Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin Marathon 2020

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,301 ✭✭✭ariana`

BaZmO* wrote: »

It's €15 for the full marathon and €12 for all the others. I'm kinda confused about this. What's the point in paying? What exactly are you getting for your money?

A medal and a beanie for the full marathon.

Just a medal for the race series distances.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,583 ✭✭✭py

healy1835 wrote: »
    I do love my DCM Beanies though :)

How else will people know I ran a marathon?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,098 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

No email for me. :(

Don't think I'd be wanting the medal anyway, although a hat and a donation of €15 to ensure that the marathon gets to survive a year with zero income I can live with.

• Registered Users Posts: 800 ✭✭✭SeeMoreBut

You've to run the distance in a day with the app running on your phone also.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,663 ✭✭✭rovers_runner

They are discouraging people from running the Dublin marathon route, why say that when there are no movement restrictions....

Threy will only accept your time tracked by their GPS app on your phone, no garmin/strava etc.

Going to be a **** show on the day when the app falls over like their registration system did.

I'll be doing the proper route possibly that weekend in my own time.
    Will see how accurate their GPS app is then...

• Advertisement

SeeMoreBut wrote: »
    You've to run the distance in a day with the app running on your phone also.

Can't see how people would have a problem with doing the distance all at once, that's the whole point of the race?

The app angle is a strange one mind....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,336 ✭✭✭EC1000

They are discouraging people from running the Dublin marathon route, why say that when there are no movement restrictions....

I would imagine they are conscious of people "racing" and having to negotiate loads of busy city centre junctions. Someone running for a time is not going to stop for traffic lights. Recipe for disaster.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,098 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

Threy will only accept your time tracked by their GPS app on your phone, no garmin/strava etc.

Going to be a **** show on the day when the app falls over like their registration system did.

I'll be doing the proper route possibly that weekend in my own time.
    Will see how accurate three or GPS app is then...

The same reason that parkrun have been banging on about not doing parkruns at 9am/ 9:30am in the location of the actual parkruns for the last several months. You can't have that number of people congregating at the same time in one location under your brand name, be that parkrun or DCM, and then try and claim no responsibility for the policing of the occasion.

Needing to use their specific app is an odd one though, not difficult to link in with Strava/ Garmin/ etc and get the distances confirmed that way. Well it's easy in that people who know how have it already figured out and have been setting up virtual races using those systems for months.

Not seeing anything on the DCM website yet about this though.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,502 ✭✭✭chris85

never seen a virtual run off an app (apart from wings for life race which was required due to the nature of the race). This will definitely put a lot of people off it. Would never normally like to run this far with a phone but will see. Investing back into the Dublin Marathon I think is important also to keep it going. Its only €15 so cannot argue too much. Some great memories doing DCM the last 3 years so they can have my money even if I dont end up running it in the end.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,181 ✭✭✭healy1835

py wrote: »
    How else will people know I ran a marathon?

They'll tell you of course :)

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 873 ✭✭✭Casey78

Probably don't want people organising group runs of the route on the day. Could get very messy if loads of groups all try to run it at once.

Casey78 wrote: »
    Probably don't want people organising group runs of the route on the day. Could get very messy if loads of groups all try to run it at once.

We could see a couple of "necessary" bank holiday road closures so to put people off gathering in Fitzwilliam Sq on the Sunday morning.

Will aim to do it Saturday morning I think for fear of large numbers causing anger on the Sunday.

Not a huge amount of traffic to navigate on the route anyway, few close junctions in south inner city in the first 2 miles.
    After that it's handy enough to keep moving with long stretches to manage road crossings.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,052 ✭✭✭✭event

No interest in a virtual marathon tbh, just dont see the point.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,374 ✭✭✭positron

Strange email and idea from DCM folks.

If I really miss running DCM, the next best thing would be for me to go out there to rock up there on my own and a day earlier or later, and run the route in reverse - time on watch, results on Strava, I don't care about their app.

But, then again, it's probably easier (and more scenic) to plot a 42.2k out and back route near me rather than travelling all the way to Dublin. Hmm, time to get running again.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,793 ✭✭✭rizzee

Got the email too. Would jump on this if I didn't have to carry around my phone! No thanks.

Just got the email through myself.

Looking through the FAQ most of it makes sense, like must run on that specific weekend, must run outside, mustn't run in big groups, mustn't run the actual route.

The requirement to use their app is very odd though. The only "benefit" I can see that providing is reducing support calls from people who can't figure out their Strava uploads, but it's surely going to create way more support calls from when the app crashes on people, is a massive battery drain and then fails to actually upload the results for some reason. Reading between the lines it seems that it will show a virtual map of the Dublin course whilst you run and where you would then be on the route as you run around somewhere else...but who gives a crap about that whilst they are running?

I'm currently watching a dot move around the Pennines in England as someone trys to break the FKT for that, but the person actually doing it doesn't care where their dot is on a virtual map. It's cool that someone has figured out the software hack to make that happen, but it's utterly pointless for the person running.

I'm certainly tempted by the €15 for a hat and would then send them my Garmin trace after the event so they could do some stats about who and how various people took part for their PR, but running their app on my phone at the same time is a definite turn off. Have various essential for life apps running on my phone and not sure I'd be comfortable with testing their potentially battery draining app for the first time whilst out on a multi hour marathon distance run.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,583 ✭✭✭py

Agree with the above about the app, it's a needless showstopper.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,448 ✭✭✭The Davestator

robinph wrote: »
    Just got the email through myself.

Looking through the FAQ most of it makes sense, like must run on that specific weekend, must run outside, mustn't run in big groups, mustn't run the actual route.

The requirement to use their app is very odd though. The only "benefit" I can see that providing is reducing support calls from people who can't figure out their Strava uploads, but it's surely going to create way more support calls from when the app crashes on people, is a massive battery drain and then fails to actually upload the results for some reason. Reading between the lines it seems that it will show a virtual map of the Dublin course whilst you run and where you would then be on the route as you run around somewhere else...but who gives a crap about that whilst they are running?

I'm currently watching a dot move around the Pennines in England as someone trys to break the FKT for that, but the person actually doing it doesn't care where their dot is on a virtual map. It's cool that someone has figured out the software hack to make that happen, but it's utterly pointless for the person running.

I'm certainly tempted by the €15 for a hat and would then send them my Garmin trace after the event so they could do some stats about who and how various people took part for their PR, but running their app on my phone at the same time is a definite turn off. Have various essential for life apps running on my phone and not sure I'd be comfortable with testing their potentially battery draining app for the first time whilst out on a multi hour marathon distance run.

Surely any fully charged phone battery could handle running multiple apps with location settings on for 3 - 5 hours?

Doesn't seem like that's an issue to be concerned about at all.

Download their app, use it and uninstall it after. Seems fairly straightforward.

Surely any fully charged phone battery could handle running multiple apps with location settings on for 3 - 5 hours?

Download their app, use it and uninstall it after. Seems fairly straightforward.

Yep, but fairly pointless.

I'm already running with a Garmin on my watch tracking me, which is then uploading the live data so that the family can see exactly where I am. That can then be linked with Strava or uploaded to any other site which they care to link with.

Why do I need another single use app for doing a virtual Dublin Marathon that's only additional feature appears to be it will show a dot on a map of where I am whilst running, which has to be one of the most pointless features of a running app as who watches their phone screen whilst running?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,778 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

Until their app crashes on the day

The irish runner series ran virtual events where you upload your time online and add a picture from your Garmin or Strava

I'd sign up for the half but not if I have to use my phone. I don't run with my phone and haven't done in 3 years or more. Seems a bit daft really

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,682 ✭✭✭Trampas

Think of all the data they’ll have if you use their app and not some random garmin link

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭6run28

Im on the fence at the moment..not keen on running with a phone but not the end of the world to stick it in a belt...am pretty desperate to do a marathon run and might be a fun day out

• Registered Users Posts: 45 sgal

I've signed up for it, partly because it gives me something to train and aim for and partly because the DCM has been a great occasion over the last 3 or 4 years. Initially I was planning on my usual long run route being what I'll run on the marathon day. However, part of the appeal of the DCM is that my wife and myself get away for two nights in Dublin (a lot of trouble for time away from the kids I guess!). So I'm kinda thinking of trying to do it in Dublin and make a weekend of it. Is it hard to work out a straight forward route? E.g. could I run loops of the Phoenix park or something. I'm not terribly familiar with Dublin so just looking for a few opinions. Thank you.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,448 ✭✭✭The Davestator

sgal wrote: »
    I've signed up for it, partly because it gives me something to train and aim for and partly because the DCM has been a great occasion over the last 3 or 4 years. Initially I was planning on my usual long run route being what I'll run on the marathon day. However, part of the appeal of the DCM is that my wife and myself get away for two nights in Dublin (a lot of trouble for time away from the kids I guess!). So I'm kinda thinking of trying to do it in Dublin and make a weekend of it. Is it hard to work out a straight forward route? E.g. could I run loops of the Phoenix park or something. I'm not terribly familiar with Dublin so just looking for a few opinions. Thank you.

You could run a mix of the park and maybe the coastal route from Howth, through city and out past Dun Laoghaire. Coastal path most of the way but wind could be an issue. Also depends on where you will be staying.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,502 ✭✭✭chris85

sgal wrote: »

Depends a little what you want from it perhaps. If you want a fast time then some loops with a make shift hydration station would be good and definitely could do this in the Phoenix Park. If more just to complete the distance then you could tag some good locations to see in Dublin and do up a route to cover them. But plenty of easy options in Phoenix Park, out in the coast, some good options on the canals. Bit harder in the city with traffic but very doable. I would rather try get out of the immediate city centre to get some decent stretches in for running.

• Registered Users Posts: 224 ✭✭knipper

If they want to raise funds they should open it up to all. No reason not to that I can think of. Loads would apply just to get their beanie.

I'll give them €15 for a beanie, but not if I also have to run their app inorder to be able to receive it. I'll almost certainly run a marathon distance that weekend, unless London do something similar at the beginning of the month in which case I'll be bored of the idea by the time it's Dublin's turn.

I see no reason so far to use their app for running a marathon distance training run though.

• Registered Users Posts: 759 ✭✭✭Rega

knipper wrote: »
    If they want to raise funds they should open it up to all. No reason not to that I can think of. Loads would apply just to get their beanie.

It's open to the public from tomorrow at noon.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,457 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

It wouldn’t be a Dublin (virtual) marathon without something to moan about! :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,778 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

Rega wrote: »
    It's open to the public from tomorrow at noon.

But you have to run with your phone and I would guess most people don't since Garmin and fitbits became widely available. I've not run with my phone since April or May 2017.

If I want to run one of these events I have to pay for the event and buy a new phone cover/strap for a one off. And what if their app crashes on the day?

Seems daft to run it this way IMO.

Advertisement