Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin Marathon 2020

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭Lightscribe

A friend of mine running his first ever half marathon today used the app but stopped it when he got to mile 13, he didn't realise its 13.1. He's now registered as a did not finish.
    Would the organisers be any way sympathetic to a story like that and send him a medal does anyone know?

• Registered Users Posts: 784 ✭✭✭daydorunrun

robinph wrote: »
    Sounds like it was mostly the general public making use of the open space rather than marathon runners driving there for a run.

Yeah, it's really after lunch it gets busy- not many left it till after lunch to run a marathon!

Mad how everybody has the same idea of where to go when the weather is nice and there is f**k all else to do!

“You tried your best and you failed miserably. The lesson is, never try.” Homer.

[HTML][/HTML]
    A friend of mine running his first ever half marathon today used the app but stopped it when he got to mile 13, he didn't realise its 13.1. He's now registered as a did not finish.
    Would the organisers be any way sympathetic to a story like that and send him a medal does anyone know?

Oh no he didn't :pac:

“You tried your best and you failed miserably. The lesson is, never try.” Homer.

• Registered Users Posts: 987 ✭✭✭Pinoy adventure

He will get a DNF for his trouble
    There is over 5hrs left today and 24hrs 2moro too repeat it

• Registered Users Posts: 2,663 ✭✭✭rovers_runner

Sounds like it was mostly the general public making use of the open space rather than marathon runners driving there for a run.

Have seen videos of runners chatting in groups at their cars from just after lunch.
    It's in the usual points the people park for race series events.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,098 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

Have seen videos of runners chatting in groups at their cars from just after lunch.
    It's in the usual points the people park for race series events.

So?

Someone took a video of some runners just proves that there was some runners in a video. That says nothing about the rest of the people in the park at the time and who they were or what they were visiting the park for.

[HTML][/HTML]

Oh no he didn't :pac:

Oh yes he did 😭

I did mine yesterday thankfully.

He will get a DNF for his trouble
    There is over 5hrs left today and 24hrs 2moro too repeat it

No chance, he's battered after today.

So?

Someone took a video of some runners just proves that there was some runners in a video. That says nothing about the rest of the people in the park at the time and who they were or what they were visiting the park for.

Look you have your opinion on it but the majority of us here in Ireland are pissed off with our tory lite Govt oppressing us with unnecessary lockdowns.
    The sooner we get out of it the better but some in this country feel they can do as they please, a west brit attitude you could say.

Most of the population in rural Ireland are left with no chance of exercise from one end of the working week to the other, but sure as long as the goys in Dublin get to roll up to the park in their SUV for their few laps...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,388 ✭✭✭laura_ac3

Look you have your opinion on it but the majority of us here in Ireland are pissed off with our tory lite Govt oppressing us with unnecessary lockdowns.
    The sooner we get out of it the better but some in this country feel they can do as they please, a west brit attitude you could say.

Most of the population in rural Ireland are left with no chance of exercise from one end of the working week to the other, but sure as long as the goys in Dublin get to roll up to the park in their SUV for their few laps...

Yeah, that picture posted a couple of hours ago is wall to wall SUVs.

• Advertisement

laura_ac3 wrote: »
    Yeah, that picture posted a couple of hours ago is wall to wall SUVs.

https://twitter.com/clicky_here/status/1320391949027782657?s=20[\url]

There was a certain group up there today doing there virtual marathon (not DCM)in clear breach of government rules.they had a fuel station
    Set up and were high 5ing each other on loops.
    Yet on the Facebook group giving it loads about the park being packed and here these idiots out giving us runners a bad name.
    Is it ok too share the name of the group ?

There was a certain group up there today doing there virtual marathon (not DCM)in clear breach of government rules.they had a fuel station
    Set up and were high 5ing each other on loops.
    Yet on the Facebook group giving it loads about the park being packed and here these idiots out giving us runners a bad name.
    Is it ok too share the name of the group ?

Are the from a wee county by any chance?
    Red bibs? Bingo wings?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,793 ✭✭✭rizzee

Just got an email to say my race time was approved :)

Are the from a wee county by any chance?
    Red bibs? Bingo wings?

What's the wee county ?
    Yes they wear red bibs/t shirts

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭geodesic

Yes, IMO absolutely they should and likely they will. Just have your friend contact the marathon office via email (office@dublinmarathon.ie) to explain the situation - TBH I'd eat my official 2020 marathon beanie if they don't sort it out quickly & sympathetically.

geodesic wrote: »
    Yes, IMO absolutely they should and likely they will. Just have your friend contact the marathon office via email (office@dublinmarathon.ie) to explain the situation - TBH I'd eat my official 2020 marathon beanie if they don't sort it out quickly & sympathetically.

But the did not cover the distance so it cannot be counted.if that is the case can't I run 25.7miles and claim too have ran a marathon ?

The first 8 finishers are currently reported with 2:05 times ... Mick Jago, Saulius Vekrikas, Thomas Mc Donagh, Michael Mc Cracken, Joseph Cole, Peter Nesbitt, Paddy Hannan, and Petur Ivarsson.

Who'd have thunk the world class marathoner bench was so deep in these parts?

LOL, I think this is called debugging an untested app in realtime.

But the did not cover the distance so it cannot be counted.if that is the case can't I run 25.7miles and claim too have ran a marathon ?

Look back on the thread, there's all manner of reports that the app consistently under-reports distance ran, at a level that puts 0.1 miles short well within the margin of error and deserving of the benefit of the doubt.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,583 ✭✭✭py

Their app was a ****show. Plenty of complaints on social media about it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,392 ✭✭✭Sunny Dayz

rizzee wrote: »
    Just got an email to say my race time was approved :)

Yep mine came through there too.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,233 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

Look you have your opinion on it but the majority of us here in Ireland are pissed off with our tory lite Govt oppressing us with unnecessary lockdowns. .

No, polls and surveys say differently. And our government is made up of 3 different parties, bizarre yellow vesty to throw the dumb Tory moniker around.

• Registered Users Posts: 28 dpforce

The first 8 finishers are currently reported with 2:05 times ... Mick Jago, Saulius Vekrikas, Thomas Mc Donagh, Michael Mc Cracken, Joseph Cole, Peter Nesbitt, Paddy Hannan, and Petur Ivarsson.

I'm one of those 02:05 "world class" runners with actual time of 04:35
    Finished the distance, stopped my watch, walked to a car and then checked the app. On app I was still short of almost 1.5km. Ran extra mile, manually submitted result and got 02:05 :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,340 ✭✭✭TFBubendorfer

And Norma, Julie and Mary all broke the marathon world record. Very impressive showing!

Holy ****, I can’t wait till all this ****e is over and the days of castigating people for running and doing normal every day things without being labelled granny killers or some such-
    Also **** virtual races, I yearn for the real thing. This new normal ****e sucks ass:(

• Registered Users Posts: 800 ✭✭✭SeeMoreBut

Gob****es like the love 2 run running group not sticking too the government rules or sticking with the social distance rules.
    Such a selfish group of runners giving up runners a bad name.
    3 different house holds in the attached picture

I don't see anyone running?

I just see 3 people talking and I don't know them from Adam so maybe they live together. Wouldn't be the first case of 3 males living together.

Maybe it is just my eyes.

I'm sure you are over in the cycling forum giving out about cyclist breaking 5km rule

SeeMoreBut wrote: »
    I don't see anyone running?

I just see 3 people talking and I don't know them from Adam so maybe they live together. Wouldn't be the first case of 3 males living together.

Maybe it is just my eyes.

I'm sure you are over in the cycling forum giving out about cyclist breaking 5km rule

3 people from 3 different households meeting up is breaking the government rules.
    From your eyes would you think the distance between them are within the government limits of social distance ?

No I'm not on the cycling forum however I might just pop over and have a look.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 208 ✭✭Valresnick

Did the half there in 1:42. Happy with that. App worked well. I nearly stop at 13kms and realised it was 13.1kms !! Well done to all who competed !

• Registered Users Posts: 3,793 ✭✭✭rizzee

Valresnick wrote: »
    Did the half there in 1:42. Happy with that. App worked well. I nearly stop at 13kms and realised it was 13.1kms !! Well done to all who competed !

Luckily you didn't stop at 13.1Kms for a half ;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 208 ✭✭Valresnick

rizzee wrote: »
    Luckily you didn't stop at 13.1Kms for a half ;)

Sorry miles

Advertisement