Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anyone willing to admit they're already starting to relax restrictions?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

And my family are a large business of Undertakers. The numbers are not accurate. We have on average 100 deaths in Ireland per day.

Every single death cert is listed as COVID-19. So you get killed by a car, COVID-19. You fall out or an aeroplane, COVID-19.

My relations are in and out of hospitals, as they always are. This is no more than a seasonal cold. 1989 American Medical Association’s Encyclopedia of Medicine will confirm this for you if you look it up.

Not sure where you are getting your facts from.

You are completely making stuff up.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,151 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

BillyBiggs wrote: »
    Another one I don’t get is self-quarantining for two weeks if you’ve travelled from abroad. Does that mean if the whole country self-quarantined for two weeks the virus would magically disappear?
    If the whole country actually quarantined for two weeks, pretty much yes, the virus would all but disappear. It needs a host to live and reproduce. Stop the transmission and it can't do that. It's essentially how vaccines work. It's how we removed smallpox from the population. It had no hosts to jump to. It was homeless.

That's perfect world stuff though as a whole population simply can't quarantine for two weeks. However, it's not an either or approach, if the vast majority of infected people self-quarantined it massively impacts the spread of the virus. Along with other spread reducers available to us. Though the Irish authorities are only doing some of them. They could and should do more.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭zerosugarbuzz

And if my auntie had balls she'd be my uncle.

Not these days, that would be politically incorrect.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

Threadd is approaching full stupid territory.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,051 ✭✭✭patnor1011

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    Maybe you should test your ideas by spending some time around people with the virus, just to see what happens

If you are young and relatively healthy without any serious underlying health problem not much happens to you.
    Over half of infected people do not have any symptoms. NONE.

On the other hand if you are older and do have some other medical issues you should be careful. You are the one at most at the risk so take adequate precatution.

• Advertisement

And my family are a large business of Undertakers. The numbers are not accurate. We have on average 100 deaths in Ireland per day.

Every single death cert is listed as COVID-19. So you get killed by a car, COVID-19. You fall out or an aeroplane, COVID-19.

My relations are in and out of hospitals, as they always are. This is no more than a seasonal cold. 1989 American Medical Association’s Encyclopedia of Medicine will confirm this for you if you look it up.

In an average year there are sound 32,000 deaths. The numbers being reported aren’t really going to increase that number substantially for 2020 that I can see. People need to take a step back and look at the cold hard facts of this instead of through a thick cloud of emotional panic and child like fear. Do the maths peeps.

patnor1011 wrote: »
    If you are young and relatively healthy without any serious underlying health problem not much happens to you.

On the other hand if you are older and do have some other medical issues you should be careful. You are the one at most at the risk so take adequate precatution.

Absolutely. The sooner we can get on with exactly this the better.

And someone in the west needs to have a stern chat with someone in China about the cause of all this.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,570 ✭✭✭RandomName2

doylefe wrote: »
    And what about your tinfoil hat?

I think you're batting for the wrong camp there, buddy

1587363803756.jpg

1587364002813.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 4,426 ✭✭✭maestroamado

I read there was complaints about groups of cyclists, they are an arrogant lot anyway, i just seen one group of about 6.
    I do see lots of cyclists in one or two which for me is fine, I probably stay within 5km from house for most part.
    Does anyone know if there is a test that can detect if people had it and recovered without treatment?
    I actually think we will all pretty well be exposed to it and the way forward will this herd immunity.

BillyBiggs wrote: »
    Okay I’m with you on the fact that people should follow the rules during a lockdown. But you are naive if you think a lockdown can be short. These lockdowns will go on forever, as there is no magical reopening date we can pick on the calendar.

Ireland does not have infrastructure to support any meaningful lockdown. It is starting to crack now and will disintegrate quite fast.
    Have a look out of a window - traffic is beginig to look normal and people are out and about. Quite a few european countries are opening shops and factories.
    Even China which is essentially police state with enormous army was not able to maintain lockdown of single province for long. Not to mention whole country.

Data are in and they show what is happening and what we need to do.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,151 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

You have zero clue whether this is the case. You certainly can't be so confident to state that. We don't know. Nobody does, yet. Yes it seems asymptomatic cases are common, but nobody with any actual evidence behind them is saying half. Pick any figure out of the air for fun and you'd be about as "right" on current evidence.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,600 ✭✭✭BanditLuke

Lies.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,070 ✭✭✭Mister Vain

There's definitely more traffic on the roads and less checkpoints.

• Registered Users Posts: 527 ✭✭✭sterz

I read there was complaints about groups of cyclists, they are an arrogant lot anyway, i just seen one group of about 6.
    I do see lots of cyclists in one or two which for me is fine, I probably stay within 5km from house for most part.

Ha, having a generalised pop at cyclists being arrogant and then following that up by saying you break the 2km restriction.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,600 ✭✭✭BanditLuke

Arghus wrote: »
    Threadd is approaching full stupid territory.

I didn't know the virus attacked ones intelligence also. This thread has blown that out of the water.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,077 ✭✭✭Away With The Fairies

Wibbs wrote: »
    You have zero clue whether this is the case. You certainly can't be so confident to state that. We don't know. Nobody does, yet. Yes it seems asymptomatic cases are common, but nobody with any actual evidence behind them is saying half. Pick any figure out of the air for fun and you'd be about as "right" on current evidence.

Being asymptomatic isn't a good thing either... Nobody knows if the virus lingers on and can resurface like the chicken pox/shingles. People are getting strokes from this and it's not just old people either.

You can get the flu many times, this is a new strain of flu, Nothing new here.

I don't know of any evidence to say that either SARS-CoV-1 or SARS-CoV-2 are strains of influenza.

229E
    NL63
    OC43
    HKU1

These are all types of coronavirus. I don't think any of them are strains of influenza.

There's definitely more traffic on the roads and less checkpoints.

Maybe the guards are sick now and not enough out there.

Does anyone know if there is a test that can detect if people had it and recovered without treatment?
    I actually think we will all pretty well be exposed to it and the way forward will this herd immunity.

I'm a cyclist and miss it more than anything else during this lockdown. I'd give anything to get out for a long spin some morning but I'm not going to do it until I get the green light. Anyone cycling in groups and beyond the 2km is a selfish pr*ck.

I don't know of any evidence to say that either SARS-CoV-1 or SARS-CoV-2 are strains of influenza.

229E
    NL63
    OC43
    HKU1

These are all types of coronavirus. I don't think any of them are strains of influenza.
    They're not R. At this stage anyone who believes this virus is a strain of flu is either ignorant of basic facts or an idiot.

• Advertisement

On the contrary there is a lot of research into this.
    It is so mild that half of infected people are asymptomatic, shown in early data from the Diamond Princess ship, and then in Iceland and Italy.
    Italy actually report 50-75% of infections as asymptomatic.

So yes, we know. Data are in.

https://www.eurosurveillance.org/content/10.2807/1560-7917.ES.2020.25.10.2000180

https://www.government.is/news/article/2020/03/15/Large-scale-testing-of-general-population-in-Iceland-underway/

https://www.repubblica.it/salute/medicina-e-ricerca/2020/03/16/news/coronavirus_studio_il_50-75_dei_casi_a_vo_sono_asintomatici_e_molto_contagiosi-251474302/?ref=RHPPTP-BH-I251454518-C12-P3-S2.4-T1

At least some of your post is a lie, probably to support some agenda that you have going, but not being hypocritical means providing evidence, so here

https://www.thejournal.ie/debunked-covid-19-deaths-respiratory-illnesses-compared-5076523-Apr2020/

They're not R. At this stage anyone who believes this virus is a strain of flu is either ignorant of basic facts or an idiot.

Probably makes them feel better. The sooner we accept reality and what it is, the better.

It is so mild that half of infected people are asymptomatic, shown in early data from the Diamond Princess ship, and then in Iceland and Italy.

So yes. We know. Data are in.

https://www.eurosurveillance.org/content/10.2807/1560-7917.ES.2020.25.10.2000180

https://www.government.is/news/article/2020/03/15/Large-scale-testing-of-general-population-in-Iceland-underway/
    The Iceland link says no such thing. The Diamond princess ship data is more clear, but extrapolating that out to a non ship bound population is not so clear. You'll note they take snapshots of data on symptoms. Has there been follow up of the asymptomatic people since they left the ship? Also note this: The posterior median estimate of the true proportion of asymptomatic individuals among the reported asymptomatic cases is 0.35 (95% credible interval (CrI): 0.30–0.39), with the estimated total number of the true asymptomatic cases at 113.3 (95%CrI: 98.2–128.3) and the estimated asymptomatic proportion (among all infected cases) at 17.9% (95%CrI: 15.5–20.2%). 15.5–20.2% is not 50%, that is not half.

Maybe the guards are sick now and not enough out there.

I love the way people’s user names (my own included) often reveal something about them 🀣

So yes, we know. Data are in.

https://www.repubblica.it/salute/medicina-e-ricerca/2020/03/16/news/coronavirus_studio_il_50-75_dei_casi_a_vo_sono_asintomatici_e_molto_contagiosi-251474302/?ref=RHPPTP-BH-I251454518-C12-P3-S2.4-T1

People actually feel fine with this for a few days. All of a sudden they take a turn, show up to hospital with very low oxygen... That's not mild.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,820 ✭✭✭smelly sock

Really enjoying lockdown myself to be honest. I could do this forever.

I really hope there are some lasting benefits to this.

There should be legislation to ban people from the workplace when they are ill and in turn keep them off public transport.

We also need legislation around public hygiene and regular disinfecting of public places and work places.

Some legislation around physical distancing, for example if I ask someone to please give me some space they should have to do it. This in turn would help with overcrowding on public transport.

Would you apply for a job in the handwashing police? Crazy ****e.

The Iceland link says no such thing. The Diamond princess ship data is more clear, but extrapolating that out to a non ship bound population is not so clear. You'll note they take snapshots of data on symptoms. Has there been follow up of the asymptomatic people since they left the ship? Also note this: The posterior median estimate of the true proportion of asymptomatic individuals among the reported asymptomatic cases is 0.35 (95% credible interval (CrI): 0.30–0.39), with the estimated total number of the true asymptomatic cases at 113.3 (95%CrI: 98.2–128.3) and the estimated asymptomatic proportion (among all infected cases) at 17.9% (95%CrI: 15.5–20.2%). 15.5–20.2% is not 50%, that is not half.

OK. How do you interpret Italian data? I forgot to insert link so it does not show on your reply where you quoted me.

People actually feel fine with this for a few days. All of a sudden they take a turn, show up to hospital with very low oxygen... That's not mild.
    To be fair it is for the vast majority of people who catch Covid19 a "mild" illness. That is they either feel fine, or a bit low or "sick as a pig", but don't require medical treatment. That majority thins down the older people are, or how health compromised they are, even how male they are, like for pretty much any infection.

This is not the 1918 flu that killed healthy 25 year olds in the millions. It's certainly not like smallpox that killed between a third and half of those infected of all ages.

It's killing people you'd mostly "expect" it to kill. Old people are more likely to die than young, men die younger than women, the already sick with systemic conditions are more likely to die that those without them. That's who the virus is killing. Even then it's not killing half of any of those groups. Not even close. It's a nasty virus yes, but compared to the pandemics in human history it's cute little puppy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭Nutty Nutritionist

BanditLuke wrote: »
    Lies.

Which part?

Advertisement