Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anyone willing to admit they're already starting to relax restrictions?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,083 ✭✭✭Rubberchikken

No. Still stick to the 2k for walking our dog. Still working but it's just at the 2kish mark so I manage that.
    So have to go to shop virtually every day but have gotten used to queueing/s distancing and don't mind it.
    Also won't mind how long it takes if it means that health wise we'll be better off in the long run.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭SAMTALK

What makes you think they will do what they are asked if a further extension is put in place?
    Also can you tell me has there been a rise in infections in the community since the restrictions and what is the present RO figure?

So we lift regulations and chance that all will be ok?

I,ll just pass that on to health care workers in my family and see what they think

They risk infection everyday and have to look at suffering and death. We cannot just let people move around as they like because people are tired of being stuck at home

• Registered Users Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭almostover

56d.gif

Nope, but if everyone decided to pick and choose that restrictions they follow then people will die. Hopefully it wont come to your family in any serious way but you may reconsider your irresponsible actions if it does.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

SAMTALK wrote: »

I,ll just pass that on to health care workers in my family and see what they think

They risk infection everyday and have to look at suffering and death. We cannot just let people move around as they like because people are tired of being stuck at home

Ask the health care workers in your family how long do they think it's feasible to have the country locked down before the loss of life is greater than the Covid deaths due to mental health issues, medical procedures cancelled and the economic devastation ?
    I"m not trying to pick a row but I get the distinct impression that some people believe we can stay locked down indefinitely. We can't it's as simple as that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭SAMTALK

Ask the health care workers in your family how long do they think it's feasible to have the country locked down before the loss of life is greater than the Covid deaths due to mental health issues, medical procedures cancelled and the economic devastation ?
    I"m not trying to pick a row but I get the distinct impression that some people believe we can stay locked down indefinitely. We can't it's as simple as that.

Not indefinitely but at least as long as we,re asked which is not happening .

It's only a few weeks and already people are pulling against the restrictions, so it,s only prolonging this.

Ask the people who have lost loved ones who they didn't get to be with or grieve for properly if restrictions are too much or going on too long

I'm no fan of staying at home outside of work but if that's what it takes so be it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,654 ✭✭✭Charles Babbage

Medical procedures cancelled, if it happens, has nothing to do with the lockdown as you know very well. It has to with the diversion of health resources because of the crisis. If the lockdown is ended there will be more Covid19 cases and there will be more, not less, medical procedures cancelled.

Make a case if you wish about economic issues, but do not make a false argument about people with other illnesses.

Medical procedures cancelled, if it happens, has nothing to do with the lockdown as you know very well. It has to with the diversion of health resources because of the crisis. If the lockdown is ended there will be more Covid19 cases and there will be more, not less, medical procedures cancelled.

Make a case if you wish about economic issues, but do not make a false argument about people with other illnesses.

My future daughter in laws transplant operation was cancelled due to the present crisis. So kindly forgive if me I 'm going to ignore you.

Not indefinitely but at least as long as we,re asked which is not happening .

It's only a few weeks and already people are pulling against the restrictions, so it,s only prolonging this.

Ask the people who have lost loved ones who they didn't get to be with or grieve for properly if restrictions are too much or going on too long

I'm no fan of staying at home outside of work but if that's what it takes so be it

You will always have people who will ignore rules and regulations. The fact we have prisons and a police service is testament to this.
    To suggest however if a cohort of people behave like bold children 'ye' will all be punished. I use that term as that certainly seems to be the tone emanating here and from Leo and co.
    The RO is less than .7. The virus is concentrated in nursing homes and long term care facilities. This virus is with us it's going nowhere and we will have to co exist with. According to an expert with the WHO an effective vaccine may never been developed. So as I said a lockdown cannot go on indefinitely, the damage will be too great.

For all of you criticising people like me for occasionally going outside of the 2 km limit. Where is your evidence that this has made any difference to the infection rate? Do you have any hard data, or are you just relying on emotion?

Because I have seen one real report on 7000 cases that stated the risk of contracting the virus while outside was zero or very close to it.

If anyone has a reputable report or study that disproves the above, I would very much like to see it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,355 ✭✭✭Jim Gazebo

This idea of you are only prolonging the lockdown. I see no gatherings. I only see more cars in the road. If they are exiting the 2km they are not gathering. If they get covid, their close contact list is probably still a close cohort of family.
    In that case, they are using more cars on the road as aa threat. More cars on the road does not lead to more infections. It's ridiculous to say it will last longer because a minority ignore it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 527 ✭✭✭sterz

So as I said a lockdown cannot go on indefinitely, the damage will be too great.

But it needs to continue until May 5th and then they can reasses. They probably have the plan all ready to go regardless but it would be idiotic to give them a reason to needlessly extend the lockdown.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,820 ✭✭✭smelly sock

I have gradually started to relax i suppose. Seeing more family again and going to the shops multiple times a day just to get out. Heading back to the office on Monday.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭timmy_mallet

Why not though? A society will decide what it will accept in terms if sickness and loss of life, we compromise all the time. I think people understand the risk but are eager for a sense of normalcy. There is no cure, there is no vacccine, we bunker forever or live with it, what is the alternative?

sterz wrote: »
    But it needs to continue until May 5th and then they can reasses. They probably have the plan all ready to go regardless but it would be idiotic to give them a reason to needlessly extend the lockdown.

This is where I struggle, "give them" them? We are them, it's our decision either way.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,603 ✭✭✭Montage of Feck

namloc1980 wrote: »
    What reward would you like? A few sweeties or a gold star on your forehead perhaps.

I just want to go back to work.

🙈🙉🙊

• Closed Accounts Posts: 395 ✭✭Class MayDresser

Just back from a few down town with the lads, publican threw us out as his mam was upstairs watching Tubs, afraid she'd shop us in. Apart from that, pretty lockdown stringent.

I have gradually started to relax i suppose. Seeing more family again and going to the shops multiple times a day just to get out. Heading back to the office on Monday.

I get that a small percentage of the population will be stupidly selfish, but if you're looking to give two fingers to everyone else adhering to the restrictions why bother going to the shops multiple times a day? Why not just get out without the shops bit?

This is where I struggle, "give them" them? We are them, it's our decision either way.

Well no, a lot of people are unable to return to work as it stands. So it's not our decision.

I get that a small percentage of the population will be stupidly selfish, but if you're looking to give two fingers to everyone else adhering to the restrictions why bother going to the shops multiple times a day? Why not just get out without the shops bit?

What's the plan though? Hide forever? 0 covid19 cases has gone, we have to live with it now.

Well no, a lot of people are unable to return to work as it stands. So it's not our decision.

I mean, we elect "them" (I know!!!).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,520 ✭✭✭Downlinz

Psychological difficulties I would guess. Some people hate their own company more than anything else and daily routine is the escapism. Doing something, anything might be their release from facing themselves.
    It's still incredibly selfish of course but while "just stay at home by yourself" is a mundane, simple task to most people it might be the worst kind of hell for a small portion.

Im not giving the fingers to anyone. Im fed up. Im being honest and i can tell you judging by the amount of people out and about the last 3 or 4 days others are sick and tired of this too.

Its a relatively mild illness in most and the actual number of cases and deaths are extremely low. At some point we need to find a better way of dealing with this.

The chances of me contracting this are really low.

This lockdown is ****ing crazy and someone needs to grow a pair and start to ease it.

Im not giving the fingers to anyone.

Haha. Had to stop right there.

Haha. Had to stop right there.

Why's that sport?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭almostover

Im not giving the fingers to anyone. Im fed up. Im being honest and i can tell you judging by the amount of people out and about the last 3 or 4 days others are sick and tired of this too.

Its a relatively mild illness in most and the actual number of cases and deaths are extremely low. At some point we need to find a better way of dealing with this.

This lockdown is ****ing crazy and someone needs to grow a pair and start to ease it.

Did you miss all the news about Italy and Spain over the last few weeks? What rock is it that you're living under?

The chances of you contracting maybe low but it's quite high for those working in the healthcare sector wholly end up treating selfish a**h*les like yourself.

The lockdown is crazy? I hear the WHO are paying good money for sound advice like that from highly qualified virologists like yourself

• Registered Users Posts: 1,846 ✭✭✭mulbot

Nicely said

almostover wrote: »
    Did you miss all the news about Italy and Spain over the last few weeks? What rock is it that you're living under?

The chances of you contracting maybe low but it's quite high for those working in the healthcare sector wholly end up treating selfish a**h*les like yourself.

The lockdown is crazy? I hear the WHO are paying good money for sound advice like that from highly qualified virologists like yourself

The WHOs inaction is half the reason we are where we are. So dont be virtue signalling and with that ****e.

Its " think of the hse heroes" brigade like yourself why people have a pain in their holes. People need to work. The world and economy needs to start turning again.

Get over it. We have done really well so far but its tims for a different approach now.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,845 ✭✭✭Antares35

This might just sum up the thinking of all the selfish numpties who are not abiding by the restrictions. I'm alright so f*ck everyone else. I don't care about old people dying without their relatives to comfort them. I don't care about pregnant women or immunocompromised children. Even if I get it I will probably be ok etc.

At the end of the day, it is just people being selfish and making exceptions of themselves so they can circumvent the rules. Oh but what if I exercise 2km as the crow flies. What if there is a low lying branch posing a health and safety risk and I have to go to the garden centre to buy something to remove it. What if I travel across 4 counties to do my shopping because I am allergic to the tile pattern in my local store etc.

It's all basically, "I'm alright Jack so to hell with everyone else" or "I can do this because I am a special case".

Antares35 wrote: »
    This might just sum up the thinking of all the selfish numpties who are not abiding by the restrictions. I'm alright so f*ck everyone else. I don't care about old people dying without their relatives to comfort them. I don't care about pregnant women or immunocompromised children. Even if I get it I will probably be ok etc.

At the end of the day, it is just people being selfish and making exceptions of themselves so they can circumvent the rules. Oh but what if I exercise 2km as the crow flies. What if there is a low lying branch posing a health and safety risk and I have to go to the garden centre to buy something to remove it. What if I travel across 4 counties to do my shopping because I am allergic to the tile pattern in my local store etc.

It's all basically, "I'm alright Jack so to hell with everyone else" or "I can do this because I am a special case".

Again just nonsense. I have no contact with at risk groups at all. That should have been factored in to this lockdown.

• Advertisement

Antares35 wrote: »

Are you advocating a lockdown until the economy is totally oliterated?

Advertisement