Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anyone willing to admit they're already starting to relax restrictions?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,690 ✭✭✭SteM

You are living in another era my friend. I take it you aren't married?

What's being married got to do with having takeaways? I'm married, we have a 7yo. As kids neither of us would have had takeaways regularly, maybe every few months as a treat, and as adults we would have 1 a month max.

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭Tip

You are a selfish Git. 😡 You are allowed walk run cycle just within 2km of your home . If everyone does as they please the virus will be uncontainable. What don’t u understand ????
    It may be you or one of your family member that gets Virus and dies

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

How do we actually know if this distancing is even effective or if it isn't just bullsh!t?

If the powers that be know exactly how this virus transmits and from what distance they must have known that for a long time.

How on Earth can this virus be spread by shaking hands but not by touching elbows or fist bumping? That makes ZERO sense.

I'm sure some armchair epidemiologists will enlighten me.

Other people are armchair epidemiologists for following advice of the worlds medical community, but you know better? ok so.

Is anyone advising physical contact anyway? As in go fist bump or touch elbows?Either way, the palms of your hands are what you touch everything with. Thats where its going to be if you touch people. Your palms are touching everything from door handles to food to yourself. How often do you rub your face with your elbows?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I5-dI74zxPg

Rodin wrote: »

And why should anyone obey the rules when the travellers get a free pass ?

They very much should be cracked down on, but I'm assuming you dont do everything travellers do generally? Thankfully they can generally be avoided so best bet is to continue to socially distance yourself from them in distances about 10 times what you would do for everyone else.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,845 ✭✭✭Antares35

seanl77 wrote: »
    100% agree with this, I work in a very busy tesco store and its been very noticeable the change in the last few days. We obviously still operate our social distancing, one in one out policy and clean trolleys etc. But the public have definitely relaxed, way fewer masks, trying to bring kids into the store. We now have to announce reminders over the speaker system that people are queuing outside, as customers are chatting and browsing in the aisles. Before this customers were flying around the store, now some are getting obnoxious about having to queue, being reminded of social distancing etc. It's obviously the minority acting this way, but there has definitely been a big change recently

This reminds me why I hate people :mad: It's as if there is just no personal responsibility at all. Ah shure what difference does it make if I lean over someone else, stand too close, flout the rules etc. If everyone did that it would be chaos.

If we could be guaranteed that only those who break the rules catch the disease then it wouldn't be so bad. The problem is, it will be others who suffer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭Rodin

wally79 wrote: »
    If you take your home with you how can you be more than 2km from it?

Was the gatherings of over 100 I was talking about.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,753 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

No, I am following the rules pretty much to the letter, have done a few more quick trips to Spar recently to pick up some essentials rather than waiting for the weekly big shop, but social distancing, using sanitiser, paying by card, etc. etc.

Walk the dog once a day within 2 km of the house, walk to the shop usually with the dog to pick up Flour, Bread, Milk or anything we are running low on, but that's about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,675 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Had to go to the pharmacy earlier, the village was very busy. Can't get over how busy it was.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭hmmm

What I'm seeing is people settling in for the long-haul while keeping up the social distancing - two people chatting outside with decent separation is low risk, and isn't attracting the usual curtain twitchers shouting from their bedrooms at everyone to get inside. People are calmly queuing outside shops. If someone goes for a walk that is 2.5km beyond their house, they aren't in fear of being tracked by the police helicopter.

We have a long haul in front of us, we will have to find a way to live with this.

Maybe this will slightly increase the risk of the virus spreading, but I'm not seeing much evidence of dangerous behaviour - e.g. friends meeting up, families mixing, long distance trips.

I am seeing a small number of mask wearers seeming to think they are invulnerable - I keep away from people with masks, I either assume they are infected, are a risk group, or are idiots.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,753 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

Had to go to the pharmacy earlier, the village was very busy. Can't get over how busy it was.

The Pharmacies are very busy, I usually ring in the morning ask them to prepare the prescription and pop along in the evening to pick it up for my wife, daughter whoever

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,432 ✭✭✭SusanC10

Neighbours (2 houses up) just got a car load of visitors incl Kids etc. First I have seen since this Lockdown began.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

How do we actually know if this distancing is even effective or if it isn't just bullsh!t?

If the powers that be know exactly how this virus transmits and from what distance they must have known that for a long time.

How on Earth can this virus be spread by shaking hands but not by touching elbows or fist bumping? That makes ZERO sense.

I'm sure some armchair epidemiologists will enlighten me.

Because do you often put your elbow or fist in your mouth or eye or nose ? but many people put their fingers in those places after touching hands people who may have coronavirus on their hands

https://www.goal.com/en-ie/news/montpelliers-junior-sambia-hospitalised-with-suspected/1aq9qg79hy7oy1o5b1q6h56en8

If a 23 year old professional footballer can end up in intensive care, its safe to say its not just people who were already on deaths door that need to be carefull.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,250 ✭✭✭Seamai

Antares35 wrote: »
    This reminds me why I hate people :mad: It's as if there is just no personal responsibility at all. Ah shure what difference does it make if I lean over someone else, stand too close, flout the rules etc. If everyone did that it would be chaos.

If we could be guaranteed that only those who break the rules catch the disease then it wouldn't be so bad. The problem is, it will be others who suffer.

You hear people saying that situations like this brings out the best in people, true in some cases but it also brings out the worst in others. I've witnessed some very selfish and ignorant behaviour over the last 6 weeks which leads me to believe that there are a lot of thick people out there. Why is it so difficult for people to grasp the fact that taking pressure off the pedal now pushes out any relaxation? If people want relaxation they have to work for it now by curtailing their lifestyle for another while.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,034 ✭✭✭rolling boh

Rightly or wrongly with no real end in sight it's no surprise people will get out and about that bit more as time goes on .If you like to exercise ie walking cycling etc brief exercise means different things to different people . Lots of cafes open for take outs and some people will like to support them especially if they were regulars before all this kicked off .

Rightly or wrongly with no real end in sight it's no surprise people will get out and about that bit more as time goes on .If you like to exercise ie walking cycling etc brief exercise means different things to different people . Lots of cafes open for take outs and some people will like to support them especially if they were regulars before all this kicked off .

It seems to be the thinking in government is that if they suggest a plan for May, such as an easing of the 2km rule, people will just do it now, and we will lose the next two weeks oft ‘lockdown’

This makes absolutely no sense at all to me. I think it more likely that people ignore the rules if there is no plan, with the assumption therefore that this current phase will go on for months. More likely IMO that people stay in if they know it’s only for X weeks, and then Y happens. That is certainly the way that I think.....I’d have way more discipline if the plan and period was more defined

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,950 ✭✭✭polesheep

SusanC10 wrote: »
    Neighbours (2 houses up) just got a car load of visitors incl Kids etc. First I have seen since this Lockdown began.

Just witnessed similar. It's beginning to unravel.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭SAMTALK

It's maddening to see the change this week. Traffic is way up on last week

Watching supermarkets and couples, families, groups all heading in together . People out running / cycling in groups

Im fit to cry. I have to work and dont have a choice. I go to work and go once a week to supermarket. half hour walk daily and thats it.

I can even see it in my workplace. they've all started to go back to the way it used to be.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 65 ✭✭keybordWarrior

polesheep wrote: »
    Just witnessed similar. It's beginning to unravel.

Feels like the unraveling already started from the beginning. There were so many people complaining about cabin fever 1-2 weeks in. Before this we had an obesity epidemic because people were just sitting-in eating junk food and watching tv. Now that they're effectively being asked to do that everyone wants to roam the fecking earth.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,000 ✭✭✭skallywag

More and more media attention to this in the last days.

I really think this is bad news for those hoping that the 2km rule would be relaxed on May 5th. It really believe that it was brought in simply because some folk could not be trusted to behave as they were being asked. I had high hopes until the last few days that it was going to be lifted on May 5th, but I now seriously doubt that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 593 ✭✭✭cavemeister

I think this country needs a massive bollocking from Leo Varadkar, Simon Harris and Michael D Higgins - All 3 of them will in turn tell us all to stay the fcuk at home. Prime time TV slot on all Irish channels. It's hard to believe just how many stupid people there are in this country.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Snow Garden

It seems to be the thinking in government is that if they suggest a plan for May, such as an easing of the 2km rule, people will just do it now, and we will lose the next two weeks oft ‘lockdown’

This makes absolutely no sense at all to me. I think it more likely that people ignore the rules if there is no plan, with the assumption therefore that this current phase will go on for months. More likely IMO that people stay in if they know it’s only for X weeks, and then Y happens. That is certainly the way that I think.....I’d have way more discipline if the plan and period was more defined

Agreed, I think people are tuning out and need a plan or some 'targets'. The government need to get to specifics using numbers/metrics.
    For example..."If we get the R0 down below 0.5, we will extend the 2km limit to 10km blah blah".

I am seeing more and more people flaunt the restrictions every day. Especially young people. The weather obviously making it worse.
    The government never really came down hard on the holiday home idiots and that started the rot.

• Registered Users Posts: 22 Rose of Lima

We've followed guidelines to the letter. Only one of us leaving the house to get essentials from the shop or pharmacy. We limit those to once a week to limit any potential exposure to CV.

We aren't in as much of a panic about it anymore. Not complacent in any way, we are just managing better and update ourselves on what is going on.

Although lockdown has slowed the spread of the virus, you can see complacency has set in. Impatience, stupidity and selfishness will unravel any good lockdown has done.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,861 ✭✭✭sporina

why aren't there ads on TV encouraging people to conform to the restrictions?

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭seanl77

Couldn't agree more, the silence is deafening from the government about what will happen 5th May. If some information was given out, I think it would actually strengthen people's resolve as it would show some light at the end of the tunnel! Even a small bit of good news ie hardware stores or a lengthening of the 2km limit. But nothing is forthcoming, another weekend of good weather will only make things worse

• Registered Users Posts: 2,355 ✭✭✭Jim Gazebo

skallywag wrote: »
    More and more media attention to this in the last days.

I really think this is bad news for those hoping that the 2km rule would be relaxed on May 5th. It really believe that it was brought in simply because some folk could not be trusted to behave as they were being asked. I had high hopes until the last few days that it was going to be lifted on May 5th, but I now seriously doubt that.

The 2km goes on beyond the 5th and I will be ignoring it. I am sticking to the rules and there should be some reward for that with an easing. And I would see as many people sticking to 2km as I would not. It's becoming harder and harder to see the same few streets everyday with no sign of an end.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,950 ✭✭✭polesheep

We've followed guidelines to the letter. Only one of us leaving the house to get essentials from the shop or pharmacy. We limit those to once a week to limit any potential exposure to CV.

We aren't in as much of a panic about it anymore. Not complacent in any way, we are just managing better and update ourselves on what is going on.

Although lockdown has slowed the spread of the virus, you can see complacency has set in. Impatience, stupidity and selfishness will unravel any good lockdown has done.

I disagree. I think that it's the lack of a plan from the government that is the issue.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Snow Garden

sporina wrote: »
    why aren't there ads on TV encouraging people to conform to the restrictions?

Those ads are on TV but I think many people have stopped watching the TV News - I hardly watch it myself anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,484 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

While I do think for the most part the government is doing a good job, its getting messy mixed messages about testing they are going back to mass testing?, talk of restrictions being lifted.

There should be a reasonably clear plan that details when the restriction will be lifted, which will the first one lifted and when will the last one be lifted a detailed map of how it will happen.

Then there need to be more practical and detailed guidance for the likes of nonfood shops on how to reopen, and guideline for hairdressers, dentist, chiropodist, etc its might be sterilising all counters, doors, after each customer, it might be the wearing of masks, I don't know but it would be proactive.

Hope is a very important aspect of all this.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,400 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Its the two km rule that maybe partially the cause of the increasing disobedience to my mind. Tell people they cannot do something and whats the thing they want to do the most?
    If we are allowing planes in from all and sundry with no restrictions how can you turn around and tell the public to stay within 2km of their homes when almost no other country (or maybe none) is doing so?
    People have access to the internet, its patently ridiculous otherwise every other country would be implementing it. Clearly our number of infections doesn't seem to be one jot different to those without such a rule, that why people are disobeying it in increasing numbers.
    If you want people to obey the rules in a democracy they need to make sense and stuff like the 2 km rule is far too overreaching and it seems people are voting with their feet so to speak.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

Advertisement