Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anyone willing to admit they're already starting to relax restrictions?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 173 ✭✭Podge201

The tour de France boys are out and well outside their 2km. If they kept single file to keep themselves less obtrusive but no out in doubles and peloton groups.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,077 ✭✭✭Away With The Fairies

SusanC10 wrote: »
    Just got word this morning that a friend's husband has now been hospitalised with this virus. Late 40s. No health problems previously. Would be fitter than most people our age that we know. No idea where he contracted it as working from home since end March.

Has he had any contact with the outside world at all in the past month. It's very hard to lock ourselves up, he would still need to go shopping at the very least. Or somebody brought the virus into the house, kids mixing outside, postman bringing mail, alot of home deliveries and packages lately (virus can be on the outside envelope or package if the delivery person sneezed). Everything brought into a house should be considered contaminated.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 510 ✭✭✭trapp

Sad to hear, it can take up to 28 days to appear from reports I read early on when it was in China, fitness would help but there's reports coming out now that smokers are less likely to get it, France has gone as far as restricting sales of nicotine patches etc to pharmacy only and trial are under way with patients,

https://www.ft.com/content/1fe1dda2-bec5-426b-8cfc-a7c2e5a4b139

https://www.marketwatch.com/story/this-new-evidence-shows-nicotine-might-prevent-smokers-from-catching-coronavirus-2020-04-24

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-52415793

Those mad for a cycle might be best off getting a box of Marlborough.

Dear oh dear oh dear

Not a clue.

Dont believe such nonsense my poor man.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,171 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

trapp wrote: »
    Dear oh dear oh dear

Not a clue.

It doesn't appear to be fake news.

FVP3 wrote: »
    It's a pretty insidious virus. A couple of people at work have it now, all housebound for the last 3-4 weeks, from a week before the full lockdown.
    Surely they or someone in the house has been going shopping? You're not invincible when you go out for a walk either. Online deliveries are also a risk.

Risks during lockdown are certainly negligible compared to being out in society but there are still risks there all the same. Especially shopping and considering you are mixing with selfidh, inconsiderate ignoramouses of the likes witnessed in online forums.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,151 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Until they do. And they never thought it would happen to them. And sure they've been over to granny and gramps and now they feel terrible they could be responsible for their deaths.
    It is still a minority of people who get seriously ill and a further minority who die from it. It's a tragedy if it's you or a loved one and that feels like a majority for you, but it's not.
    Dont know about you, but I dont want to die or have my parents and elderly family die just because some clown doesnt see the point and has been going around coughing and sneezing all over everything.
    Which is why I've been in strong support all along for people wearing masks in public indoor shared spaces. It would massively reduce that part. It's also visible, unlike hand washing.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,428 ✭✭✭This is it

Dear, oh dear, oh dear. Deary me.

Sad to hear, it can take up to 28 days to appear from reports I read early on when it was in China, fitness would help but there's reports coming out now that smokers are less likely to get it, France has gone as far as restricting sales of nicotine patches etc to pharmacy only and trial are under way with patients,

https://www.marketwatch.com/story/this-new-evidence-shows-nicotine-might-prevent-smokers-from-catching-coronavirus-2020-04-24

Have you read the articles? They are restricting sales to protect dopes overdosing on nicotine, not because of a rush for the cure.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,077 ✭✭✭Away With The Fairies

28 days for the virus to show up??? Is that correct?

• Registered Users Posts: 32,718 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Tandey wrote: »
    So your husband checked everywhere for water even under the back seats?

How long did he wait on the owner to come back? Lot of presumptions there.
    Oh wait your right the dog had access to an invisible water bowl....ffs
    He was there for 25 minutes he left with a security guard from the shopping centre waiting at the car and the other going to ask them to make an announcement in Tesco.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

almostover wrote: »
    Did you miss all the news about Italy and Spain over the last few weeks? What rock is it that you're living under?

The chances of you contracting maybe low but it's quite high for those working in the healthcare sector wholly end up treating selfish a**h*les like yourself.

The lockdown is crazy? I hear the WHO are paying good money for sound advice like that from highly qualified virologists like yourself

How many virologists are on NPHET?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,151 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Dear oh dear oh dear

Not a clue.

The statistical evidence so far shows it not to be such nonsense. In China, France, the UK, the US, they have found that in the same demographics adjusted for age and gender, smokers appear to be five times to ten times less likely to get this, or get it to the point where they need hospitalisation. Never mind that smokers will have worse lungs and hearts and worse clotting than the general population. They should be massively over represented, not massively under represented. Put it another way if any other drug or therapy or lifestyle was apparently showing that kind of prophylactic effect they'd be screaming from the rooftops about it.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

Wibbs wrote: »
    The statistical evidence so far shows it not to be such nonsense. In China, France, the UK, the US, they have found that in the same demographics adjusted for age and gender, smokers appear to be five times to ten times less likely to get this, or get it to the point where they need hospitalisation. Never mind that smokers will have worse lungs and hearts and worse clotting than the general population. They should be massively over represented, not massively under represented. Put it another way if any other drug or therapy or lifestyle was apparently showing that kind of prophylactic effect they'd be screaming from the rooftops about it.
    Smokers are high risk and as such being extra vigilant. The evidence you suggest shows these measures are effective.

Besides, when you go into a hospital knowing there is a chance the doctors need to decide who lives or dies most people are going to lie when asked if they smoke to put themselves on equal footing as a non smoker.

Who gets the ventilator, smoker or non smoker?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

I think you are going to be disappointed when restrictions are relaxed.

Exactly, restrictions are going to be relaxed no matter what. The govt are facing into a period where they are going to have to start tapering down the €350 payment, businesses are already closing down, they need to keep the people onside, so it will be 100% relaxed, and should be already.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,187 ✭✭✭FVP3

Das Reich wrote: »
    And the amount of people over 60 years old at the time (just after the Great War) and very small. And way more healthier than us with nearly no obese even watching things from just 30 years ago you would see people much more skinny.

They were, that is true. The reeling in the years for the 80s and 90s show that theres not that many over weight people. Were they healthier though? I am nearing 40 and not that fit but I can walk for miles and cycle to work ( when I did leave the house) most days which is 15km away. I would say most of the guys I work with at that age are reasonably fit.

When I was in my teens I knew very few 40 year olds who could climb one flight of stairs without nearly collapsing. Smoking you see. Kept em thin but unhealthy. I just assumed back then it was age.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,187 ✭✭✭FVP3

Desar oh dear oh dear my poor friend will you ever stop posting such nonsense.

For most people who get it the illness will be mild.

Look at Tubridy for instance, back at work quite quickly.

Try and find your tinfoil my poor poor man.

WTF are you replying to? I merely give a simple fact - that two people I know, who have worked from home for weeks, have been diagnosed with the virus and you respond with the cretinous incoherent ramblings of a quarter wit.

I didn't say they weren't "back at work". Both kept working.

Tinfoil hat my arse. Learn to read.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,432 ✭✭✭SusanC10

Has he had any contact with the outside world at all in the past month. It's very hard to lock ourselves up, he would still need to go shopping at the very least. Or somebody brought the virus into the house, kids mixing outside, postman bringing mail, alot of home deliveries and packages lately (virus can be on the outside envelope or package if the delivery person sneezed). Everything brought into a house should be considered contaminated.

I don't know the details as just got message this am. I know from previous messages that my friend (his wife) has being doing the Shopping and that he had been running in the mornings until he started to feel unwell.

It's kind of scary as he is the first person we actually know in person who has it. 2 friends were tested and negative and 1 friend was waiting to be tested but then the criteria changed and she was told that she wouldn't be tested.

Have you read the articles? They are restricting sales to protect dopes overdosing on nicotine, not because of a rush for the cure.

Yes I have, did you bother. Prevention is better than cure, ask a doctor if you don't believe me.

Nicotine could protect people from contracting the coronavirus, according to new research in France, where further trials are planned to test whether the substance could be used to prevent or treat the deadly illness.
    https://www.france24.com/en/20200423-france-testing-whether-nicotine-could-prevent-coronavirus-1

Smokers are high risk and as such being extra vigilant. The evidence you suggest shows these measures are effective.
    Nope. Impressive reframing though. This was seen in the very early days of the outbreak in Wuhan and in other Chinese cities affected. 50% of Chinese middle aged men are smokers, but under 10% of the middle aged men in the wards were smokers. The 30 years of (rightful) antismoking culture in the west has made few inroads there. But that campaign has primed you to negate any possible benefit in a rare case where smoking/nicotine displays one. It has before. You know anyone with ulcerative colitis? If you do it's pretty much a given they're not a smoker. Smoking shows a strong protective benefit in that condition. Some types of parkinsons too.

Smoking is still one of the worst things anyone can do to their health. It will kill 50% of users. This does not then logically mean there are no cases where it may be beneficial, or the main drug involved nicotine is. After all heroin and morphine addiction is desperately unhealthy, but without opioid drugs pain relief would be a hard road. Oh and next time when you go to your dentist, ask them to remove all cocaine related drugs from your treatment.
    Besides, when you go into a hospital knowing there is a chance the doctors need to decide who lives or dies most people are going to lie when asked if they smoke to put themselves on equal footing as a non smoker.

Who gets the ventilator, smoker or non smoker?
    The one most likely to have the better outcome. Simple as that. A 40 year old smoker with no other morbidities or the 40 year old obese diabetic with cardiovascular disease.

Ha i've to go to the dentist in an hour, gonna get her to load me up on the good stuff.....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,583 ✭✭✭✭kippy

Wibbs wrote: »
    To be fair it is for the vast majority of people who catch Covid19 a "mild" illness. That is they either feel fine, or a bit low or "sick as a pig", but don't require medical treatment. That majority thins down the older people are, or how health compromised they are, even how male they are, like for pretty much any infection.

This is not the 1918 flu that killed healthy 25 year olds in the millions. It's certainly not like smallpox that killed between a third and half of those infected of all ages.

It's killing people you'd mostly "expect" it to kill. Old people are more likely to die than young, men die younger than women, the already sick with systemic conditions are more likely to die that those without them. That's who the virus is killing. Even then it's not killing half of any of those groups. Not even close. It's a nasty virus yes, but compared to the pandemics in human history it's cute little puppy.

Yes, we are incredibly lucky that the virus has not gotten the same mortality rates as previous pandemics. However it is extremely contagious. The point of the current restrictions is not just to reduce deaths but to ensure the health service are not overwhelmed and that serious infections are kept to a manageable level. This much should be obvious to anyone but clearly isn't.

• Registered Users Posts: 288 ✭✭JL555

Exactly, restrictions are going to be relaxed no matter what. The govt are facing into a period where they are going to have to start tapering down the €350 payment, businesses are already closing down, they need to keep the people onside, so it will be 100% relaxed, and should be already.

While I agree that they are probably getting increasingly nervous about the cost of this, and it will be bigger than we can imagine across all aspects of society, not just in monetary terms, I cannot see them relaxing the restrictions 100%. The spin is already in play, Varadkar has more or less let it out in the way he spoke yesterday. I predict a very small token easing only, nothing more.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,583 ✭✭✭✭kippy

Hard facts from someone with relations working in the industry are still hard to swallow (for some). My family have less to do than this time last year...but let’s ignore that.

Keep your blinkers on.

With this deadly, killing virus, lets hang tight for the “second wave”.
    You wouldn't know what hard facts were unless they came out of your behind.

• Registered Users Posts: 462 ✭✭Sono Topolino

For all of you criticising people like me for occasionally going outside of the 2 km limit. Where is your evidence that this has made any difference to the infection rate? Do you have any hard data, or are you just relying on emotion?

Because I have seen one real report on 7000 cases that stated the risk of contracting the virus while outside was zero or very close to it.

If anyone has a reputable report or study that disproves the above, I would very much like to see it.

You idiots, graduates of Google University and Instagram College of Narcissism, who think you know more about this than the Chief Medical Officer of the HSE will be the reason this lockdown is prolonged. You were told to Stay the Fùck at Home, for your sake and the sake of your fellow citizens, and that’s what you should do unless and until you get a degree in Epidemiology and then you can debate the evidence.

Fall in line or take a running jump.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 CoronaWatch

I'm so angry with people ignoring the restrictions. My mother and uncle are dead because of this virus and now i see people walking around ignoring the advice we all have to follow. Its even on this site. Here is what made me register. I am so angry with attitiudes like this. Visiting 3 aldis to buy gardening equipment during the virus lockdown. People going to holiday homes or having house parties. I hate them.

www. boards. ie/ vbulletin/ showpost.php?p=113247475&postcount=4

• Registered Users Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭SAMTALK

Tony Holohan and Simon Harris would do well to come here and get all the advice being dished out instead of getting their information from the experts.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

look at galway town centre for a gauge of people's attitudes

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

fryup wrote: »
    look at galway town centre for a gauge of attitudes

And? No crowds plenty of distance between people I when Iooked.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,258 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

And? No crowds plenty of distance between people I when Iooked.

Just looked at theres hardly anyone about, same with the web cam at the GPO in Dublin. Extremely quiet

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Just looked at theres hardly anyone about, same with the web cam at the GPO in Dublin. Extremely quiet

All you will see at GPO is drug addicts

Advertisement