Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin Marathon 2020

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 544 ✭✭✭thebronze14

Gob****es like the love 2 run running group not sticking too the government rules or sticking with the social distance rules.
    Such a selfish group of runners giving up runners a bad name.
    3 different house holds in the attached picture
    Jesus, you need to get over yourself

• Registered Users Posts: 11,778 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

Gob****es like the love 2 run running group not sticking too the government rules or sticking with the social distance rules.
    Such a selfish group of runners giving up runners a bad name.
    3 different house holds in the attached picture

I know several people from that group who are running locally from this weekend onwards as they live beyond the 5km limit.

The 3 in the pic could have run separately or not be running at all and are just chatting. They are also outdoor and we know the transmission level is extremely low in outdoor settings.

Gym, hairdressers (who are operating at home) and beauty salons still operating are far more likely to be cause of transmission then a few lads out walking or running. I was in the park this morning and didn't see anything that would be against health guidelines

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,098 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

If you believe that law breaking is happening then boards.ie are not the appropriate people to let know.

Don't post unsubstantiated accusations of law breaking and identifiable photos of people.

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭mrmoonlight

The top 5 in the half marathon leaderboard covered the 13.1 in exactly 1 hour flat ha ha

• Closed Accounts Posts: 208 ✭✭Valresnick

The top 5 in the half marathon leaderboard covered the 13.1 in exactly 1 hour flat ha ha

Must be an issue with the App I reckon.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,052 ✭✭✭✭event

Yeah I think thats more app related than anything dodgy

event wrote: »
    Yeah I think thats more app related than anything dodgy

You’d hope so or they’d better be able to back up potentially world class time :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,369 ✭✭✭sk8board

After the relative success/good vibes of this event by moving it virtual, what are the chances of other ones doing the same, rather than the rolling postponements?
    I found myself today looking for another virtual Half this side of Christmas.
    I avoided the app, but uploading the time was simple and worked great, and a medal in the post next week I suppose

• Registered Users Posts: 11,778 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

sk8board wrote: »
    After the relative success/good vibes of this event by moving it virtual, what are the chances of other ones doing the same, rather than the rolling postponements?
    I avoided the app, but uploading the time was simple and worked great, and a medal in the post next week I suppose

You won't get the medal until december

Same as myself eager to do another. I had a slight injury so stuck with the half but no issues today with it so I’m going to do a full next. A virtual marathon thread would be nice !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,583 ✭✭✭py

Run the Line virtual is in a few weeks and it raises valuable funds for DWMRT. https://www.runtheline.ie/

• Registered Users Posts: 6,340 ✭✭✭TFBubendorfer

Valresnick wrote: »
    Must be an issue with the App I reckon.

Almost certainly caused by people uploading their time manually and NOT using the app.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,369 ✭✭✭sk8board

Not sure if there’s a separate thread, but the Longford/cairn hill 5k/10k/10m is now virtual and they had ‘2020’ made in advance, so they are allowing virtual entries €21 incl postage up to Dec 31
    Myself and 3 neighbours who did the Half yesterday are thinking of picking a date next month and giving it a blast

Yesterday's virtual run went well. Came away with a PB which I was thrilled with. The great thing about the day was the camaraderie amongst those that were out doing their virtual runs. I spotted several people with home made numbers attached to their t-shirts/jerseys. There were a few groups I spotted running in a physically distanced formation, it was almost military like. I passed the same people over and over again on my lap, there was always a hello or word of encouragment exchanged.

One of the runners whom I crossed paths with several times had her kids shouting out the window waving motivational signs at her, such a great thing to see with no crowds and no fanfare, just a family trying to encourage someone through what was going to be a challenging day. I spotted her later on and she had a friend running with her for encouragement.

At the latter part of my run out towards Ballycullen, I'd a lady who was driving the opposite direction but clearly out supporting someone or perhaps had just done her own run, offer me a drink which was incredibly kind of her. I didn't know her, she didn't know me but she knew any offer of support whether taken or not, would have been welcome. I waved her off but gave a big thumbs up as a sign of appreciation. Thank you stranger.

I never really planned to have my family out supporting though I did pass on my strava beacon link for safety purposes. My wife and kids drove by me a few times shouting encouragement which was a real boost, particularly towards the end of my final lap when I was out on my feet. I'd also a friend of the family and her kids out shouting words of encouragement each time I passed their house.

Not your typical DCM or race of any kind but it was special in its own way. Outside of those people taking the piss, I hope people had a positive experience of their virtual race.

Theyve announced the winners.

Bit strange considering people can still upload times

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,098 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

But they would know if anyone was running that pace already as the app uploaded split times as you go.

robinph wrote: »
    But they would know if anyone was running that pace already as the app uploaded split times as you go.

What if you didnt use the app? Or did you have to use it to compete & be recognised as a winner?

• Registered Users Posts: 929 ✭✭✭Jakey Rolling

Was checking a friend's result in W45 category, then went to check overall female results - same three W45 women were 1,2,3 overall. Times not too shabby either at 2:57/2:58. Putting the young uns to shame!

100412.2526@compuserve.com

• Registered Users Posts: 7,682 ✭✭✭Trampas

Winners? They couldn’t give prizes based on virtual runs.

They’ve no way of verifying any run. Just need to look on strava to see cycling under runs due to gps device

Was checking a friend's result in W45 category, then went to check overall female results - same three W45 women were 1,2,3 overall. Times not too shabby either at 2:57/2:58. Putting the young uns to shame!

That wouldn't be too unusual for V40 women to be winning overall female category in many races, V45 would be more unusual but still wouldn't be surprised at them beating Fsen runners.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9 N.Fusco

App was a fecking disaster. I was about 11 miles in when it started talking congratulating be about doing 5 miles and giving me the history of Phoenix park
    Thankfully I presumed it was be pants so used my watch. 04:57, which is slow AF but was in the trails around Bray and got over 1,000m elevation so delighted with it

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭geodesic

From the results on the DCM site, looks like just shy of 9000 completed one of the 4 virtual events:
    • Marathon: 4149
    • Half: 3345
    • 10k: 1124
    • 4M: 359

There were a total of 13,000 registered according to media reports at the time, so that's a drop out rate of circa 30% which I guess isn't at all bad considered the lockdown circumstances.

(typically the no-show rate for a "real" marathon is 15-20%, IIUC)

• Registered Users Posts: 800 ✭✭✭SeeMoreBut

geodesic wrote: »
    From the results on the DCM site, looks like just shy of 9000 completed one of the 4 virtual events:
    • Marathon: 4149
    • Half: 3345
    • 10k: 1124
    • 4M: 359

There were a total of 13,000 registered according to media reports at the time, so that's a drop out rate of circa 30% which I guess isn't at all bad considered the lockdown circumstances.

(typically the no-show rate for a "real" marathon is 15-20%, IIUC)

Some people didn't upload run also I guess

It was mentioned in the covid events thread but you'd hope the virtual aspect is enough to keep them ticking over financially.

• Registered Users Posts: 800 ✭✭✭SeeMoreBut

Is there many out of DCM organisers that are on a salary for it?

No problem in getting some money for doing some work and any expenses but is there many working who that is their only income?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,377 ✭✭✭diego_b

SeeMoreBut wrote: »
    Is there many out of DCM organisers that are on a salary for it?

No problem in getting some money for doing some work and any expenses but is there many working who that is their only income?

Last I heard they have one full time employee.

• Registered Users Posts: 22 floodser

Medal and beanie arrived in post this morning.

Great job by the organisers. Roll on the real event next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,793 ✭✭✭rizzee

Also got mine yesterday. Another one for the collection!

Is there any way of getting an entry next year? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 12,851 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

rizzee wrote: »
    Also got mine yesterday. Another one for the collection!

Is there any way of getting an entry next year? :D

It will open up at some stage but not till they know its going ahead

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,392 ✭✭✭Sunny Dayz

Anyone not got their medal and beanie hat yet? From looking at my social media it feels like I'm the one one who hasn't!

Advertisement