Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anyone willing to admit they're already starting to relax restrictions?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭BillyBiggs

celt262 wrote: »
    Ok so you cant get it a 2nd, 3rd time?

It seems you can get it a second time, experts haven’t been able to prove that you won’t.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭zerosugarbuzz

There is actually a magic point called R0, when the rate of spread is less than one person the virus is in decline. You then have to wait for that decline to happen before you get to a point where you can open society up, but never back to normal. Otherwise we just go back to the start and it will all have been for nothing.

There is another measure and that is submissions to hospital and ICU beds.

Like it or not option 2 is going to have to happen sooner or later. Sooner, and we may be able to put pull back enough economic activity to maintain our services. Later, there will be nothing to pay for the hospitals with so they won’t exist. About time people woke up from their panics and faced reality.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,852 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

Given how **** this situation is and the fact there is no plan , of course many people will start thinking " I'm not at risk, many people have had it and didnt even know it or symptoms very mild " I'm not locking myself up. It was obvious this would happen.

The large amount of nursing home deaths and poor testing is the governments fault!

The economy should re-open to the point of where hospitals are at full capacity... that's the balance in my opinion....

BillyBiggs wrote: »
    It seems you can get it a second time, experts haven’t been able to prove that you won’t.

You can get the flu many times, this is a new strain of flu, Nothing new here.

Exactly and we never hid away from the ordinary flu, though I know Covid-19 is more severe. There won’t be a vaccine for a year I’d imagine. There won’t be any magic pill to alleviate Covid-19 symptoms either. We need to reopen in a measure way, for example leave 30 people into a cinema screening that would normally cater for 120 people.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,051 ✭✭✭patnor1011

Really enjoying lockdown myself to be honest. I could do this forever.

I really hope there are some lasting benefits to this.

There should be legislation to ban people from the workplace when they are ill and in turn keep them off public transport.

We also need legislation around public hygiene and regular disinfecting of public places and work places.

Some legislation around physical distancing, for example if I ask someone to please give me some space they should have to do it. This in turn would help with overcrowding on public transport.

People need to start changes voluntarily and from the bottom up. Banning and outlawing seldom works.
    What is the point in disinfecting public and work places when people cant keep their house clean? That is where you spend majority or most of the time.
    Say one thing for example which can be implemented quite easily and require next to no effort while improving hygiene and cleanliness dramatically.
    Take off your dirty shoes the moment you step befind your front door.
    Absolute trivial thing which is being practised in most of the eastern europe yet for some reason being dismissed as "cultural thing". You are not going to bring all kind of microbes, viruses and parasites into your kitchen and bedroom and your foots will be forever grateful that they do not need to sweat up all day in the shoes or trainers.
    Start cooking more, that way you will know what you eat and what is getting in your body.
    People need to get their house in order when they want to plan big things for the country.

We’re here to live, not survive.

6 weeks into this and already it’s “we’re here to live, not survive” That’s embarrassing to be honest, 6 weeks???

Actually, no, the game is to survive. “Living” is a Luxury that some people on earth have been blessed with

Everyone needs to chill out and follow the guidelines. Yes I find it very hard too like all of us. But if we all start deciding “what’s best for us” it just won’t work.

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭Nutty Nutritionist

I still don’t get why 2km is the magic number, as well as 6ft distancing. Zero science to back either recommendation up. The question of the virus theory is being brought very much to the forefront by many, as there is little true science to back it up either.

The hand sanitiser we have been warned about for years as causing issues with hormone imbalances, and being too clean, also has forced me to question the recommendations.

So in a nutshell, I am not too confident about the information I am being given, and therefore carry on my life as normal as I can given the house arrests.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,077 ✭✭✭Away With The Fairies

This is not a flu and is not a new strain of flu.

I still don’t get why 2km is the magic number, as well as 6ft distancing. Zero science to back either recommendation up.

Look at the high numbers that Dublin has. Could you imagine if their was no 2km limit. The whole country would be infected in a few days.

How? Think of all the Dubs travelling to all corners of our beautiful country. This is just one example.

Science is not required, this is basic stuff
    I’m a Dub by the way

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 35 Unelected CMO

This is not a flu not is not a new strain of flu.

Source?

• Registered Users Posts: 29,319 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

So in a nutshell, I am not too confident about the information I am being given, and therefore carry on my life as normal as I can given the house arrests.

Maybe you should test your ideas by spending some time around people with the virus, just to see what happens

I still don’t get why 2km is the magic number, as well as 6ft distancing. Zero science to back either recommendation up. The question of the virus theory is being brought very much to the forefront by many, as there is little true science to back it up either.

The hand sanitiser we have been warned about for years as causing issues with hormone imbalances, and being too clean, also has forced me to question the recommendations.

Great points. You can add the initial “don’t wear a face mask” and the subsequent “do wear a face mask” into the mix.

Another one I don’t get is self-quarantining for two weeks if you’ve travelled from abroad. Does that mean if the whole country self-quarantined for two weeks the virus would magically disappear?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,779 ✭✭✭Benimar

We are under house arrest now are we? Well fcuk me!:rolleyes:

Another one I don’t get is self-quarantining for two weeks if you’ve travelled from abroad. Does that mean if the whole country self-quarantined for two weeks the virus would magically disappear?

To keep it short, no it doesn’t mean that.
    It just means that if you are infected, you won’t spread it.
    Not sure if you’re serious so won’t go into more detail

The sad truth is, that No country could self quarantine that well, hence the title of this thread

Really? It’s actually less than a flu.

1.47 or thereabouts.

https://youtu.be/duItic-9-dQ

To keep it short, no it doesn’t mean that.
    It just means that if you are infected, you won’t spread it.
    Not sure if you’re serious so won’t go into more detail

I am serious. Does it not suggest that Ireland’s infection rates should be way less with the lockdown?

I am serious. Does it not suggest that Ireland’s infection rates should be way less with the lockdown?

What lockdown, look at all the muppets who are making up their own rules. (This is not aimed at you) but the very title of this thread says a lot

I believe a big chunk of the infection took hold before the “lockdown”

Look at the high numbers that Dublin has. Could you imagine if their was no 2km limit. The whole country would be infected in a few days.

How? Think of all the Dubs travelling to all corners of our beautiful country. This is just one example.

Science is not required, this is basic stuff
    I’m a Dub by the way

And my family are a large business of Undertakers. The numbers are not accurate. We have on average 100 deaths in Ireland per day.

Every single death cert is listed as COVID-19. So you get killed by a car, COVID-19. You fall out or an aeroplane, COVID-19.

My relations are in and out of hospitals, as they always are. This is no more than a seasonal cold. 1989 American Medical Association’s Encyclopedia of Medicine will confirm this for you if you look it up.

Not sure where you are getting your facts from.

• Advertisement

And my family are a large business of Undertakers. The numbers are not accurate. We have on average 100 deaths in Ireland per day.

Every single death cert is listed as COVID-19. So you get killed by a car, COVID-19. You fall out or an aeroplane, COVID-19.

My relations are in and out of hospitals, as they always are. This is no more than a seasonal cold. 1989 American Medical Association’s Encyclopedia of Medicine will confirm this for you if you look it up.

I’m getting my facts from the daily Irish news conferences that I watch every single day.

Excuse me for completely ignoring everything you are saying
    Good day to your sir

Great points. You can add the initial “don’t wear a face mask” and the subsequent “do wear a face mask” into the mix.

The contradictions are endless..... Makes you wonder.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,583 ✭✭✭✭kippy

Let me guess, you're an antivaxer, believe in fairies, are a climate change denier are an avid Trump supporter?
    At this stage anyone taking a stance similar to your own, after all that has happened globally and scientific evidence available, should be stamped with a tattoo right in the middle of the forehead, just to make sure when this has passed, all you come into contact with know how to treat you.

https://www.who.int/news-room/q-a-detail/q-a-similarities-and-differences-covid-19-and-influenza#:~:text=The%20speed%20of%20transmission%20is,major%20driver%20of%20transmission.

I should have said very like the flu, link from CRO, much of a muchness.

Antares35 wrote: »
    No, I am just sick and tired of people making special exceptions of themselves instead of just abiding by the restrictions for (what could have been) a relatively short time period.

Okay I’m with you on the fact that people should follow the rules during a lockdown. But you are naive if you think a lockdown can be short. These lockdowns will go on forever, as there is no magical reopening date we can pick on the calendar.

And if my auntie had balls she'd be my uncle.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,583 ✭✭✭✭kippy

Okay I’m with you on the fact that people should follow the rules during a lockdown. But you are naive if you think a lockdown can be short. These lockdowns will go on forever, as there is no magical reopening date we can pick on the calendar.

The won't go on forever and various restrictions will be relaxed then tightened up again if needed.
    One day at a time.

• Registered Users Posts: 604 ✭✭✭a_squirrelman

Yeah ok, thanks for making that up.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,077 ✭✭✭Away With The Fairies

Source?

Ah for the love of God...

Some names this virus has been called

- coronavirus
    - SARS CoV 2
    - Covid 19

Notice how there's no Flu in any of those? Because if it was a flu it would be named bat flu. Something like how they named the swine flu.

The big word in my list is SARS... It's a respiratory illness.

• Advertisement

I’m getting my facts from the daily Irish news conferences that I watch every single day.

Excuse me for completely ignoring everything you are saying
    Good day to your sir

Relying on mainstream media? Mostly owned by the government?

Rather than info from someone actually working on the - I’ll say “second line” who sees this every day, burying the deceased and handling death certs. Ok!!

Advertisement