes. Leaves on paths another thing to watch out for and the weather could have been kinder, so fair play to everyone out this morning and tomorrow.

Canal was beautiful, in spite of the leaves! Happy out doing 7km loops,even with loads out, great to see!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,643 ✭✭✭ThePiedPiper

I ran 2:56 today, absolutely delighted. I must say it was a very enjoyable experience. I’m really glad I took my phone with me, as it aided my family a lot. Lots of people out around south and mid Louth running marathons. Different type of camaraderie and atmosphere obviously, but still there.

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭6run28

Well done everyone running today !!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,263 ✭✭✭MayoSalmon

First marathon for me...ran a 3:40 and I'm delighted with that.

Had strava beacon turned on so the family meet me halfway and at the end which was great.

Park was buzzing today..great to see.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 784 ✭✭✭daydorunrun

Brilliant reading all the updates. These are the kind of positive vibes we need right now! Some rapid times too!

“You tried your best and you failed miserably. The lesson is, never try.” Homer.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,793 ✭✭✭rizzee

MayoSalmon wrote: »
    First marathon for me...ran a 3:40 and I'm delighted with that.

Had strava beacon turned on so the family meet me halfway and at the end which was great.

Park was buzzing today..great to see.

That's a super time for your first one. Well done!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,098 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

Did my run early doors in 3:42, although officially 3:52 as I stopped for a bit to say hello to the parents as I ran past their front door. Couldn't really be overly bothered with the running towards the end, but was just after the distance and the woolly hat. Stayed dry for the duration for me.

Other half then ran back with a freind also doing the virtual during the afternoon, but had rain for the full duration and a couple of hail storms. Was about half a mile difference between their apps at the end.

The chats about the history of places around Dublin took me by surprise.

• Registered Users Posts: 540 ✭✭✭racersedge

Got out nice and early this morning to record mind. Weather just started to clear and it was a lovely morning for it. Finally managed to achieve my two main goals since I first committed to marathon running. First was to go sub-4. I finished it in 3:55. Second was to do it without having to stop/start. Achieved that one as well, with a very quick stop to stretch for about 10-15seconds at 41K when the knee seized up.

Ran four laps around the locality. I actually thought it would be tougher without the crowds but had the advantage of running with my socially distanced training pod and other locals out doing theirs in different directions.

Absolutely delighted with it. Overcame the hump that I’ve hit in my last two Dublin efforts. Overall a 14-minute PB. Was ruthlessly consistent as well. All bar the 41st kilometre where I had that stretch, all other kilometres were between 5:30-5:45 pace.

Also delighted with how I felt afterwards. While sore and tight in places, I was in a much better place physically and mentally than the past two attempts.

Well done to all those who got their run today and all the best to those attempting their runs tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭geodesic

If you're doing it tomorrow or Monday, go hard and go early. I was out before 6am this morning, very few on the roads for the first couple hours. Started to get much busier after 9am, uncomfortably so in spots. Stay safe y'all!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,098 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

Surprised how few had run yesterday with only 1200 finishers... Then remembered that you have the whole weekend. There is a lot of people still to run.

robinph wrote: »
    Surprised how few had run yesterday with only 1200 finishers... Then remembered that you have the whole weekend. There is a lot of people still to run.

Does that include people who didn't use the App? Seems quite low..

I never downloaded the app at all, just submitted my time on Eventmaster yesterday, I don't have to do anything else, right?!

Would expect that to only be the app users.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,392 ✭✭✭Sunny Dayz

When you submit your time via EventMaster - where does it then show up? Submitted my time and my son’s 4 miler time yesterday afternoon and got no confirmation email.
    (App didn’t work for me, it stopped recording my distance at 28km)

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 4,281 Mod ✭✭✭✭deconduo

Finished it yesterday, first marathon. I had planned to do the full set of training but picked up an injury that meant I was pretty unprepared (I ended up with 6 weeks of training averaging 35k a week and a single long run of 24k before the marathon) I expected to do a lot of run-walking but was able to run the full thing apart from a couple of water breaks. Finished in 4.36, so a nice target to aim for next time with a proper training cycle :pac:

For comparison, I did my first half marathon at the end of March in 1.49, but then had 4.5 months with no running :(

I ran with my Garmin rather than the app, but the app picked up the time from Strava anyway. Anyone know if I still need to submit the time to eventmaster as well?

deconduo wrote: »
    Finished it yesterday, first marathon. I had planned to do the full set of training but picked up an injury that meant I was pretty unprepared (I ended up with 6 weeks of training averaging 35k a week and a single long run of 24k before the marathon) I expected to do a lot of run-walking but was able to run the full thing apart from a couple of water breaks. Finished in 4.36, so a nice target to aim for next time with a proper training cycle :pac:

For comparison, I did my first half marathon at the end of March in 1.49, but then had 4.5 months with no running :(

I ran with my Garmin rather than the app, but the app picked up the time from Strava anyway. Anyone know if I still need to submit the time to eventmaster as well?

Well done!!

I never downloaded the App at all, is that a requirement even when I wasn't going to use it?

I submitted the time on EventMaster yesterday evening anyway. No email confirmation or any other details. Hopefully it'll be ok? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭Josieg

rizzee wrote: »
    Well done!!

I never downloaded the App at all, is that a requirement even when I wasn't going to use it?

I submitted the time on EventMaster yesterday evening anyway. No email confirmation or any other details. Hopefully it'll be ok? :confused:

No confirmation for me either so I assume there isn't meant to be one. I'm sure it will all work out grand. Like the app seems to have....

Sunny Dayz wrote: »
    When you submit your time via EventMaster - where does it then show up? Submitted my time and my son’s 4 miler time yesterday afternoon and got no confirmation email.
    (App didn’t work for me, it stopped recording my distance at 28km)

There's some kind of manual verification of the uploaded screenshots that takes a while ... for the virtual Frank Duffy 10 mile back in August, I got the confirmation email for the uploaded time on the Monday after uploading on Sunday. That was a much smaller event though, only a few hundred runners in total. So I'd guess the verification will take longer for this weekend's events.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,181 ✭✭✭healy1835

2:56:51 for me this morning. Really enjoyed it, although the 9 repeats of a pretty exposed loop started to seem a bad idea about 20 miles in :) decent bit of runner traffic on the loop as well which gave all involved a bit of a buzz I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,663 ✭✭✭rovers_runner

Well done to ye all, especially with the harsh weather on offer this weekend.
    The lack of crowds also leaves an individual completely at the hands of the wind whereas there is naturally some shelter at times in crowds of thousands.

Must have been tough mentally without the crowds and aid stations.
    Interesting to read people's accounts of it from that perspective.

• Advertisement

I see Sean Hehir ran 2:21 odd in the Phoenix park this morning........I wonder did he get a shoe in the hole;)

“You tried your best and you failed miserably. The lesson is, never try.” Homer.

I just see a Facebook friend took 1 hour 20 minutes off her time last year. And probably on the hilliest route in the country.

It's a shame she didn't have a tracker, because the overall ascent and speed must be jaw dropping. Still, at her rate of improvement, I see national records falling soon.

Know a few others who ran it, to everyone bar the lady referred to above, well done...

I just see a Facebook friend took 1 hour 20 minutes off her time last year. And probably on the hilliest route in the country.

It's a shame she didn't have a tracker, because the overall ascent and speed must be jaw dropping. Still, at her rate of improvement, I see national records falling soon.

Know a few others who ran it, to everyone bar the lady referred to above, well done...

Without some kind of tracker (either the official app or something Garmin-ish) surely that too-good-to-be-true time is not going to stand up?

I see Sean Hehir ran 2:21 odd in the Phoenix park this morning........I wonder did he get a shoe in the hole;)

He should have done but would anyone have caught up with him to dish it out.

Maybe Scullion could have and told him to HTFU

ElLu805WkAA06XN?format=jpg&name=medium

In fairness have seen some images from today online- it looked mental today.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,473 ✭✭✭jlang

The Phoenix Park was super busy today anyway. (3:42:21 for me). In the morning there were a lot of runners and cycling groups but later it seemed to be more a case of pretty much everyone in range just going to one of the few places they knew to be open. Lots of picnics, kids on scooters, roller bladers, elderly taken for a push in their wheelchairs, etc. Lovely to see so many out in the clear weather, to be honest and the respect for social distancing and all that was high.
    With the parking on Chesterfield Avenue gone, the grass verges and side roads take the hit as before, but as before it'll only be on the nice days and should recede once other things open up again (shops and "5k limit" will be the biggies, I presume). Didn't go down where that picture was taken but there were Guards stationed in the middle of the road at Mountjoy Cross doing their be-seen thing.

Maybe you get the idea now. The place was wedged. Muppets.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,369 ✭✭✭sk8board

Looking at our club times, I wasn’t the only one who felt the wind made it a really tough challenge today.
    Plenty of us with PB’s, feeling like there’s headroom for the next day, which is great

• Registered Users Posts: 987 ✭✭✭Pinoy adventure

Shocking carry on.stupid people out blocking up the park.there should be no cars allowed anymore in the park

• Advertisement

Maybe you get the idea now. The place was wedged. Muppets.

Sounds like it was mostly the general public making use of the open space rather than marathon runners driving there for a run.

Advertisement