Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin Marathon 2020

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,851 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

Steve wrote: »
    https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/country/ireland/

Let's be realistic,

Are you really saying that 19,648 people infected and 1,102 dead is low?

3 days ago we had the highest recorded mortality rate ever in this country.

Now, more than ever we need to have some common sense and a realisation that the age old "shure it'll be grand" is not going to save us.

I never reference anything you said above there.

Nobody said it was grand, but it will be despite the lockdown merchants wishing otherwise.
    As you have no skin in the game I wouldn't expect you to understand how people who take part in races would look to be optimistic.
    Sitting on the sideline must get boring so you have to get your kicks somehow.

Finally, don't belive everything that is spun to you.
    Once our gutless caretaker government realise the virus is under control both here and in Europe they will copy their paymasters and lift the restrictions in plenty of time for Oct.

If the GAA don't get permission to run its championship, Dublin marathon won't get the go ahead either.

I can't see any big marathon in Europe going ahead this side of Christmas.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,682 ✭✭✭Trampas

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/country/ireland/

Let's be realistic,

Are you really saying that 19,648 people infected and 1,102 dead is low?

3 days ago we had the highest recorded mortality rate ever in this country.

Now, more than ever we need to have some common sense and a realisation that the age old "shure it'll be grand" is not going to save us.

The thing about that is there is no standard in reporting numbers. Uk are currently only counting people who die in hospitals. We will never know what each country will really had. Here I heard that if you die waiting for a test it was presumed you had a positive tests.

Trampas wrote: »
    The thing about that is there is no standard in reporting numbers. Uk are currently only counting people who die in hospitals. We will never know what each country will really had. Here I heard that if you die waiting for a test it was presumed you had a positive tests.

Also remember the numbers includes people that died from something else but when tested they had the virus, they were added to list.

13 people died a day in Ireland due to Cardiac arrest. That is over 4,700 a year.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,834 ✭✭✭OOnegative

Also remember the numbers includes people that died from something else but when tested they had the virus, they were added to list.

13 people died a day in Ireland due to Cardiac arrest. That is over 48,000 a year.

Will you go do your maths again!!!

• Advertisement

OOnegative wrote: »
    Will you go do your maths again!!!

Lucky I ain't an accountant.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,892 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

13 people died a day in Ireland due to Cardiac arrest. That is over 4,700 a year.

The number of people who die from cardiac arrest is irrelevant as they can't pass cardiac arrest on to others.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,336 ✭✭✭EC1000

.....our gutless caretaker government ........... they will copy their paymasters ......

Think you are in the wrong forum.

Zebra3 wrote: »
    The number of people who die from cardiac arrest is irrelevant as they can't pass cardiac arrest on to others.

Think we all know that. But the purpose of the lockdown was to ensure the hospitals could handle the numbers when we come out of lockdown.
    Hopefully and more than likely not this weekend, we will slowly move and manage our numbers. But I don't expect much sport in 2020

• Registered Users Posts: 8,841 ✭✭✭blackwhite

First two events of Race Series pushed to Oct/Nov.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 873 ✭✭✭Casey78

blackwhite wrote: »
    First two events of Race Series pushed to Oct/Nov.

They announced that weeks ago did they not?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,841 ✭✭✭blackwhite

Casey78 wrote: »
    They announced that weeks ago did they not?

Just saw notifications coming out tonight - no idea if they’d announced it previously

• Registered Users Posts: 2,663 ✭✭✭rovers_runner

Rumour has it cancellation to be announced soon.
    Must have to organise refunds for ballots etc. and I'm sure planning regards permits and insurance etc would need to be sorted shortly.

Hope they give us an option to defer to 2021.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Not surprised. Can't see any mass participation events going ahead without a vaccine, given I'm borderline cocooner I'm only now getting a bit more ease about going shopping etc. I wonder how they'll handle it and better for them to cancel early so they don't have people on social media asking every five minutes and they can start focusing on next years race then. My Ironman in July was only officially cancelled yesterday but Ironman aren't refunding they're offering people the chance to defer to the likes of Kazakhstan :rolleyes:
    The likes of Barcelona, London etc who postponed will have a new headache now if their races can't go ahead.
    Apart from that, even with restrictions lifted, I can't imagine many places really wanting a huge influx of people from all over the world arriving in their city for a weekend.

Mod note:

If you or anyone else on here continue with speculation like the above then it will have consequences. Nobody knows what the future holds.

Anything to add today Steve?
    22 cases in the community was it Steve?
    Speculation was it Steve?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,431 ✭✭✭sideswipe

Rumour has it cancellation to be announced soon.
    Must have to organise refunds for ballots etc. and I'm sure planning regards permits and insurance etc would need to be sorted shortly.

Hope they give us an option to defer to 2021.

How reliable is the source of the rumour?

sideswipe wrote: »
    How reliable is the source of the rumour?

An organisation commitee member confirmed it on the quiet.
    They need to get their speak out soon before word spreads.

• Registered Users Posts: 800 ✭✭✭SeeMoreBut

Would they do a Spring and Autumn one next year to please everyone who missed out this year as it would be 2022 if people in this year deferred to next

• Registered Users Posts: 2,431 ✭✭✭sideswipe

SeeMoreBut wrote: »
    Would they do a Spring and Autumn one next year to please everyone who missed out this year as it would be 2022 if people in this year deferred to next

Thats what I was wondering. Most big races postponed till a later date but you'd have to wonder will the rescheduled dates be canned in the end anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,007 ✭✭✭opus

Decision coming this week I read.

D-day looming for 2020 Dublin Marathon
    Organisers set to meet this week to potentially decide if race should be postponed

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,892 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

Hard to see anything other than a cancellation.

opus wrote: »
    Decision coming this week I read.

D-day looming for 2020 Dublin Marathon

Tis done and dusted.
    They were right not to risk huge loss of money by commiting to suppliers for tshirts/medals/timing/event management.
    They would have been back as square one after all the good work since 2010.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,477 ✭✭✭youngrun

Zebra3 wrote: »
    Hard to see anything other than a cancellation.

Would hold fire on a decision if I were them till End July

A lot can change in 3 months ...

Offer deferrals to drop field size and hold a no frills event

• Registered Users Posts: 1,583 ✭✭✭py

youngrun wrote: »

Issue with waiting that long is that refunds are available from 9am on 3rd of June to Midnight on 16th June 2019. Due to the ongoing uncertainty there could be a huge influx of refunds which could leave them short of funds.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,778 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

youngrun wrote: »

20 week training plan starts in early June. Think they have to make a decisive call by June bank holiday

If they can save some of the series events to keep some income then that's better then losing everything and it will generate goodwill

Looking like virtual marathons will be the only show in town for 2020.

Think I'll cover the DCM route mid to late summer for a change, hopefully on a quiet Sunday morning.
    Suppose it beats the freezing cold morning of an Oct Bank Holiday.
    Every cloud etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 638 ✭✭✭Arsenium

Looking like virtual marathons will be the only show in town for 2020.

Think I'll cover the DCM route mid to late summer for a change, hopefully on a quiet Sunday morning.
    Suppose it beats the freezing cold morning of an Oct Bank Holiday.
    Every cloud etc.

That beautiful freezing cold of that Oct Bank Holiday......roll on 21...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,606 ✭✭✭ultrapercy

Arsenium wrote: »
    That beautiful freezing cold of that Oct Bank Holiday......roll on 21...

Ive done 18 Dublins since 96 and there was only 1 cold morning. There were 2 very wet and windy day which I missed(00 and Sonia year 04) my first one in 96 was very breezy all other years were perfect or near perfect conditions.

• Registered Users Posts: 343 ✭✭MrMacPhisto

ultrapercy wrote: »
    Ive done 18 Dublins since 96 and there was only 1 cold morning. There were 2 very wet and windy day which I missed(00 and Sonia year 04) my first one in 96 was very breezy all other years were perfect or near perfect conditions.

https://www.rte.ie/archives/2016/1026/827110-dublin-city-marathon/

Number 0844 was it?? :D Did it start on O'Connell street?

I think 2015 was breezy too, at least that's what I blame my 8 minute positive split detonation on ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,377 ✭✭✭diego_b

Just wondering is there an archive that shows that route taking by the Dublin marathon every year since it started? I ran my first one in 2015 and each year since then so just curious to see the maps of the previous routes taking by the course for different years?

Advertisement