Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anyone willing to admit they're already starting to relax restrictions?

Options

Comments

Would you apply for a job in the handwashing police? Crazy ****e.
    Where have I mentioned hand washing should be policed?

But while you are on the subject, even before covid-19 I have always found the vast majority of people are just dirty disgusting people who never wash their hands especially when using public and workplace toilets. It bloody well should be policed, I dont want you faecal matter on my fingers, so yeah dirty ****ers should be forced to wash their hands.

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭Nutty Nutritionist

Arghus wrote: »
    You are completely making stuff up.

Please be more specific?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,171 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

I'm a cyclist and miss it more than anything else during this lockdown. I'd give anything to get out for a long spin some morning but I'm not going to do it until I get the green light. Anyone cycling in groups and beyond the 2km is a selfish pr*ck.

I'm passing cyclists on the road every day, must have passed 10 this morning. Haven't met any in groups though.
    The 2km thing is absolute bull****, I read this morning they might relax it up to 10km on the 5th of may, more bull**** it's a stupid rule, to stop the spread all we need to do is keep our distance, whether that's 2km from home or 200km it makes no odds, won't be long before Tony and his gang of unaccountable ministerial appointed friends are told to go f themselves.
    He was championing killing babies not so long ago, now he wants to save lives, give me a break.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,051 ✭✭✭patnor1011

People actually feel fine with this for a few days. All of a sudden they take a turn, show up to hospital with very low oxygen... That's not mild.

All I am saying time and again is that we should focus on vulnerable people. Would you not agree that majority of cases of this virus infection were mild without hospitalisation required?
    The only people hospitalized are old and vulnerable people which need to be taken care of but how can we do this when country is frozen still?
    Even China or Italy at its worst only quarantined or locked down parts of their country. We went a step more yet for some reason people fail to see that his lockdown is only imaginary. Tens of thousands of people still working to maintain this illusion that we do something when in fact we should direct energy and resources directly to where they are needed.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,205 ✭✭✭VonLuck

I'm passing cyclists on the road every day, must have passed 10 this morning. Haven't met any in groups though.
    The 2km thing is absolute bull****, I read this morning they might relax it up to 10km on the 5th of may, more bull**** it's a stupid rule, to stop the spread all we need to do is keep our distance, whether that's 2km from home or 200km it makes no odds, won't be long before Tony and his gang of unaccountable ministerial appointed friends are told to go f themselves.
    He was championing killing babies not so long ago, now he wants to save lives, give me a break.

The argument "what difference is going insert distance here going to make compared to 2km" is just nonsensical. The reason it was specified by the government is to limit the spread between communities / areas.

The government knows that a minority of people are not going to follow the rules, or that they will push the limits a bit and that is manageable. If say 1 in 20 people go 3km for their jog, the risk is minimal. But if the government actually told the public that 3km is low risk, then everyone would be out doing it, then the risk would increase.

Just be sensible and try to follow the restrictions in so far as is possible so that we don't have to endure this any longer than necessary.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,151 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

patnor1011 wrote: »
    That was one village of 3000 people and the doctor involved is warning that at any one time half of people may be asymptomatic, but are shedding virus and infectious to the other half. Asymptomatic today doesn't mean asymptomatic tomorrow.

Every infection is asymptomatic until it's not. Ever catch a head cold, or the flu? You were asymptomatic but infected for two to three days before the snotters and feeling sh1te. To test the true level of asymptomatic cases throughout the course of an illness in a population you have to gather the data after everybody in that population has been exposed. Anything else is a snapshot. This is how they know for example that up to a third of people infected with influenza have no symptoms, or very mild symptoms.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

All I am saying time and again is that we should focus on vulnerable people. Would you not agree that majority of cases of this virus infection were mild without hospitalisation required?
    The only people hospitalized are old and vulnerable people which need to be taken care of but how can we do this when country is frozen still?
    Even China or Italy at its worst only quarantined or locked down parts of their country. We went a step more yet for some reason people fail to see that his lockdown is only imaginary. Tens of thousands of people still working to maintain this illusion that we do something when in fact we should direct energy and resources directly to where they are needed.
    Many people would consider themselves not at risk and its other people who will end up in hospital not them. Until it happens.

Our hospitals are stretched even during a lockdown and thousands of healthcare workers falling ill. Doesnt take a genius to figure out what happens if the lockdown is lifted or even eased.

kippy wrote: »
    Let me guess, you're an antivaxer, believe in fairies, are a climate change denier are an avid Trump supporter?
    At this stage anyone taking a stance similar to your own, after all that has happened globally and scientific evidence available, should be stamped with a tattoo right in the middle of the forehead, just to make sure when this has passed, all you come into contact with know how to treat you.

Hard facts from someone with relations working in the industry are still hard to swallow (for some). My family have less to do than this time last year...but let’s ignore that.

Keep your blinkers on.

With this deadly, killing virus, lets hang tight for the “second wave”.

VonLuck wrote: »
    The argument "what difference is going insert distance here going to make compared to 2km" is just nonsensical. The reason it was specified by the government is to limit the spread between communities / areas.

The government knows that a minority of people are not going to follow the rules, or that they will push the limits a bit and that is manageable. If say 1 in 20 people go 3km for their jog, the risk is minimal. But if the government actually told the public that 3km is low risk, then everyone would be out doing it, then the risk would increase.

Just be sensible and try to follow the restrictions in so far as is possible so that we don't have to endure this any longer than necessary.

It's nonsense. Keep you distance, wash your hands, there's plenty of people out and about of all ages. It's rules for sheep.

My family have less to do than this time last year...but let’s ignore that.

So the restrictions are working. Basically you want more people to die to drum up some business. A global pandemic should be booming business for you, understandable you're upset.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,151 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

But while you are on the subject, even before covid-19 I have always found the vast majority of people are just dirty disgusting people who never wash their hands especially when using public and workplace toilets.
    Oooooh kay.... you believe the "vast majority of people are just dirty disgusting people"? Jaysus. I dunno what to say to that TBH. Doesn't exactly sound that mentally healthy an opinion. Not exactly good for physical health either. The massive rise of allergies over the last few decades has been traced to a) too many antibiotics, particularly in younger years and clean freaks over sterilising the environment.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

Wibbs wrote: »
    Oooooh kay.... you believe the "vast majority of people are just dirty disgusting people"? Jaysus. I dunno what to say to that TBH. Doesn't exactly sound that mentally healthy an opinion. Not exactly good for physical health either. The massive rise of allergies over the last few decades has been traced to a) too many antibiotics, particularly in younger years and clean freaks over sterilising the environment.
    Ok, enjoy eating peoples **** next time you're licking crisps off your fingers.

Ha, I cant believe I'm arguing with someone over importance of washing your hands. Ah well, maybe lockdown is getting to me after all. But as I've said before, I'm loving avoiding society and glad I'm arguing with you online and not in the Jack's at work.

Our hospitals are stretched even during a lockdown
    Actually they've rarely been this empty. Which is another concern, namely that people with other life threatening conditions are not getting the same medical support they were before this.

Ok, enjoy eating peoples **** next time you're licking crisps off your fingers.
    Thanks, I will. Adds flavour. BTW don't ever get a bacteriologist in to swab the items you use in your daily life. You'll likely have a meltdown over the quantity of "germs" they'll find. Including those found in the oul poo. Do you ever flush your jacks with the lid up? Now look at your toothbrush standing a few feet away...

hqdefault.jpg

BillyBiggs wrote: »
    Another one I don’t get is self-quarantining for two weeks if you’ve travelled from abroad. Does that mean if the whole country self-quarantined for two weeks the virus would magically disappear?

That’s what we were told originally. First it was optional, then “the storm” came and full house arrest. But then the magical 14 days were up and it was “let’s keep this going”. Now the 5th May is almost upon us and they are looking at extending it. I don’t know how Leo et al, supermarket staff, undertakers etc aren’t all dropping like flies nor wearing masks.

Nobody appears to be concerned about the environmental issues of these disposable gloves and masks. It’s like global change has been put on the back burner.

In Australia the hairdressers have remained open (with no virus issues) but families are not allowed visit one another. Now the last time I attended a hairdresser they definitely did not cut my hair using any distancing.

Personally I am pretty confused about all information. How does a virus not enter a hairdresser salon, nor any of our government need to wear gloves or masks?

The mind boggles.

Bang on Wibbs, I keep my toothbrush in the press as I know not everyone flushes with the lid down, I've also been using hand santiser for years and have it in the office as I'm handling people's stuff the whole time. Hygeine is a new concept to a lot of people and there freaking out about out about it yet still don't know how to flush a toilet safely.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,077 ✭✭✭Away With The Fairies

I don't know what mild is. I cannot agree with that. I know someone who thought they were mild but ended up in the hospital.

So the restrictions are working. Basically you want more people to die to drum up some business. A global pandemic should be booming business for you, understandable you're upset.

Trust me. My family are always busy. That’s just how death rolls.

When the world goes in to a deep depression, there will still be an endless amount of work.

Keep fighting the good fight.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,916 Mod ✭✭✭✭iguana

It's a nasty virus yes, but compared to the pandemics in human history it's cute little puppy.

I've often thought that if you went back at least 100 years in time and told someone about this virus and explained that we'd shut down most of our society to stay home and slow it's spread, they'd look at you like you had two heads. A virus that kills mainly old and otherwise sick people would be something that everyone would just take in their stride until very recently. That's not to say we should just ignore it now. We can save people and we should. But it goes to show how much society has changed. We're not willing to let our health systems get overwhelmed if we can help it. We have a health system that can be overwhelmed. We have been able to save people with all sorts of illnesses from cancer to those who have had organ transplants, who wouldn't have lived 100 years ago, and now we're going to work to stop this virus from hurting them too. We have billionaires like Bill Gates planning a vaccine production strategy which will deliberately waste tens of billions of dollars in order to speed up how fast we can vaccinate against this virus.

Obviously there is a balance to be struck. We can't let people lose their livelihoods and hurt the economy so much that other people die in the future due to economic fallout. But we live in a time where we value our health system and our vulnerable enough to make ourselves miserable in order to save as many people as we can, even though as little as 100 years ago most of those people wouldn't even be alive anyway.

That’s what we were told originally. First it was optional, then “the storm” came and full house arrest. But then the magical 14 days were up and it was “let’s keep this going”. Now the 5th May is almost upon us and they are looking at extending it. I don’t know how Leo et al, supermarket staff, undertakers etc aren’t all dropping like flies nor wearing masks.

Nobody appears to be concerned about the environmental issues of these disposable gloves and masks. It’s like global change has been put on the back burner.

In Australia the hairdressers have remained open (with no virus issues) but families are not allowed visit one another. Now the last time I attended a hairdresser they definitely did not cut my hair using any distancing.

Personally I am pretty confused about all information. How does a virus not enter a hairdresser salon, nor any of our government need to wear gloves or masks?

The mind boggles.
    You're missing the point. People still need to catch the virus, they just need to control it so that the health service can cope. So yes people will catch it in the hair dressers, but will not then go on to spread it to all their family, workforce and local pub. And in turn each one of those would have then gone on to spread it to their family, work force etc.

• Advertisement

I don't know what mild is. I cannot agree with that. I know someone who thought they were mild but ended up in the hospital.
    And they were mild until they needed hospitalisation. The vast majority stay mild and don't.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,432 ✭✭✭SusanC10

Just got word this morning that a friend's husband has now been hospitalised with this virus. Late 40s. No health problems previously. Would be fitter than most people our age that we know. No idea where he contracted it as working from home since end March.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,187 ✭✭✭FVP3

And my family are a large business of Undertakers. The numbers are not accurate. We have on average 100 deaths in Ireland per day.

You would probably need to source that, the figures I see from England show a big rise in deaths in the last few weeks.

https://www.bbc.com/news/health-52278825

Every single death cert is listed as COVID-19. So you get killed by a car, COVID-19. You fall out or an aeroplane, COVID-19.

This is an extraordinary claim and requires extraordinary proof? Are you really saying that if there is car crash, like in Roscommon recently, the cause of death is marked as Covid? Isnt there somewhere online we can verify this?
    My relations are in and out of hospitals, as they always are. This is no more than a seasonal cold. 1989 American Medical Association’s Encyclopedia of Medicine will confirm this for you if you look it up.

The 1989 medical association's Encyclopedia of medicine could only be useful if they guys writing it had a time machine. Also what did it say?
    Not sure where you are getting your facts from.

Not the same place as you apparently.

And they were mild until they needed hospitalisation. The vast majority stay mild and don't.

Until they do. And they never thought it would happen to them. And sure they've been over to granny and gramps and now they feel terrible they could be responsible for their deaths.

Dont know about you, but I dont want to die or have my parents and elderly family die just because some clown doesnt see the point and has been going around coughing and sneezing all over everything.

iguana wrote: »
    I've often thought that if you went back at least 100 years in time and told someone about this virus and explained that we'd shut down most of our society to stay home and slow it's spread, they'd look at you like you had two heads. A virus that kills mainly old and otherwise sick people would be something that everyone would just take in their stride until very recently. That's not to say we should just ignore it now. We can save people and we should. But it goes to show how much society has changed.
    Very much so. Go back say 200 years and at least a third of people reading this wouldn't have made it out of childhood alive, a goodly chunk wouldn't have made it through pregnancy and birth, both mothers and babies(in Rome women would make their wills when they first got pregnant). Outside of pandemics and war, if they did make it to adulthood most could expect to see 70(more like 60 for the poor, 80 for the rich).

I said this before, but I reckon what this virus has done has removed a large part of the medical science safety net of the last centuries progress. But imagine that tomorrow all antibiotics stopped working. It would make this virus look like a picnic.

• Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭Captcha

People who play video games or have indoor hobbies are saving humanity. Video gamers are also the smartest and happiest people in the world.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,187 ✭✭✭FVP3

SusanC10 wrote: »
    Just got word this morning that a friend's husband has now been hospitalised with this virus. Late 40s. No health problems previously. Would be fitter than most people our age that we know. No idea where he contracted it as working from home since end March.

It's a pretty insidious virus. A couple of people at work have it now, all housebound for the last 3-4 weeks, from a week before the full lockdown.

• Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭Das Reich

iguana wrote: »
    I've often thought that if you went back at least 100 years in time and told someone about this virus and explained that we'd shut down most of our society to stay home and slow it's spread, they'd look at you like you had two heads. A virus that kills mainly old and otherwise sick people would be something that everyone would just take in their stride until very recently. That's not to say we should just ignore it now. We can save people and we should. But it goes to show how much society has changed. We're not willing to let our health systems get overwhelmed if we can help it. We have a health system that can be overwhelmed. We have been able to save people with all sorts of illnesses from cancer to those who have had organ transplants, who wouldn't have lived 100 years ago, and now we're going to work to stop this virus from hurting them too. We have billionaires like Bill Gates planning a vaccine production strategy which will deliberately waste tens of billions of dollars in order to speed up how fast we can vaccinate against this virus.

Obviously there is a balance to be struck. We can't let people lose their livelihoods and hurt the economy so much that other people die in the future due to economic fallout. But we live in a time where we value our health system and our vulnerable enough to make ourselves miserable in order to save as many people as we can, even though as little as 100 years ago most of those people wouldn't even be alive anyway.

And the amount of people over 60 years old at the time (just after the Great War) and very small. And way more healthier than us with nearly no obese even watching things from just 30 years ago you would see people much more skinny.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 510 ✭✭✭trapp

FVP3 wrote: »
    It's a pretty insidious virus. A couple of people at work have it now, all housebound for the last 3-4 weeks, from a week before the full lockdown.

Desar oh dear oh dear my poor friend will you ever stop posting such nonsense.

For most people who get it the illness will be mild.

Look at Tubridy for instance, back at work quite quickly.

Try and find your tinfoil my poor poor man.

• Advertisement

SusanC10 wrote: »

Sad to hear, it can take up to 28 days to appear from reports I read early on when it was in China, fitness would help but there's reports coming out now that smokers are less likely to get it, France has gone as far as restricting sales of nicotine patches etc to pharmacy only and trial are under way with patients,

https://www.ft.com/content/1fe1dda2-bec5-426b-8cfc-a7c2e5a4b139

https://www.marketwatch.com/story/this-new-evidence-shows-nicotine-might-prevent-smokers-from-catching-coronavirus-2020-04-24

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-52415793

Those mad for a cycle might be best off getting a box of Marlborough.

Advertisement